NEED HELP: upgrading to D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18 from cdma_maserati_9.8.2O-72_VZW-1

taspankya

Reaction score
i have a fresh flash of cdma_maserati_9.8.2O-72_VZW-18-2_1ff on my device
i went into the bootloader, then recovery
i chose to install from sd card - on the sd card i have both "D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18.zip" and D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18 renamed to "update.zip"

i tried both and neither zip will install.
after 3 or 4 steps it gets to verifying it then the install abends.

i am doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated. thanks

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
did you verify the md5 of the file to make sure its good?
if there was no md5 supplied by the op, try re-downloading the file.
its failing right away so im guessing either, the file is bad, or your phone is on the wrong version now to allow it to upgrade to this file.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i read through this thread earlier http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/239898-d4-stock-de-odexed-jb-98-72-18-a.html
looking for some tips to help you, but i didnt post to help you because i was kinda confused.
in the op it says "tested with safe strap", yet in the thread it says to flash it as an update like you are doing.
i thought it was generally not advised to flash roms outside of safe strap on phones with a locked bootloader.
my only concern if it were my phone would be making sure i could flash it back to stock if i wanted to for any reason.

i might just be over thinking this, but i thought i would throw it out there any way.

OP
taspankya

taspankya

Reaction score
i read through this thread earlier http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/239898-d4-stock-de-odexed-jb-98-72-18-a.html
looking for some tips to help you, but i didnt post to help you because i was kinda confused.
in the op it says "tested with safe strap", yet in the thread it says to flash it as an update like you are doing.
i thought it was generally not advised to flash roms outside of safe strap on phones with a locked bootloader.
my only concern if it were my phone would be making sure i could flash it back to stock if i wanted to for any reason.

i might just be over thinking this, but i thought i would throw it out there any way.

thanks for the response.
yea i did what the fellow on post 54 of page 6 said to do. Its just not working... I'm on a fresh .sbf of the file i put in my OP.
downloaded the rom a few times to make sure the file wasn't corrupt.

GigaJake

Reaction score
The instructions provided in the other thread were how to fastboot your phone, and if you have a clean jellybean install on your stock system then you're golden.

Custom roms are not meant to be flashed through the stock recovery. The stock recovery is for flashing official moto-signed update.zips ONLY.

To install this rom you will need to flash it through safestrap.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
taspankya

taspankya

Reaction score
ok, so it basically my issue has everything to do with "D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18" not being "signed" by moto ?
if i recall, i remember seeing that in the log as it tries to install if that was the issue .. so I was kind of thrown off.

i'll try the safestrap route.
i'll follow How To Install CyanogenMod Android for Motorola Droid 4 ("maserati") - CyanogenMod for the instructions, but use fishbear's "D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18" rom
hopefully that will get me through this.

thanks for the help

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
The instructions provided in the other thread were how to fastboot your phone, and if you have a clean jellybean install on your stock system then you're golden.

Custom roms are not meant to be flashed through the stock recovery. The stock recovery is for flashing official moto-signed update.zips ONLY.

To install this rom you will need to flash it through safestrap.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

They weren't signed, that's what I was getting at. I was having a brain fart, thanks for clearing that up :)

Sent From My RMHD

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
ok, so it basically my issue has everything to do with "D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18" not being "signed" by moto ?
if i recall, i remember seeing that in the log as it tries to install if that was the issue .. so I was kind of thrown off.

i'll try the safestrap route.
i'll follow How To Install CyanogenMod Android for Motorola Droid 4 ("maserati") - CyanogenMod for the instructions, but use fishbear's "D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18" rom
hopefully that will get me through this.

thanks for the help

It should work with safe strap, let us know how you make out.
That guide looks good, just use your file as you said.

Sent From My RMHD

OP
taspankya

taspankya

Reaction score
just an update:

i was able to safestrap the device and install into rom slot1: D4_deodexed_JB_98.72.18
not really the way i wanted to go about it, but
alls well that ends well.
thanks for the help.