My tale of Software Update woe

MoreJoe

Reaction score
I purchased a Verizon Droid Razr and spent the last three weeks (in my spare moments) fine tuning the phone to my personal needs and accounts. This morning my Razr greeted me with the news that overnight it had downloaded the latest software update. I agreed to install the update and the Razr said it would take 10 minutes (Ha Ha!). The greeting after the update was "Enter your Motoblur username and password". I have never signed in or signed up for Motoblur and did not even know what it was until I Googled it. Needless to say, I did not have the username and password that my Razr was asking for. So today I spent an hour at the Verizon store where I bought the Razr. Then I spent several hours on the phone with Verizon support, Motorola support, in conference with both Verizon and Motorola all the way up the Motorola support chain. The final answer: "You have to reset your phone". So say goodbye to much of your personalization. The number of apologies from Verizon and Motorola was large but the solution they offered was "Reset". I am very disappointed and they have probably turned me into Samsung's next customer. So when your Razr offers you an update BEWARE.

ddfuji

Reaction score
that is crazy. did you buy the phone used? or was it fresh from verizon.

OP
M

MoreJoe

Reaction score
that is crazy. did you buy the phone used? or was it fresh from verizon.
Verizon purchase. First class all the way. And Verizon fought hard with Motorola tech support on my behalf.
But having to reset is a lot more drastic than just popping out your Blackberry battery to reboot it.

midtownny

Reaction score
I purchased a Verizon Droid Razr and spent the last three weeks (in my spare moments) fine tuning the phone to my personal needs and accounts. This morning my Razr greeted me with the news that overnight it had downloaded the latest software update. I agreed to install the update and the Razr said it would take 10 minutes (Ha Ha!). The greeting after the update was "Enter your Motoblur username and password". I have never signed in or signed up for Motoblur and did not even know what it was until I Googled it. Needless to say, I did not have the username and password that my Razr was asking for. So today I spent an hour at the Verizon store where I bought the Razr. Then I spent several hours on the phone with Verizon support, Motorola support, in conference with both Verizon and Motorola all the way up the Motorola support chain. The final answer: "You have to reset your phone". So say goodbye to much of your personalization. The number of apologies from Verizon and Motorola was large but the solution they offered was "Reset". I am very disappointed and they have probably turned me into Samsung's next customer. So when your Razr offers you an update BEWARE.

The same thing happened to me on a Samsung phone. After an update and going up the tech support chain, my only choice was to reset the phone. Don't be hasty and say you'll switch for that reason. Also Samsung is the slowest to offer updates anyhow. My Samsung (while on Sprint last few years) came out at the same time as the HTC EVO and the EVO was updated to Honeycomb months ahead of Samsung. I'm with Verizon and the Razr now... patiently waiting for ICS that I have read is coming to this Motorola phone before too long. Who knows when Samsung will update their phones. Just sayin'...

Johnleb

Reaction score

I own 2 Droid Razr's. Both of them were updated and did the same thing asking for the Motoblur password. I also had to reset my phones to get them to work. I wonder if an app caused the problem with the upgrade? Did you have a program called Battery Indicator running before you did the upgrade? I'm trying to narrow down the cause of the upgrade problem.