Need opinions please

tnhockey

Reaction score
so i currently have the Dinc, but i cant stand the awful battery life and terrible reception anymore so im thinking of picking up a Dx. after reading some threads, it doesnt seem like the Dx's battery life is any better. and i just noticed it didnt get froyo 2.2 yet, and that made my battery life even worse. my gf has the samsung vibrant on tmobile and she gets great battery life...so i was also thinking about holding out for the samsung fascinate. i guess im just torn between the two right now =/

Technoman

Reaction score
so i currently have the Dinc, but i cant stand the awful battery life and terrible reception anymore so im thinking of picking up a Dx. after reading some threads, it doesnt seem like the Dx's battery life is any better. and i just noticed it didnt get froyo 2.2 yet, and that made my battery life even worse. my gf has the samsung vibrant on tmobile and she gets great battery life...so i was also thinking about holding out for the samsung fascinate. i guess im just torn between the two right now =/

The DX has fine battery life for the most part. You do have to be careful to not leave some options enabled (WIFI and GPS) if they do not have clear signal. They seem to eat battery attempting to connect constantly.

The fascinate looks like an OK phone if you would like for someone to force BING (I just can't understand this) MAPS and search on you by default.

You can download Google Maps and Google search, but the phone by default (I am repeating this from an article posted on Droid Life) uses BING (a microsoft built interface). I also read in same article that you cannot remove BING or change it being the default.

Also, there are many posts and articles stating that the state AMOLED screen over-saturates pictures and such to give a more vibrant look to images and videos. If you have a heavy white in a picture or video... it will look horribly washed out.

Your choice, but I thought I would share what I have read.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Samsung Fascinate for Verizon is going to have Bing as it's default search, and rumored to not have the same integration with Google apps.

However we'll have to wait til the device is in hand to get some finality on the subject.

OP
tnhockey

tnhockey

Reaction score
alright cool, thanks guys. im leaning more towards the droid x i suppose. i would like a phone with better reception as well since the Dinc a joke.

Reaction score
I was very torn between the Fascinate and the X too, even after I had my X. My Lt. at work has the ATT Samsung Captivate so I've had ample time to play with one. The Samsung phone is excellent in my opinion. The phone seems just a tiny bit faster than my X (almost unnoticeable) and there's no comparison when playing games or watching HD CG videos. The Samsung absolutely blows the X away as far as the GPU is concerned. The screens are give and take. The SAMOLED screen looks AMAZING for nature/scenic things, but to me, people look kinda orange and the whites have a blue tint. The X has more accurate colors in my opinion, but the Samsung has truer blacks, kinda like the difference between plasma and LCD, but even though SAMOLED is supposed to be the top, my preference goes to the LCD in the X. The battery life on my X is actually better than the battery life on his Samsung, we work together for 24 hours at a time, so we've had time to test it, and the X typically gets 4 or so hours more life before needing to go on a charger.
The biggest difference between the two in my opinion is the attitude of the two companies. The bootloader on the Samsung has already been unlocked, and Samsung isnt fighting with the Android community, sending C&D orders like Moto is for the X. This alone would be enough to sway me over to the Fascinate, but I'm waiting to see if the Samsung gets very many developers behind it. The cracked bootloader is great, but it's essentially worthless if nobody is developing custom ROM's for it lol. So for now I'll be sticking with the X, but keeping my eye on the development for the Fascinate, and if enough of the right people start cranking out hacks for it, I'll probably sell my X and buy one full retail.

OP
tnhockey

tnhockey

Reaction score
wow thanks. that was really helpful. as ive been reading more n more it seems the reception on the dx is very good and the battery life seems to be good as well. i think for now im going to try n get my hands on a dx and like you said, hold out on the fascinate. the only other appeal the fascinate has to me is swype.

Reaction score
wow thanks. that was really helpful. as ive been reading more n more it seems the reception on the dx is very good and the battery life seems to be good as well. i think for now im going to try n get my hands on a dx and like you said, hold out on the fascinate. the only other appeal the fascinate has to me is swype.
The X also has swype pre-installed :)

OP
tnhockey

tnhockey

Reaction score
ohhh, well X it is then haha. thanks.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
The Incredible is not a bad phone...I had one, horrible battery life but otherwise a great phone. I have the X now, have never turned back!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Review: Samsung Fascinate : Video Tour (Phone Scoop)

Guess this confirms the bing thing. Still would go X, that phone is still made my Samsung. I find when compaines make to many products they can all suffer as a whole. IE anything LG makes. Def don't like being made to use Microsoft stuff.

droidphreak

Reaction score
I had an Dinc as well. After about three weeks I turned it in for a X. Battery life and call reception on the Dinc was horrible. Now Im a X-Man. And I LOVE it. Great reception and Battery life! Not to mention the amazing screen. I could gush all day about this phone. Get the X, it wont disappoint.

OP
tnhockey

tnhockey

Reaction score
So I finally played with the x at a vzn store today. Seems pretty sweet. Just had a couple questions before I get one. Is there a way to have the vibrate a little when youre typing? My dinc does and it find it easier to type on the touch screen that way. And I tried to use the swype on it but it wasnt working but said it was on. And is there an led notification like on the d1 and dinc for texts, missed calls, etc? Sorry, I just don't want to regret my decision.

Technoman

Reaction score
So I finally played with the x at a vzn store today. Seems pretty sweet. Just had a couple questions before I get one. Is there a way to have the vibrate a little when youre typing? My dinc does and it find it easier to type on the touch screen that way. And I tried to use the swype on it but it wasnt working but said it was on. And is there an led notification like on the d1 and dinc for texts, missed calls, etc? Sorry, I just don't want to regret my decision.

Yes, you can have the thing vibrate when you type (I can't imagine why you would want this turned on). If Swype wasn't working it was probably because someone mucked the phone up. The LED is there and does all the normal notifications if they are enabled.