my iPhone to Droid experience

OP
D

DaveJustDave

Reaction score
In all honesty, I've been meaning to re-jumpstart my personal blog, and it was a good topic to write about. Plus the SEO type traffic you get from writing on such polarized topics is great.

Yeah its just a phone.. but i think your response might indicate some internal conflict of your own?

Happy Holidays. I'll stop feeding the troll(s) now.

Here's the writeup if anyone cares to read it (its pretty long and exhaustive)

The DOS Guru: Thinking of Switching From iPhone to Droid? (think again)

Please let me know if i left anything out - I plan on modifying the comparison as time progresses.

In the end, I'm glad i went with the Droid, though there are times that I do look back.
for heaven sake it's only a phone! there is life after iphone, you know? You're worse than an alcoholic. You're suffering from Iphone Amnestic Disorder.
There are quite a number of people(me included)in this community who switched to Droid from an iphone with no ill effects. In your case, it is very! Please grow up. Be a man,time to leave the nest.(you missed the games i know)
We switched because(I've 2 iphone 3Gs)we all have a choice now and the iphones have not, maybe will not evolved anymore beside changing the #s and letters to fool the "brain-washed" iphone suckers to buying the same phone without a word of complaint.
A 100,000 apps do not constitute a perfect phone not even close. The android will eventually catches up and what they've now is quite awesome.
I bought the iphone because it was the only game in town at the time (I think it pretty wore me out and got bored too after 3yrs) but now that the Droid, has something to offer and so much more. If the Droid has came out EXACT with the same functionality as the iphone,then I can see, we should ridicule it as another copycat and the iphone is still a better choice but, you can't denied that the Droid is an alternative and so much difference, which I hate to perseverate, about the functionality and capabilities.I think we should all know by now what the Droid can do and what the iphone can't. One is a glorified simple game phone and the new boy in town is an adult computer phone that can play games too.(only less than 7mths old)
Let's put it this way,the iphone is a like a first car that came out without air-con, no power- steering, no power-brake assist and just basic start and go. Obviously it would have better gas mileage and power.
Then the Droid came out with all the amenities that the Iphone lacking, would you not try it out? and of course, it will be slower(lagging, i would put it up for that inconvenience) not that much, and drained on the battery, not that much either.And the little small thing and maybe not much to some people(sour grapes) it means a lot to me, able to let me change the battery.Take the P-keyboard for instance,Droid even addressed that too, you do, and you can please everybody.The best part is Droid don't try to CONTROL you like the iphone does.They(iphone) don't believe in "customer come first" That the best way i can sum it up. Until iphone comes up with something better(after 3 yrs) is not good enough, and be just stringing the "brain-washed" iphone users(suckers) along and will continued doing so until they've the GUTS to speak out.
You switched because it is like when the iphone first came and you want to try something new with whatever phones you were using at that time.phew!!lol' It is same as the Droid. You don't look back and just go forward and enjoy the new challenges. Like I was told in canada, when they changed to Metric from Imperial you just use metric and not try to convert back to imperial.It will be redundant.
Either you switched or you don't. Simple as that and remember Iphone is an iphone and droid is a DRoid. One servant cannot serve two masters, either he likes one or other. (I chose the new and more to offer,)LOL'
So go and make up your mind (the Droid for me and no regrets) and enjoy.
Merry Christmas to all.
Thank you Motorola for giving me (Droid) the freedom of choice.:motdroidvert: Also something new to rekindle my boredom.:icon_ banana:

wil318466

Reaction score
Pretty good article, but I think for someone who has no idea about the apps/marketplace for the droid the article is skewed to make the reader feel as if the droid is crippled because of this difference.

Is it crippled? Does the iPhone have so many more usefull apps than the Droid? The problem I have here is that I've never had an iPhone, so I can't make a fair comparison. From what I've heard the "important" apps on the iPhone are available in one form or another on the droid. Some more input here might shed some light on the subject.

So, with that aspect being ignored for now, it boils down to one key aspect vs another. Do you want games, or reliable phone service?

I've had verizon wireless for years. I can count on 2 hands in 6 years how many times I've had dropped calls. The first call my friend made when he got his iPhone was to me - and it dropped the call.

In Philadelphia, Verizon is the only choice. Everyone else I know who isn't on Verizon constantly has issues with their phone, whether its dropped calls, no signal, or terrible voice quality.

There is no real choice here for many users. Why do you think Verizon has had so many customers for so long and their smartphones have been terrible? Verizon's smartphone selection has been *pathetic* until the Droid arrived, and now that is has, its a completely different experience (for me, anyway). I've always wanted to leave Verizon to get a "real" phone, but I just couldn't justify the drop in phone quality (trust me, I have no love for Verizon customer service or their constant bombardment to try to nickel and dime me).

Also - with the new 2.1 update coming next month, it seems a lot of laggy issues will be fixed. Its refreshing that the droid software will be constantly updated and fixed as time goes on. We've already had 1 update, and another is on the way.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but in the end its either games or actually being able to make a phone call. I'll take the phone calls.

-Wil

jasonb

Reaction score
screw games. i have a PS3 for that. there are tons of good, useful apps on the android market.

Droid FTW!

johnflo88

Reaction score
Time to chill out. The comparison was fair and balanced. And literate. More than can be said of the response.
based on your iphone user opinion?

No. Based on your adolescent semi-literate response.
Oh really! that's the best you can do, and talking about adolescent??? it takes one to know one ! If you still love the iphone, what @*&.........doing on this forum? Stay in your stupid moronic iphone corner.
Don't bother to reply and I no longer want to waste my
time to engage in any argument with an ignoramus,especially the one who still afraid to let go of a simple device as an an iphone.(talk about adolescent???!!!,how can you compare a computer phone to a simple iphone,you iphone fanboys called "even a CAVEMAN can use" You know very well you are not, repeat NOT ready for the Droid yet, Caveman!
Btw, go choke on an apple!oh,sound nice,yes,go CHOKE on an apple!
Case closed!good riddance.

johnflo88

Reaction score

omnibus

Reaction score
I live in a part of the country where AT&T service is absolute crap (Northeast Wyoming). This makes the comparison between my former iphone and the Droid moot.

That said, about 3 weeks into my Droid ownership I purchased an 8gb ipod touch primarily for listening to audible books (I'm still hoping audible finds reason enough to support Android in the future). Also transferring my Apple music library using double twist was no walk in the park and it's still sub standard in organization on the Droid.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
based on your iphone user opinion?

No. Based on your adolescent semi-literate response.
Oh really! that's the best you can do, and talking about adolescent??? it takes one to know one ! If you still love the iphone, what @*&.........doing on this forum? Stay in your stupid moronic iphone corner.
Don't bother to reply and I no longer want to waste my
time to engage in any argument with an ignoramus,especially the one who still afraid to let go of a simple device as an an iphone.(talk about adolescent???!!!,how can you compare a computer phone to a simple iphone,you iphone fanboys called "even a CAVEMAN can use" You know very well you are not, repeat NOT ready for the Droid yet, Caveman!
Btw, go choke on an apple!oh,sound nice,yes,go CHOKE on an apple!
Case closed!good riddance.

I was inclined to let this go, but given another adolescent response, I'll simply note that the poster can neither read nor write. And he (I assume given the apparent level of testosterone poisoning) has me confused with someone else since nothing I said even remotely resembles his characterization.

When he gets to high school I hope his manners improve.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
...Anyway, sorry for the rant, but in the end its either games or actually being able to make a phone call. I'll take the phone calls.

-Wil

Ditto. (As noted in an earlier post.) It's interesting that there are some parallels here between the interminable PC vs Mac "wars." One side argues for the vast (and often superior) range of apps available. The other argues for the "underdog" and notes that one doesn't need fifty applications that have basically the same functionality.

Oddly though, the sides seem to have switched when it comes to the iPhone versus the DROID. The "underdog" in this case is the android O/S and Google while the "establishment" is the offering from Apple.

As someone who lived for two years with the god awful "Windows Mobile" platform, I'm delighted that Verizon finally offers a smartphone with bells and whistles that work and call quality that exceeds my Motorola brick of 15 years ago.

wil318466

Reaction score
Lol John/JSH you guys gotta stop. I've just kinda skimmed over your arguments (and it did seem to me that one person attacked the other out of no where), but you guys are out of hand with the insults and stuff now. It is entertaining, however.

I don't think the iPhone/Droid comparisons will ever stop. It just seems thats the thing to do until the Nexus phone comes out and then it'll be the Nexus vs Iphone or a 3 way comparison.

To me, if every single article out there said that the Droid sucks and the iPhone rocks, would you return your Droid?

I wouldn't. I don't care what the iPhone has. The stuff the droid can do is awesome, and can do whatever I need. For 110 bucks a month. lol.

-Wil

catsailr

Reaction score
Nobody mentioned the main reason I chose the Droid over the iPhone - You don't have to have ATT as your provider.

wsumrell

Reaction score
I switched,but kept the iPhone on a minimum plan for the apps and just in case things didn't work out with the Droid. The reason for the switch? ATT service sux beyond suckdom. Dropped calls and no service was killing me. I went to Verizon because finally I can talk on my phone in my office, and to be honest, it took awhile for me to take a hankerin' to the Droid, but now I'm glad I switched, it's a lot of fun. But if the iPhone was with Verizon there would be no question the Droid would not be as popular, not yet anyway.

actrack03

Reaction score
I love how some people get so defensive over their phones like someone just called their child ugly. I think the article was straight forward and unbiased but that's my opinion. Both phones have their strengths as well as their own weaknesses. I love the fact that I can have complete control over my phone and set it up how I see fit. Android is still young compared to Apple but I feel that Android has more potential. It all comes down to preference. MY choice is Droid with zero regrets. Bottom line is I don't have to live with your choice for 2 years, but I do have to live with mine.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
iPhone is the Jesus phone. Anytime you throw religion into the mix it gets out of hand.... just look at human history. #1 reason for war... religion :) LOL, just an aside trying to lighten it up here.

get quad

Reaction score
Funny how quickly people forgot that AT&T wireless was most recently Cingular (and how bad the network sucked then as well).