Need to Recover Droid 2, but there's a catch

firefurby

Reaction score
I've been search around, but have been coming up empty.

Is it possible to recover the Droid 2 from the stock bootloader. All I can get to is the bootloader screen that comes up by pressing X and Power and then Search.

I had Fission 2.2.1 installed on my phone, but I was having some issues, so I was using the unlocked bootloader to recover to a previous backup. I left my phone alone and when I came back it was off. I thought it had enough battery but iono what happened. Anyway, I can't seem to boot back into the other recovery mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
F

firefurby

Reaction score
I am looking into that now, but that makes it seem like I have to boot into the OS which I cannot do. I am currently installing it and going to give it a go. Any pointers would be awesome.

EDIT: Note entirely sure what happened, but the phone magically booted. I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:

PanicProne

Reaction score
the only thing i can suggest you do is try to use RSD lite and flash it back to the stock...:blackdroid:

D

dankarlinski

once you get booted, i would bootstrap (assuming you are running a custom rom) it and make a nandroid of whatever you are currently running. just to be on the safe side

OP
F

firefurby

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to use RSD Lite to get the phone up and running again. I made a backup, but I don't know how much I trust those since this all started by me trying to restore a backup and it never finishing... Ah well, think I will just chill on the ROM flashing for a bit until there is more of a reason to do it, i.e. new kernels :-D Thanks again!

pkbest

Reaction score
I've been search around, but have been coming up empty.

Is it possible to recover the Droid 2 from the stock bootloader. All I can get to is the bootloader screen that comes up by pressing X and Power and then Search.

I had Fission 2.2.1 installed on my phone, but I was having some issues, so I was using the unlocked bootloader to recover to a previous backup. I left my phone alone and when I came back it was off. I thought it had enough battery but iono what happened. Anyway, I can't seem to boot back into the other recovery mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had to do this last night. It's a bit of a pain but it is possible. Droid 2 you dont have to press X and Power. What I would do is download TBH's full sbf file for VZW 955 from the sticky in ROM's thread. Now here is step by step what I did to fix mine.

1. Download and Install RSD Lite 4.8 (must be 4.8)
2. Download SBF image for Droid 2.
3. Download drivers for Droid 2 from Motorola (if they are not already installed that is..mine were already there)
4. Remove battery cover and batter from droid 2.
5. Slide out keyboard, plug in USB cable to pc and phone.
6. Hold down the UP arrow on your keypad (d-pad as some ppl have been refering to)
7. Place batter in phone while still holding down UP arrow.
8. Allow phone to boot, it should go to motorla M and then a black screen.
9 Once you see black screen, bootloader should appear and say something about ready for flash or something to that nature..you'll know..im sure of it.
10. let of of up arrow.
11. open RSD Lite. If your phone is connected to pc then it will recognize in RSD LIte.
12. Select the SBF file from download and click start/begin.
13. Allow it to flash your phone.. it may take some time.
14. It will tell you when it is complete. Phone will reboot and you will be stock NO ROOT.

From there.. i rerooted, installed koush's bootloader again... and reflashed Squidly's rom since thats who i usually use for ROM's.
I have never played with Fission roms.. they seem to be more experimental on the Droid 2 than Squidly's. Personal opinion.. please no flames/insults.

Just noticed you got it to work.. congrats man. Ill leave this here for other ppl to reference. Never know when someone might need the help.

Last edited: