Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

nn5dx

Reaction score
So I'm trying to root my (almost) brand new Droid 2 Global.

- open up your favorite terminal emulator program
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
- ./rage*.bin
- ignore it's output, we are thinking outside of the box here, just wait for it to finish and return a $
- now go to settings -> applications -> manage applications -> running -> terminal and force close that girlie
- relaunch the terminal app and you should be greeted with the friendly # symbol.

Except I never get greeted with the friendly # symbol, I get the same old $ prompt. :angry:

Yes, I'm following these steps exactly on the phone, because I'm having issues with adb showing the device as offline and never coming back online when I tried to use the adb process. I wait for the $ prompt after running rage before I kill the terminal process and restart.

So WTF am I doing wrong?
I'm running Android version 2.2, System Version 2.4.29.A956, if that makes any difference.

Help?

Last edited:

wooddale

Reaction score
Ihink you just have to keep trying reloading try again I was doing everything wright also just took time

nn5dx

Reaction score
Yes, I'm following these steps exactly on the phone, because I'm having issues with adb showing the device as offline and never coming back online when I tried to use the adb process. I wait for the $ prompt after running rage before I kill the terminal process and restart.

Ok, the problem is I wasn't waiting long enough. Not only are you supposed to wait for the $ prompt, but you should also wait for the "Forked #### Childs" line to show up as well. Only after THAT message, should you then kill the terminal process and restart it. That's when I finally saw the wonderful root # prompt. dancedroid

For reference, the link to follow is this:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial.html

terminus

Reaction score
My device (an 8" tablet running Android 2.2) doesn't have a /tmp directory into which I can copy files. I couldn't find any other directory which was writeable and allowed me to change permissions. Is there any way around that?

terminus

Reaction score
I don't think the desktop is even a real directory on Android, is it? Isn't it just a virtual location for shortcuts and widgets, rather than an actual location in the filesystem?

Raptor007

Reaction score
I am trying to unroot using the directions here, thought I would try while the D2G unroot directions are posted. I get to this part "- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk" and I get the following error " rm /system/app/Superuser.apk, No such file or directory"

Now I did update the original Superuser.apk after I rooted, so is this the issue or something else?

Suggestions are very welcome.

* EDIT: Undoing the damage, if you decide to unroot.

- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root

Last edited:

FastKatt

Reaction score
Thanks! My Wife's DX is now rooted!

I had to force stop the terminal window 2x to get the # symbol to show up...

I've got to goto bed, but I'll start playing with it tomorrow.

You guys rock!
Thanks for figuring all this out for us!

terminus

Reaction score
My device (an 8" tablet running Android 2.2) doesn't have a /tmp directory into which I can copy files. I couldn't find any other directory which was writeable and allowed me to change permissions. Is there any way around that?

I was still able to do it by using the adb utility from the SDK to connect to the device from my Mac, because adb can run as root. I simply did:

Code:
./adb shell mount

Then checked for the device that corresponds to the "system" partition. It turns out to be mmcblk0p2 for my device (though your mileage will vary). Then I did:

Code:
./adb mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system
./adb push su /system/bin/
./adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

Then I loaded Superuser.apk onto my SD card and installed it, and rebooted the device. Simple as that! Worked a treat.

Last edited:

solar

Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for posting the guide and thanks to Ruvu01 for posting the files. It was super easy. Great thread. I finally got around to it and now am rooted!:icon_ banana:

sarasbud

Reaction score
I am a beginner

if i can ask, what exactly does rooting do for you and if it voids the warranty, how safe is it and why do it? I am just curious and would like to learn.

Thanks

Cirnoskire

Reaction score
Fancy Bump

I would like to know too. So bump.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

tehjrow

Reaction score
I'm running 2.3.20 and get access denied running rage*.bin

I had 2.2 and was rooted, updated and lost root