Droid constantly launching Car Home and Multimedia station apps

agentdax5

Reaction score
This problem started last week when I noticed my Droid was constantly cycling between launching the Multimedia station and Car Home apps. My phone is not in a dock nor near anything magnetic, just sitting on my wooden desk. This persists on and off throughout the week happening and at random times of the day. Generally always around 5-6 AM (which is crucial, because the Alarm won't work), around 10 AM, and near midnight. During the launching cycle the phone is pretty much unusable. I'm lucky if I can get back to the home screen.

Friday I restored the phone to factory settings and wiped everything. That seemed to fix the problem up till yesterday. The cycle started again around the same times previously mentioned. I did a clean install using a virgin 2.0.1 ROM and it fixed the problem for the day. I followed the guide here: Disable multimedia station/dock app? - Android Forums to rename the car dock and dock apks to baks and it has prevented the apps from launching.

Today I had no incident up till about an hour ago. My Droid will constantly wake up. I assume it thinks it's still in a Dock and trying to launch the applications but cannot.

What could be the issue? And if you think it's a hardware issue, do you think VZW will replace it? I pay the monthly insurance, but I bought the phone from someone else.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Are you carrying it in a case which has a magnetic closure or putting it near a magnet in general? magnets are used in the docks to get it to go to Car Home or the Clock mode.

OP
A

agentdax5

Reaction score
Are you carrying it in a case which has a magnetic closure or putting it near a magnet in general? magnets are used in the docks to get it to go to Car Home or the Clock mode.

No I am not. And the phone isn't around any magnets, no case.

I think I may have found the source of the problem though, Home++, seems to have stopped once I uninstalled it, but worked without this issue for 2 months before.

xliderider

Reaction score
I use Home++ and don't have this problem. Try reinstalling Home++, I also recommend deleting all widgets on your native homescreens when using Home++.

If all else fails, return your Droid, or you can download a free app from the Marketplace called Dock Blocker. I use it to prevent my Droid from going into docking mode when I use a leather case with a magnetic flap closure.

OP
A

agentdax5

Reaction score
Copy pasting from another forum I asked the same question on, and it's a bit better of a discription

Ok guys, see if you can help me out here, I've posted about this problem I've had before but it's come back. My Droid will randomly think that it is in a car dock or multimedia dock and launch the corresponding applications constantly. This renders my phone near unusable. I've factory reset a number of times (2.0.1) and install a virgin 2.0.1 rom. The problem would be fixed temporarily and eventually come back at a random time.

I followed the advice of another site to rename the .apks of the applications to .baks. That helped until my phone would not stay asleep. It would keep coming back on whenever I try to put it to sleep. I figured it is trying to load those two applications but can't.

Today I installed the Bugless Beauty V0.8.6 (AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beauty V0.8.6 (Update Available) 2/7/10) ROM which was successful (and fast), and the problem persists. The video below will give you a better idea. That is with the Bugless Beauty ROM but when on 2.0.1 the EXACT same thing happens to me.

[video=youtube;Mzjv9zDtxNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzjv9zDtxNE[/video]

droid d'oh

Reaction score
I'm also having this problem with bugless beast. Any progess on a fix?

jimnutt

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bad sensor on the phone. If you're within the 30 day warranty, take it back to Verizon. Otherwise, I'd contact Motorola, it shouldn't do that. Using DockBlocker is just a bandaid, there's something physically wrong with the phone.

xliderider

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bad sensor on the phone. If you're within the 30 day warranty, take it back to Verizon. Otherwise, I'd contact Motorola, it shouldn't do that. Using DockBlocker is just a bandaid, there's something physically wrong with the phone.

Agree, there is something wrong with the magnetometer (sensor) in the Droid.
get it replaced under warranty.