My name is Debie.

debiec68

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm Debie, and this is my first Droid. Its an A855. Now I'm an older chick, and I'm really not sure if this is called Droid X, 2, 3, 4, or what.
I bought the Droid, I was a lil bit mixed up regarding, root and flashed. But I'm learning slowly. I just ask of all you LEARNED siuls to please be patient with my "Techy stupidity. ;-)
Now when I bought it, it was rooted with "PROJECT ELITE. I'm also not quite sure what ROOTED is except I'm supposed to have access to to root files, and be able to do, delete, add whatever I want...
Well, it is still ROOTED, or so I assumed untill according to a "Root checker" app all of a sudden said "unable to verify, or not properly rooted.... But I'm trying to find out how to use the root access. Or if at all possible to re install, or re download the rooting.
Then of course there is also the "HOW TO INSTALL"
If anyone has any advise, know how, or other Droid smarts that I might use, feel free to fill me in. Just be aware the tech words that weren't in a dictionary when I was in school.... ill need expalinations and insights...
Thanks and hope we can become buddies, and maybe someday ill be able to help out the NEW member!!!
Debiec68

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF debie! Before you do anything, especially change or delete any files, be sure to read anything and know everything you can. Otherwise you run the risk of permanently ruining the phone.

The very first thing we would need to know to help is what kind of phone you have, the system version, Android version and kernel. You can find this information in settings by pressing the menu button and going to About phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

ambrown

Reaction score
Welcome Debie!

Root just means you can modify the root files and use apps that operate deeper in the system. You do have to be careful what you modify as it can be easy to change the system and ruin your device. That said, you shouldn't get into too much trouble with basic use and everyday installing and uninstalling of apps.

Feel free to ask questions and don't be afraid to google what you want to do before you do it, that way you know what you're getting into before doing anything. It can be a little frustrating when looking for answers when people don't speak in newcomer terms, but if you don't understand an answer then just ask what "____" means and most people will help out and tell you what it means. There are lots of tech words and abbreviations to learn, but most are easy to pick up once you get the hang of it.

Good luck with your phone, and hope you enjoy this forum!

GBH2

Reaction score
Welcome!

A855 = The original Motorola Droid

AKA Droid 1 or OG Droid.

Although it is a bit outdated now, it is a great device. I loved mine and still miss it at times. :)

Best of luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum Debie!

You are in the right place for help and assistance - we will get ya up to speed in no time ;)...

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Welcome to the site Debie. Don't worry about being an "older chick" because your probably not. You'd be surprised at the age range we have on this board. I know I was. At 42 I was sure that I was one of the older guys in here but I'm not. You'll fit in just fine. Just to give you a quick lesson about Android OS versions...
GB=gingerbread=Android 2.3
ICS=ice cream sandwich=Android 4.0
JB=jellybean=Android 4.1

Hopefully that will help when you see everyone talking about desert. If you read the wrong thread in here you'll end up getting hungry. :p

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums Debie. looks like you got several people to answer question you had. if you have anymore let us know

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF Debie!! :biggrin: