Multi-media Docking Station-better reception

dickday

Reaction score
I just picked up the Droid Docking station and notice that the phone, when docked, has full bars and constant 3G. We live out in the country and typically get 2 bars.

Can it be that we are truly getting better reception when docked? I didn't notice this when the droid was plugged into the regular charger. I am just wondering if this is a cosmetic display issue that only occurs when the phone is docked or if we are truly getting great reception.

The docs say nothing about better reception when the phone is docked.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dickday, it is just by coincidence. The multimedia dock does nothing to improve 3G signal. Glad it seems better for you though.

OP
D

dickday

Reaction score
dickday, it is just by coincidence. The multimedia dock does nothing to improve 3G signal. Glad it seems better for you though.
Thanks, I was pretty sure that if this was by design, they would be marketing this as a signal booster as well.

When I remove the droid from the dock, and lay it on the desk next to the dock, the signal drops to what we've been seeing.

Strange.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think part of it is the location of the dock itself. That includes the angle of the phone when it's in the dock. It's like saying you have a greater range on your car key remote when beeping your car if you press it to your forehead. Yes it works, but it's because you're holding it higher in the air.

A test would be to plug the phone in when it's next to the dock to see if the A/C power is helping any.

PJnc284

Reaction score
My signal is finicky in the docking station. I downloaded an app called no signal that notifies you if when you lose signal and when it comes back and the only time it goes off is in the dock. I ended up turning off the notification sound since it goes off like 3-4 times a night.