Narrowed it to 2

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I cant imagine using a phone with no SD slot again. That was a huge drawback for me. Expansion is what Android is all about.

OP
Papasmurf

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Is it really though? Googles phones have all had internal memory if I'm not mistaken. If that was a key point to Android then all the nexus devices woul have sd slots. Just my understanding

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Is it really though?
Oh yeah. That is consistent with the vast majority of Android users IMO. Ask any of them if expansion is a good thing. SD was a huge appeal to most of the Android users I know. All of the polls I have seen have been consistent with my own experience as well.

There is really no upside to not including SD. It does not add anything to the phone.

Googles phones have all had internal memory if I'm not mistaken. If that was a key point to Android then all the nexus devices would have sd slots.
All Android phones have internal memory. Google's phones are the exception in lacking external memory as well. Google themselves still include SD support even in ICS. The Nexus One had an SD slot.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Is it really though? Googles phones have all had internal memory if I'm not mistaken. If that was a key point to Android then all the nexus devices woul have sd slots. Just my understanding

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

I'm a streamer as well. I've had my phone since day one and have 24GB's free so 32 is plenty for me! I think the only way to know if you will have signal issues or not with the Nexus is to try it. Hopefully you will get lucky like many have. (I've never dropped a signal even once)

OP
Papasmurf

Papasmurf

Reaction score
I'm not saying that most Android phones don't have SD slots. Just saying if Android itself is basing emphasis on SD slots then there would be one on the Nexus. People's perception of Android includes that of an SD slot IMO. I believe that they are trying to move towards a more cloud base information system. I also believe that there will be more phones other than Nexus devices that will not have SD Slots in the future. Just an opinion of course based on what I see now and going forward.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
btw just in case anyone is worried about the signal issues with the nexus, from what i understand is that it interprets signal differently and much more accurately and can potentially handle low signal much better, the problem is that they still need to work on it and it reports a lower signal than what it should, however there is supposed to be some update coming out soon for it to resolve this

thats another benefit of the nexus, it will have the fastest updates (officially from google and from the developer community since its vanilla android and has an unprecedented amount of development support)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that most Android phones don't have SD slots. Just saying if Android itself is basing emphasis on SD slots then there would be one on the Nexus. People's perception of Android includes that of an SD slot IMO. I believe that they are trying to move towards a more cloud base information system. I also believe that there will be more phones other than Nexus devices that will not have SD Slots in the future. Just an opinion of course based on what I see now and going forward.

i kinda hope they start backing off the whole cloud storage thing...yeah its nice but i prefer local storage (still going to get the nexus anyway)...
the biggest problem i see is that google is heading towards cloud storage and streaming and the service providers are heading towards limiting mobile data usage (most already have limited data plans). Anyone else see a conflict here??? :mad:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I'm not saying that most Android phones don't have SD slots. Just saying if Android itself is basing emphasis on SD slots then there would be one on the Nexus.
All the Nexus is showing is what Google's own ideal is. But Google's own ideal is not necessarily what will happen or what will be adopted.

Example? How many Android phones are using the default Android launcher? I dont know of ONE out of the people I know. All of them either use Vendor UIs or some custom launcher. Even Galaxy Nexus users often use a replacement launcher. Just because Google thinks it is a good idea does not necessarily mean people will adopt it.

People's perception of Android includes that of an SD slot IMO. I believe that they are trying to move towards a more cloud base information system.
Which is premature IMO. The cloud is not reliable enough or ubiquitous enough yet to replace local media. I definitely like the idea of it (I am a huge fan of Google Docs) but it is a long way from maturity. Like I said, my own experiences with streaming media have not been ideal...they have been "good enough" or "better than nothing", but not ideal.

I also believe that there will be more phones other than Nexus devices that will not have SD Slots in the future.
I think manufacturers will know that excluding SD slots will be seen as a negative by their customers, and will therefore make sure they include them to remain competitive. How many people have you seen claim a lack of SD on the Nexus is a good thing? Or a "feature"?

Its a limitation, not a feature. I dont know of anyone that would prefer not to have SD...even iPhone users dont prefer it. They just accept it.

Nealius

Reaction score
Papa its gonna come down to what you like with the phones. I had 2 bad nexus phones. Real bad. I had a rezound also before it went into a reboot loop is was a sweet phone. My daughter has a razr. If you get a bad phone and all 3 have their own issues . You will think you made a bad choice.
Another plus for the nexus is the largest screen of the 3. I stream a lot also I like the soft keys. If you get a nexus check the broadband version. Mine is i515.10. Seems to have made a huge difference
lastly just pick one. All 3 are awesome phones. And there is no such thing as a perfect phone. Just find one you will be happy with for 2 years

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Another plus for the nexus is the largest screen of the 3.
That was not a plus for me. IMO, phone sizes are getting out of hand. Even 4.3" is a bit on the big side IMO.

Bigger is not always better. Being a phone, it has to fit in a pocket.

OP
Papasmurf

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Its not really the point I was making. Android was created by Google correct? Google makes their phone of what is ideal to them and their operating system. Therefore with that thinking Android is attempting to move towards no Sdcards. True that most people would prefer to have them and probably most Vendors will still employ them, but I still believe that someone with follow googles lead and begin making models with no sd. Android was always about the removable battery too, look what happen with the Razr. Just saying some things will change.

All other things aside I will be getting the Nexus. Stopped at the VZW store last night and it just felt right. Smooth, fast and did a speedtest.net test and it got 24 down 16 up on avg. -75db signal in the store but only was showing 3 bars. On my droid that same db gives me full bars. So I guess its just a software glitch. Can't wait to get my taxes back to upgrade.

thank you all for the input :)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Its not really the point I was making. Android was created by Google correct? Google makes their phone of what is ideal to them and their operating system. Therefore with that thinking Android is attempting to move towards no Sdcards.
I agree that this is their desire. I disagree with their choice to do that, and I think most Android phone makers will also disagree. Google is not, IMO, going to yank SD support from the OS if most Android makers still want to use it. That is what I meant when I said it isn't the future.

True that most people would prefer to have them and probably most Vendors will still employ them, but I still believe that someone with follow googles lead and begin making models with no sd.
I doubt it personally. The average person is not going to see any advantage to not having SD IMO. Not unless they can start packing phones with obscene amounts of internal memory.

I have seen lots of Galaxy nexus users say that they would rather have SD as well. They prefer the Galaxy Nexus in spite of no SD, not because of it.

Android was always about the removable battery too, look what happen with the Razr. Just saying some things will change.
Actually, that supports my point as well. Google appears to believe Android should still have a removable battery (all of the nexus phones have had them), yet Motorola is doing their own thing anyway. And people accept it because it DOES add something to the phone...it has a far thinner profile and a dramatically longer battery life. Thats an asset. And non-removable batteries could catch on for that very reason.

Not including SD, by contrast, delivers no asset. The phone is not made better because you cant expand the storage. It doesnt add anything to the phone. It's just a limitation.

I have complained about other things on the Galaxy Nexus, but honestly, the SD card was the only breaking point for me. If it'd had an SD slot, I probably would have gotten it over the Rezound. I do like the phone a lot. I am a big fan of Samsung because of the galaxy S 2.