Moderate upgrade ideas?

dimpelli

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid 2, and I'd really like to get a new phone. I'm eligible for a new contract upgrade with Verizon, but I'd like to save it until I can afford the latest and greatest. So I'd like to pick up something newer than what I have to hold me over a few months. I really just want something better than what I have, preferable under or close to $100. LTE would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I'd mainly just like something that launched with Gingerbread, no physical keyboard, and has at least a 4" screen. I'd prefer to stay away from Motorola because I plan on doing a lot of custom ROMing. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If I were you I'd check out Craigslist or ebay and look for older model 4g phones there. Not sure about the price of older models, but they might be hovering around the $150 range now. The HTC Thunderbolt might be a good fit for you.

OP
D

dimpelli

Reaction score
Hmmm I forgot about the thunderbolt. It is a very kickass phone, and i can get one on ebay for about $135. Thanks. Any other suggestions? I for some reason am completely drawing a blank on the phones verizon launched earlier this year.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm I forgot about the thunderbolt. It is a very kickass phone, and i can get one on ebay for about $135. Thanks. Any other suggestions? I for some reason am completely drawing a blank on the phones verizon launched earlier this year.

There's the Samsung Charge, but not sure how ROM friendly that phone is.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Outside of 4g phones, the Inc2 is an excellent choice as well

OP
D

dimpelli

Reaction score
Outside of 4g phones, the Inc2 is an excellent choice as well

I've looked at the Incredible 2 as well and the thunderbolt is about the same price on ebay. But I figure if I can get an LTE phone for the same price, why not. The Incredible 2 is more powerful, but that can be taken care of with a good rom.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah I'd personally opt for the 4g device. I'm coming from the Inc1 so I'm used to horrible battery life, wouldn't be a big deal and I get 4g speeds.