Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

wooddale

Reaction score
I would think yes rooting is rooting once you get there your there getting out is the same when your out your out no matter how you get out

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dude the adb methods really no big deal. If you can't handle simple instructions you probably shouldn't root your phone in the first place. Besides, you might actually learn something for future reference.
Oh I can handle them just fine it just makes me nervous. Im not rich and cant afford a new phone should I brick it. The droid 1 just to me seemed easier.

Truthfully, whether the commands are sent via ADB or done on the phone itself, the risk of bricking is about the same. The biggest thing about the Droid 1 is that it's had over a years worth of development on it at this point. The D2 is a baby comparatively. Things that are familiar are always less intimidating.

phoenixus

Reaction score
Something messed up on my droid 2 guys. I rooted with z4root succesffuly and then used android terminal emulator to rename bloatware apps by verizon. I found a safe list online and renamed navigator, skype, cardock, 3g mobile hotspot, city id.

I also renamed statuswidget, photo widget, and news widget.

Now when I get txt messages my phone doesn't vibrate even though I'm in vibrate mode. I rebooted and then restored those widget files. Made sure vibrate was checked in txt settings. Still no vibrate. I'm using the stock app. Haptic still works. What can I do?

After some more investigating, I figured out the problem. I uninstalled audio manager and now vibrate works again when I'm in silent mode.

So now that I figured that out is it wise to remove those widgets or no?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Last edited:

Cirnoskire

Reaction score
Well that went well. I didnt get very much new space it seems but I did manage to stop bad apps from running in the background. I'm thinking of doing it again and moving all the media files to the sd. Is this a good idea? Media does tend to take a lot of space.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

Cirnoskire

Reaction score
Well that went well. I didnt get very much new space it seems but I did manage to stop bad apps from running in the background. I'm thinking of doing it again and moving all the media files to the sd. Is this a good idea? Media does tend to take a lot of space.

Correction. I freaking doubled the space I have available for apps after figuring out which ones were essential and not essential. Gtalk is somehow essential to the market app.

jubei4769

Reaction score
Don't know if that is from u rooting ur phone. I just got my D2 and it never vibrates during text messages when on vibrate.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

FastKatt

Reaction score
You should start a new topic on this.
Post a link here, so we can follow it.
List the apps you've moved and the outcome of each?
Then we could have a list of safe apps

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
So first things first, go get the usual suspects

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
su
Superuser.apk

How do you get these files? Is "su" even a file, or a command within terminal emulator? I'm searching more for these files and trying to install them onto my phone, I guess..

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
So first things first, go get the usual suspects

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
su
Superuser.apk

Where do I put these files on my phone for this to work properly? If I have them on my computer, where do I put them? I really want to root..

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Okay, I finally rooted my phone after realizing what to do with the files. Thanks for the root details!

I failed to do the optional busybox commands:

cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox

..and so on. I noticed I NEED this to get titanium backup to work! What exactly do I type in to get this file included in my rooted phone?

solar

Reaction score
If you open titanium, and click the "problems?" buton, it will give you the option to install busybox, then you don't have to go trough the terminal again for that part.

Fighter59

Reaction score
I'm up to the point where I forced close the Emulator, when I reopen it I don't get the $ prompt. This is what I have:

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
# #

What do I do now? :icon_eek: