Need help, wont read SD card

Top_Droid

Reaction score
I just got a new X2, and pug a 16gb SD card in it, and for some reason it wont read it normally. When I look in root explorer it telly me I only have a total of 4gb.

When I hook it up to my computer it shows up like I have 2 SD cards a 4gb and a 14gb. I noteced if j go into SD catd-ext it shows the 14gb but when I'm downloading stuff it doesn't want to download to the actual SD card (with more memory)

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
The X2 has TWO SD-CARDS in it. An internal one hardwired into the system with 4gb and the external one. Look in the directory sdcard-ext to see the items stored on your 16gb card. Unfortunately many android programs do not fully recognize this setup. I think there is an app that will let you rename your cards so that you can make better use of them.

J

JriderG

I don't know if I would call internal memory an SD card

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
I don't know if I would call internal memory an SD card

Technically from a hardware POV you are correct but the OS on a Droid X2 addresses it as such. And it is mounted at /sdcard and many programs assume that it is external memory.

J

JriderG

Seems like a good thing though. On the og X you can't really access it without root I believe.

OP
Top_Droid

Top_Droid

Reaction score
The X2 has TWO SD-CARDS in it. An internal one hardwired into the system with 4gb and the external one. Look in the directory sdcard-ext to see the items stored on your 16gb card. Unfortunately many android programs do not fully recognize this setup. I think there is an app that will let you rename your cards so that you can make better use of them.

Thanks for the info, I just changed the name w/ root explorer and it seems to work. I was able to install the theme I wanted. lets see if it sticks now.

Reaction score
Not really. The way they did it now is inconsistent and confusing. Menus and items in MotoBlur apps name them internal(/sdcard) and sdcard (/sdcard-ext). Apps at the program level will access the directory tree and goto the wrong place unless they are aware of X2 new directory structure. It is bad programing and probably violates the Google sdk.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I just changed the name w/ root explorer and it seems to work. I was able to install the theme I wanted. lets see if it sticks now.

You may break things like the camera app if you do that. If you changed one then you need to change the name of the other one as well.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think we're going to see that Ice Cream Sandwich is designed around this sdcard/sdcard-ext scheme. As pointed out by nline, you are probably going to see issue from the rename.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seems like a good thing though. On the og X you can't really access it without root I believe.

The reason for that is the x2 uses party of the 8 gig internal storage like an extra memory card... With the x it's all internal... So it's considered part of the system directory.... So you need system level access(ie root) to access it

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

OP
Top_Droid

Top_Droid

Reaction score
The reason for that is the x2 uses party of the 8 gig internal storage like an extra memory card... With the x it's all internal... So it's considered part of the system directory.... So you need system level access(ie root) to access it

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

so is there a way to change it to work like the original DX if I have root?...because I'm still having problems and changing the names doesn't seem to want to stick

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sadly... i don't have an x2 to play with all the time... i just help my friend with his....
but... aside from rewriting the system to read the full 8 as internal memory...
i don't think so...
the only side step i can think of.. is if you go into the memory settings and tell it to use the actual micro as the default memory....