Need your help - which phone for a WinMo convert?

jfriend33

Reaction score
Here is some useful information from howard forums. If referencing that forum here is against the rules please remove this and I am sorry.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1587074-Motorola-A855-Droid-on-PagePlus

They are referencing the original droid here but the ones you've mentioned should be just fine. The thread is 39 pages long, I do not expect you to thoroughly read it. Anyway, some things I like about the above link...

Copilot is probably your best bet for data-less navigation. Its only $9.99 from the market and you download and store the map data to the sd card.

Droid Wall. Ok I am not too familiar with this application but it makes sense. These phones are really used to an internet connection and sometimes accidents happen. This app basically is a firewall for your phone and allows you to specify which applications, if any, are granted access to your cellular data.

How much did they want for the d2g? If you didn't like it, then don't buy it. I can tell you that the operation speed of the droid 2 global is going to be faster than the droid x and probably the incredible too. Maybe with what you plan on using it for, not that noticeable, but still.

The camera on the droid x is the best in my opinion. But all the models you're mentioning are capable of recording video in 720p which is nice. But watch out when you're recording them, a short 13 minute video can end up at over 600 megabytes. You can just reduce the quality and not even notice it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

EDIT: what is the actual calling plan you are wanting? The amount of minutes and texts?

To the other forum members:
I have read a few times that in order for a verizon phone to be used on page plus that it must not have been active on verizon for 6 months. What's up with that?

Last edited:

hbsurfer

Reaction score
to romblur

Someone offered me a Droid 2 Global today... never heard of it. I googled, but it doesnt seem comparable to the X or Incredible. I handled an Incredible today, it was nice, but I think I want the better camera of the X.

The camera is important to me, especially audio recording - any thoughts on that?
1- If you look on CL you can find them. I just saw one on my local CL go for $150 but I didn't get it on time! They are there! Don't give up! The Inc1 is still awesome & I love it! I'm looking for one now for my fiance!
2- I'd be willing to send you a list of apps you might need from what it sounds like and how to get them free!
3- Camera! I have had the Inc1 & Now the Inc2(rooted & AWESOME!) and let me tell you! i have taken INCREDIBLE pics from southern cali beaches to niagra falls and there is NOT a better camera out there than on the Inc's!!! friends & i have compared and the drool on my pics! and now the Inc2 still has the awesome 8mp camera AND the front facing for video calls!
For $100-150 you can easily find Inc1's on CL! I would GLADLY take a Inc1 over most of the other smartphones! reasons: ease of use, easy rootable & customizeable, size, camera, good size for looking at docs & editing, and so many more! And plus- HTC just makes better stuff!!!
I will say the speaker on the Inc1 is a little better for music & videos than the Inc2 but I am not sure why! But if you use earbuds it wont matter! The volume for calls on both is good!
Trust me I research upon research on all phones! It all comes down to the phone that meets most of your needs because you will not find one that does all that you want! the "attempt" is to find the one that meets the most of your needs!
But--for opinion...go with the Inc2 and you will not regret it!!!

jfriend33

Reaction score
HBsurfer,

You reminded me of a few things. I think the incredible 1 might be slightly better than the droid x because of the user interface. I think I struggled with motorola's blur UI, but gradually adjusted, moved on, and went to a custom rom (cyanogenmod7!!).

If you can find an incredible 2 for a great price, awesome! Then by all means, get it. It might hold its value slightly more too. Until the incredible 6 HD comes out after the 3 4 and 5!

I think once the OP starts using android regularly, he will really see what its capable of. He will be much happier with android than blackberry, that's undeniable.

hbsurfer

Reaction score
good points!

my main concern with android is syncing!
i can never get it to work totally right like blackberry!
it always duplicates contacts, erases & deletes!
and when you have hundreds in your phone...it is quite a pain!

Yes---the Inc's hold their value way more than the others!

good points all!

OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
I've been looking and looking... had a MINT droid X bought yesterday till I checked the ESN - bad :( just my luck.

I've been reading and reading reviews, and today I came across a straight comparo between the X and Inc on phonearena.com After reading that, I'm leaning hard toward the X... I didnt realize it had a dedicated GPU and the photo comparison sealed it - the X is ten times the camera the Inc is... check the pic of the squirrel, if you go check it out.

jfriend33

Reaction score
I believe after 6 months the bad esn is removed from the blacklist.

Edit:

This thread has various remarks regarding bad esns on page plus.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1607075-Can-a-Verizon-phone-with-BAD-ESN-be-activated-on-pageplus-or-others/page2

Last edited:
OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
that might be true, but in 6 months a Droid X will be worth $25 instead of $75 I'd have to pay to get it now... I offered him $20, he said he'd keep it just for an MP3 player lol.

jfriend33

Reaction score
You are frugal!!!

OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
damn right! :)

In these times, you have to be. With the economic situation as it is, every penny counts. Plus, I'm a computer guy not a phone guy, so I dont switch phones until they are dying. My Omnia is dying, the screen is losing it's sensitivity. The Droid X is one or two generations old now, which is where I like to be.... being I have to pay for my own phone that is. I paid $100 for my first phone (Razr Maxx VE) and $100 for the Omnia (brand new in the box, christmas 2009) so I was hoping to get into a X for the same price.. but I need it NOW not in 3-4 months, so I was willing to pay an extra $50. I've seen them go on CL for $100, and a lot listed at $200, so $150 seemed a good middle ground.

Phones and video cards are similar - they are rediculously expensive when new, and depreciate like a rock. I remember paying $500 for a video card that isnt worth $50 today. Same with the Razr Maxx and Omnia, and sooner more than later on the as yet to be purchased X :(

OP
R

Rumblur

Reaction score
WELL ... let me tell ya'll.... Im now the proud owner and user of a Droid X. I did buy a mint condition X with a manufacture date of 3/11 for a crisp $100 bill. It came with the box, small paper manual, USB cable, grey smoke plastic slip cover and a wall charger. Verizon said the ESN was bad, Pageplus activated it without a word. OTA programming worked without a hitch, nothing was manually done. What SUCKED however, was the programming wiped out all the apps the previous owner had loaded on it! WTF?!? It had a bunch of games and other things I was looking forward to enjoying. Oh well, I will know better next time.

So far, there are some snags. I'm missing the optical mouse of the Omnia. This GUI/OS is going to take a while to figure out after being so used to the way the Omnia handled things like txt msgs, etc.

I'll be starting some new threads as I get assimilated to the Droid directive. Thanks all for posting and helping me make this decision.