Typing an A selected all and deleted what I was typing

tchalm

Reaction score
I was typing in the Gmail text box going along just fine, but then got into a weird condition where, as near as I can figure out what happened, I typed an 'a' which then selected all of the text that I had typed, then the next letter I typed replaced all of the selected text, deleting everything.

How could it have gotten into that state where 'a' automatically selects everything?

And how can you get it back out of that state?

I couldn't find an option with the menu key, and the Back button, saved a draft of the now empty email.

Lots to learn.

Huffie86

Reaction score
Occasionally D4's like to go all short cut on/hot key whatever you want to call it when typing on the physical keyboard. I've had it happen to me and I've seen posts before of other people experiencing the same problem. Since it happens so rare, i don't think anyone had found the problem/trigger causing it.

acdcrocks91

Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing intermittently on all of my Droids (2-4). On my D4 with ICS, however, it seems to happen the most with Handcent's "popup" feature where an incoming text is automatically displayed with a keyboard to quickly reply. The rate with this is probably about 5% of the time; a relatively low occurrence but significantly higher than any other situation.