Natural Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment

Lawrencep

Reaction score
My obsessive/compulsive behavior started quiet unexpectedly. When I was in high school, I began checking whether I turned off the light switch or not two or three times every time I would leave a room. At first, I did not think too much about this behavior. It is much better to be sure than sorry, right? The ironic thing was I did remember that I turned the light switch off. Nevertheless, I still wanted to come back and check several times. This time, I did not even think about obsessive compulsive disorder treatment
Over the next few years, this abnormal behavior has escalated to checking the light switch four or five times each time I would leave a room. Moreover, this behavior has spread to checking the stove. Each time, I would cook something on my stove, I had to check four or five times again for it to be off.
I began to be bothered by these behaviors because they took much of my time. Finally, I decided to break my habits on my own. To my own surprise, I couldn't. I felt much better by checking the stove and the light switch multiple times. I felt like it needed to be done to be safe in the house. At first, these behaviors even relieved my anxiety.
When I was a junior in college, I decided to get some treatment. During this time, I also struggled with a severe speech impediment (stuttering) that I have developed over the years. It consisted of spasmodic speech and resembled many anxiety disorders in terms of its symptoms. I went to my college psychologist and was referred subsequently to my school psychiatrist. He was quick to put me on various anti-anxiety medications. I thought that medications would treat all conditions at once.