My Gallery Select All?

FrancaV

Reaction score
I wonder if I am missing something obvious here but I cannot find a way to Select All in the Droid 4 gallery. My photos are automatically backed up to Dropbox so I would like to delete most of them from the phone afterwards. Selecting multiple photos one by one is incredibly tedious. I know I could plug my phone into my computer and do a mass delete that way but sometimes I don't want to wait till I'm back at my computer. Is there a way to do this on the phone directly? ES File Explorer doesn't appear to have Select All either, which seems like a massive oversight to me. Thanks for any help!

Syko

Reaction score
I wonder if I am missing something obvious here but I cannot find a way to Select All in the Droid 4 gallery. My photos are automatically backed up to Dropbox so I would like to delete most of them from the phone afterwards. Selecting multiple photos one by one is incredibly tedious. I know I could plug my phone into my computer and do a mass delete that way but sometimes I don't want to wait till I'm back at my computer. Is there a way to do this on the phone directly? ES File Explorer doesn't appear to have Select All either, which seems like a massive oversight to me. Thanks for any help!

+1

Wondered about this myself. My Droid2 had the select all function but not the Droid4. Very annoying.

OP
FrancaV

FrancaV

Reaction score
+1

Wondered about this myself. My Droid2 had the select all function but not the Droid4. Very annoying.
Another option that was on my original Droid but has gone missing on the Droid 4 is Copy All when you long-press in text. What a pain. Now you have to long-press twice - once to Select All and again to Copy. Aargh. And while we're trashing Droid 4, why on earth did they design it with a non-removable battery?? That's the last line of defense before factory reset when the phone goes wonky. Wish I'd known all this stuff before I got the phone ... might have gone with the RAZR instead. But the Droid 4 does take stunning photos. :)

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Try using the my files app and not gallery. If you then navigate to your pic folder or whatever other files you want to change, you can select all by menu, multi select, then select all. I am able to select all in a text message. I am on the ICS leak so that might be different in GB.

You can force a reboot by holding down the power and volume down button, just like a battery pull.

Syko

Reaction score
Try using the my files app and not gallery. If you then navigate to your pic folder or whatever other files you want to change, you can select all by menu, multi select, then select all.

Using a file manager is a good option but that's definitely a long way around if you are already in the gallery app. Definitely a step backwards if a time saving feature was available in the Droid2 and lost with the Droid4.

............. But the Droid 4 does take stunning photos. :)

For real? Stunning? I would love to be able to make the same claim. What are you doing to make them come out so good? My pictures come out horrible in low light and sub-par at best in normal light (settings set to auto). Wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I was suggesting the pre installed "my files' app. But i don't see why you need to delete pics all the time if you have a sd card.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Syko

Reaction score
I was suggesting the pre installed "my files' app. But i don't see why you need to delete pics all the time if you have a sd card.

The "my files" app is a file manager so whether you use "my files" or astro or some other file manager app, the result is the same...you must access a different app to do the same task you used to be able to do in the gallery app on a previous phone like the Droid 2. All I was trying to get across was how that could be considered a step backwards in development.

As far as why I need to delete pics all the time?

I don't delete them all the time and that's why a select all feature would be handy. I actually use my phone camera for work and I can take numerous pictures thru-out the day. At the end of the day, if I want to delete them all, I need to browse thru a file manager program (my files as you suggested) to do so or tick the boxes one by one within the gallery app. I used to be able to simply click "select all" and be done with it. Also, let's say I have 50 pictures and I want to delete 48...I could use the select all button and then untick the 2 pictures I wanted to save. Another reason I'd rather use the gallery is that the thumbnails are a bit larger than the thumbnails in the 'my files' app so it's easier to distinguish which pictures I want to delete (or not delete). Finally, I have a 32g SD card but that doesn't mean I want thousands of pictures collecting on it just because I have the space not to mention the headache of wading thru all those photos to find the one you want to look at at any given time.

OP
FrancaV

FrancaV

Reaction score
You can force a reboot by holding down the power and volume down button, just like a battery pull.
Thanks, I'll try that next time there's weirdness. This phone has a bad habit of turning itself on in my pocket and starting the camera, then locking up the touch screen. Can't get out of the camera and can't power down the phone in the ordinary way.

As for the file manager, it doesn't appear to have a Select All option either. It seems to be missing completely on the Droid 4, at least I sure can't find it. Multi-select does nothing but put checkboxes next to the files. There is a Move button, a Delete button, and a Cancel button. That's it. Don't know if it's a Droid 4 issue, or an issue with its version of the Android OS but whatever it is, it annoys the heck out of me.

Syko

Reaction score
As for the file manager, it doesn't appear to have a Select All option either. It seems to be missing completely on the Droid 4, at least I sure can't find it.

If you found the "Select Multiple" you are almost there...just hit the menu button one more time. :)

OP
FrancaV

FrancaV

Reaction score
If you found the "Select Multiple" you are almost there...just hit the menu button one more time. :)
Ah, interesting ... yet another menu. LOL - thanks! I've tried that in other apps and it hasn't worked so I guess I gave up.:p

Naiad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy mega
I have the Galaxy Mega. I opened Gallery and then opened the Gallery menu by tapping the phone at the lower left, left of the big Home button. The first item on that menu was "Select Album." I tapped that, and all the albums got a grey square in the upper right corner. I tapped the grey square on the "Camera" album, and then tapped the trash can. That deleted all 1400 photos at once, exactly what I was hoping to do.