Netflix Android App Update; 'WiFi only' Playback Feature to Help with Your Data Usage

skennelly

Reaction score
you're awfully quick to accuse me of "trolling to hate" on Verizon. The fact of the matter is that big red is doing everything in their power to take unlimited from their customers. I can no longer get a phone at upgrade pricing without losing my unlimited. New customer have NO CHOICE but to be put on the shared data plans... they cannot even get tiered data per line. VZW is doing everything in it's power to force customers to pay more and get less. It's nice that netfilx added this feature, good on them for looking out for their customers. However I still think it's complete BS that they ever even had to think to add a feature like this. VZW's reason for getting rid of unlimited data is complete bollocks and yet they still peddle their tripe to the masses. Most people who go into the store don't know their A** from a hole in the ground when it comes to wireless technology and data or smartphones etc. VZW knows this, which makes it easier for them to pull the wool over everyone's eyes because the few of us who do (read: those of us on these forums) are the vast minority and don't have a big enough voice to be heard.

So yeah go ahead and think I'm trolling on Verizon, I've been with them since they were Air touch and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon... (although if sprint rolls out their LTE network fast enough and keeps on improving their customer service I might)

And this has absolutely nothing to do with an app developer adding the ability to use an app over 3G/4G or the option of wifi. My point is that there are other threads dedicated to ranting about tiered and shared data plans. As opposed to doing it here in the thread related to a netflix update.

Back on topic: I'm glad the app got this update.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Krennel

Reaction score
It is not that you have to have Wi-Fi to use it. It is that you can select an option that only allows play over Wi-Fi. But you do not have to select that option. You can still use over 3g/4g network. Matter of fact, I believe the default is that it allows unlimited use over network data. The purpose of this feature is so people who have tiered data plans can choose to make sure they only watch Netflix over Wi-Fi so they don't find that they accidentally use too much data by watching Netflix over their network.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

That actually makes a lot more sense

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
This update was long overdue! Alot of times when watching netflix my phone would switch to 4g when on a low signal but now it doesn't! Saved my data and also I can have peace of mind!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

why not just turn on wifi before you use netflix?

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is not that you have to have Wi-Fi to use it. It is that you can select an option that only allows play over Wi-Fi. But you do not have to select that option. You can still use over 3g/4g network. Matter of fact, I believe the default is that it allows unlimited use over network data. The purpose of this feature is so people who have tiered data plans can choose to make sure they only watch Netflix over Wi-Fi so they don't find that they accidentally use too much data by watching Netflix over their network.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
Like me,with 4gb of data,thank you Netflix.Nothin else to see here.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol,I dont see why we're disagreeing on this.If you have unlimited data,leave off wi-fi.If you're like me,4gb of data,it's gonna help me.VZW told us what they were gonna do concerning the new plans,some people have to pay more,some save money with these new plans,we've all herd both sides.It is what it is.Life goes on,it's not the end of the world.Now that Im done preachin,can we take up an offering?:D

Last edited:

wililowb78

Reaction score
Resolved.

Well, time to uninstall Netflix. Its a worthless feature on my phone if I have to have wifi in order to use it.

inside the Netflix App, Scroll to the very bottom of the view-able listings, you will see a button with the settings icon of a gear cog and the word "Account" click that and the very top setting is Wi-Fi only, uncheck that box and PRESTO! Netflix works over 4G/3G.