1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need your help - which phone for a WinMo convert?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by Rumblur, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

Hey gang, I've been using a Samsung Omnia for about a year and half, and it's starting to drop calls and generally mess up. So, it's time to get another phone.

I'm using PagePlus, so I have to buy my own. I'm looking to spend $100-150 max. I've seen all sorts on the local Craigslist, but I have no idea what Im looking at.., which is why I turned here.

What I want - at least a 2nd gen Droid, 3rd maybe? I dont even know where they are gen wise.

What I need a smart phone for is surfing basic websites (facebook, email, google etc), picture taking and minor editing, calculator, note pad, wifi, GPS would be nice if I dont have to pay extra for it, a good txt keyboard, good video playback (vid recording too), and MP3 player that actually works with ease.

Games would be great, but not a huge necessity.

I was looking at a DroidX but damn that thing is huge... I need a smaller phone, one that goes well in the pocket. I'd also like one with decent 3rd party accessories, as in a good vertical belt case or something.

I hate all things apple, so no iphone4 for me.

What do you recommend? (many thanks ahead of time for any and all feedback)
  2. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I am surprised you have not received any responses yet. Maybe because there are so many great android phones out there that it is hard to recommend just one.

I can not imagine using an omnia for that long. My omnia listed me about 6 months before I need something more. I think you would be happy with any droid.

I had the original moto droid. Great phone but it got too bogged down with all I wanted to do with it. I went from that to the HTC incredible. An excellent phone, probably almost as good as the incredible2 with a slightly smaller screen. (My incredible and all its accessories are for sale). It has a beautiful display, lots of memory, more phone storage than you will ever need and libre has always worked flawlessly for me.

If you buy off of craigslist, you have to make sure it has a clean esn. And do not take the sellers word for it (sometimes they don't even know what that means). How do you make sure it has a clean esn? Before you hand over the money for the phone, tell the person you want to make sure it has a clean esn and then dial *228, option 1 to activate it. If it is clean, it will take you through the activation process. If it is not, then it will tell you that the phone can not be activated.

Hope this helps in your search.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  3. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

On PagePlus I don't believe it matters if the ESN is flagged with Verizon, but I could be mistaken. The Droid 2 is a great phone and will do everything you need. Obviously things will be different from WinMo, but most features are integrated or can be recreated with an app. The Droid 3 was just released, but you will not find one in that price range. If you want a physical keyboard the Droid 2 is a great option. And as to the Droid X, it looks daunting at first, but with how thin it is, it is very pocketable. More so than the Droid 1 (or 2) in my opinion since it is much thinner. After having my X, the Droid seems too small to me. I really love the larger screen, especially for the onscreen keyboard. Much easier to use on a larger screen.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!
  4. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

thanks for the replies...

I really like the Droid X, features wise.... I've heard horror stories of it dropping calls, any truth to that?

But, the sheer size of that model.... doesnt look real pocket friendly.

I think I want a 2nd generation Droid. I do not want a 'real' keyboard, virtual is fine. The less moving parts the better IMHO.

So with that said, would ya'll recommend the X, Incredible, or? I know NOTHING about the various models, other than walking by the verizon store and looking at them... but those people have no clue about features or why one is better than the other.

I dont want to go back to WinMO, it's just a dying platform. I see the droid being the new standard.
  5. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

I have not had any issues with dropping calls on my X.

If you don't need a physical kb the Incredible is a great very capable phone with a great developer base. I love motorola androids and I really love the X, but I would get an incredible over the D2.

Posted wirelessly from the magic handheld forum machine.
  6. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Same here, have had my DX since Sept. last year and have never had a dropped call.

The Droid Incredible and Incredible 2 would be good choices IMO. if you want a smaller phone.
  7. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

Thanks, sounds like it's down between the X or Incredible, size depending.

I've been thinking about how I use my phone, and what is most important to me.

I live out in the country, so I need the best reception possible. The Omnia drops a lot of calls, and rarely ever shows more than 1 bar.

The other thing that I hate about the Omnia is it's virtual keyboard - I like the virtual part, but hate the "z" and "a" keys, as they rarely ever work because they are nearest the edge! I end up having to turn the phone sideways and using the tip of a nail to hit them.

A perk would be GPS, if it's free. Using PagePlus, I get 20mb of web data, so I if I could use GPS without having to hit the web, it would be great.
  8. jfriend33

jfriend33 Member

I would honestly say any droid is gonna be a walk in the park for you coming from your omnia. Even the OG Droid (first droid) you would like, even without the keyboard slid out, its very compact and easy to type on. Not to mention easy to play with and tweak! You can easily find one for under 100 if you look hard. And it does NOT need a clear esn (which I think is a little ridiculous personally but at least it benefits you)...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  9. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

I would really like something from at least the 2nd generation of Droid, plus I dont want anything that slides. But thanks for telling me about gen 1 stuff, I did play with one when they came out, it was a little big and I didnt like the keyboard.

I went with the Omnia because I was coming out of a WinCE PDA and flip phone. The Omnia has served me well, but I see it as a dying platform and the Droid is growing daily.

Looks like the choice is between an X and Incredible. Any other thoughts?
  10. densetsu86

densetsu86 New Member

My brother has the DROID x and never has had a problem with it. Plus you get the a good amount of space for apps and comes with a 16 gb card. Also the 1 bar issue could be just where you live and not the phone. I recently moved and before the move I always had 3g and 4 bars now where I currently live I get 1-2 bars and 3 if im lucky and I live less then a mile and a half from two Verizon cell towers and there are 7 in a 6 mile radius of where I live its just a ****ty dead zone that can only be rectified by buying a $250 signal booster that feeds off of your isp.

Even though I like my DROID x2 I can' t recommend it. To Manny stupid problems but this.much is nothing compared to my old ****ty lg env touch.
    Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  11. jfriend33

jfriend33 Member

I really think I'm not the most qualified to comment on this aspect, but... as far as I know, the signal extenders are basically free if you call verizon.

Also, I must say I would give you major props if you are able to consume < 20 MBs of data a month on a newer droid. I'm sure its been done, but it has to be difficult. Google maps does use data. There may be a way to cache a map area from wifi though. There are a few gps options that actually download the map directly to your sd card.

Pandora and Slacker let you cache your fav stations over wifi, which saves your battery too. You would have to be really good with using certain widgets on the phone. Even out of the box, a droid x doesn't have a widget for 100% disabling all internet but it has one to disable syncing of certain apps etc.

I'm sure you already have explored this but you could also consider going with virgin mobile. They have a plan for 35 a month that has unltd data but only 300 mins of calling. I think the other carrier alternative would be boost mobile only because the plan price decreases with consistent payments. I need the best coverage so I stick with verizon.

12. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

Thanks JFriend. I usually use about 5mb of web on my Omnia these days, but all I do is the usual - facebook, fark, craigslist etc. I'm never far from a PC so I rarely use my phone for web use unless I'm in the road or away. The GPS thing bothers me, as I'd like to use it if I could just cache all the data to the phone and not have to rely on internet connectivity for it to work.

I talk on my phone probably 200 hours a month (so says the phone) and do maybe 300 or so texts. Where I live (out in the boonies), Virgin has no service. TMobile and ATT arent bad, but I prefer the pre-paid plan ideas... I like knowing exactly how much my bill will be without the carrier having any sneaky ways of adding fees or taxes etc.
  13. hbsurfer

hbsurfer New Member

DInc2 WITHOUT HESITATION!!!

I am rooted and have the GB update and it rocks!!!
    speeds like lightning! and everything is working awesome!!!

I'm thinking of going to use the Cynmod7....i'll see!

camera is better @ 8mp! world phone! nice med size screen @ 4"!
    etc, etc, etc....!

HTC is way better in my opinion! And it got me away from Blackberry after YEARS of faithfully being a crackberry!

Don't hesitate!!!
    GO GET IT!!!!
  14. hbsurfer

hbsurfer New Member

And coverage you won't beat Verizon!!!
    You REALLY SHOULD go with the DInc2!!!
    For ALL reasons!!!
  15. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

lol... I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I dont want to spend that much money. Remember, I'm buying the phone used from Craigslist or ebay possibly. I was planning on spending $100-150 max unless it's got a lot of accessories. Also, I'm realistic... I will be using the phone for about a year or two, so I need something I'm going to actually use for 50% PHONE and 50% everything else (pics, movies, word processing, calc, music etc).

Someone offered me a Droid 2 Global today... never heard of it. I googled, but it doesnt seem comparable to the X or Incredible. I handled an Incredible today, it was nice, but I think I want the better camera of the X.

The camera is important to me, especially audio recording - any thoughts on that?
  16. jfriend33

jfriend33 Member

Here is some useful information from howard forums. If referencing that forum here is against the rules please remove this and I am sorry.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1587074-Motorola-A855-Droid-on-PagePlus

They are referencing the original droid here but the ones you've mentioned should be just fine. The thread is 39 pages long, I do not expect you to thoroughly read it. Anyway, some things I like about the above link...

Copilot is probably your best bet for data-less navigation. Its only $9.99 from the market and you download and store the map data to the sd card.

Droid Wall. Ok I am not too familiar with this application but it makes sense. These phones are really used to an internet connection and sometimes accidents happen. This app basically is a firewall for your phone and allows you to specify which applications, if any, are granted access to your cellular data.

How much did they want for the d2g? If you didn't like it, then don't buy it. I can tell you that the operation speed of the droid 2 global is going to be faster than the droid x and probably the incredible too. Maybe with what you plan on using it for, not that noticeable, but still.

The camera on the droid x is the best in my opinion. But all the models you're mentioning are capable of recording video in 720p which is nice. But watch out when you're recording them, a short 13 minute video can end up at over 600 megabytes. You can just reduce the quality and not even notice it.

EDIT: what is the actual calling plan you are wanting? The amount of minutes and texts?

To the other forum members:
    I have read a few times that in order for a verizon phone to be used on page plus that it must not have been active on verizon for 6 months. What's up with that?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  17. hbsurfer

hbsurfer New Member

to romblur

Someone offered me a Droid 2 Global today... never heard of it. I googled, but it doesnt seem comparable to the X or Incredible. I handled an Incredible today, it was nice, but I think I want the better camera of the X.

The camera is important to me, especially audio recording - any thoughts on that?
    1- If you look on CL you can find them. I just saw one on my local CL go for $150 but I didn't get it on time! They are there! Don't give up! The Inc1 is still awesome & I love it! I'm looking for one now for my fiance!
    2- I'd be willing to send you a list of apps you might need from what it sounds like and how to get them free!
    3- Camera! I have had the Inc1 & Now the Inc2(rooted & AWESOME!) and let me tell you! i have taken INCREDIBLE pics from southern cali beaches to niagra falls and there is NOT a better camera out there than on the Inc's!!! friends & i have compared and the drool on my pics! and now the Inc2 still has the awesome 8mp camera AND the front facing for video calls!
    For $100-150 you can easily find Inc1's on CL! I would GLADLY take a Inc1 over most of the other smartphones! reasons: ease of use, easy rootable & customizeable, size, camera, good size for looking at docs & editing, and so many more! And plus- HTC just makes better stuff!!!
    I will say the speaker on the Inc1 is a little better for music & videos than the Inc2 but I am not sure why! But if you use earbuds it wont matter! The volume for calls on both is good!
    Trust me I research upon research on all phones! It all comes down to the phone that meets most of your needs because you will not find one that does all that you want! the "attempt" is to find the one that meets the most of your needs!
    But--for opinion...go with the Inc2 and you will not regret it!!!
  18. jfriend33

jfriend33 Member

HBsurfer,

You reminded me of a few things. I think the incredible 1 might be slightly better than the droid x because of the user interface. I think I struggled with motorola's blur UI, but gradually adjusted, moved on, and went to a custom rom (cyanogenmod7!!).

If you can find an incredible 2 for a great price, awesome! Then by all means, get it. It might hold its value slightly more too. Until the incredible 6 HD comes out after the 3 4 and 5!

I think once the OP starts using android regularly, he will really see what its capable of. He will be much happier with android than blackberry, that's undeniable.
  19. hbsurfer

hbsurfer New Member

good points!

my main concern with android is syncing!
    i can never get it to work totally right like blackberry!
    it always duplicates contacts, erases & deletes!
    and when you have hundreds in your phone...it is quite a pain!

Yes---the Inc's hold their value way more than the others!

good points all!
  20. Rumblur

Rumblur New Member

I've been looking and looking... had a MINT droid X bought yesterday till I checked the ESN - bad :( just my luck.

I've been reading and reading reviews, and today I came across a straight comparo between the X and Inc on phonearena.com After reading that, I'm leaning hard toward the X... I didnt realize it had a dedicated GPU and the photo comparison sealed it - the X is ten times the camera the Inc is... check the pic of the squirrel, if you go check it out.
Search tags for this page

is a bad esn lifted after 6 months

is it true verizon phone with bad esn will be lifted after s