Need help with getting back to stock!!!

wdcspurs

Reaction score
I had my phone rooted but have unrooted it with the Z4? app. I have been reading everywhere that in order for my phone to be updated OTA or manually with a new OS, it has to be back to a stock OS. So, since I "unrooted" my phone, am I at that point , or do iI have to go throught the whole flash the SBF process? I have downloaded everything I need to do that, but dont want to if it isnt necessary. Thanks

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if all you did was root to use apps then you should be fine. if you removed bloatware apps then you will have to replace those in the event of an update. if you flashed a rom you would have to restore a backup or do an sbf.

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score
Also, when I get back to the stock OS, do I still have all of my apps and info on the phone? I was thinking just to reset my phone if I lose everything when going back to the stock OS.

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score
if all you did was root to use apps then you should be fine. if you removed bloatware apps then you will have to replace those in the event of an update. if you flashed a rom you would have to restore a backup or do an sbf.

I didnt flash any roms and just rooted for 2 apps. What happens when they send the OTA and if I didnt have the stock OS in place, am I aware that they tried the OTA?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you just rooted for apps then you're fine. If you are unrooted now then you will get a notification when its time to upgrade.

tappin and a talkin

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score

I tried manually installing the Gingerbread earlier and it kept coming up with an error, so I assumed it was because I needed to roll back the OS.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What system version are you currently on and how did you try to flash the update

tappin and a talkin

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score
What system version are you currently on and how did you try to flash the update

tappin and a talkin

2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.us

I downloaded the update.zip from mydroid life and a 2nd one people reccomended through a link on Android Central. I started the phone and pressed a few buttons and ended up with the option to apply the update.zip from the SD card. It got like half way through it and said it failed.