Move from a berry to droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by ffeingol, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

Sorry if this has been covered already, but it's a bit hard to search for. I'm a server admin and I use my berry primary for server support. It gets used as follows: - receiving email (server monitoring software sends out emails) - check on server status (web interface) - respond to support tickets (web interface) I'm not too worried about the last two becuase I've seen / tested the web browser on the VZW droid and it works fine (much better than the berry). email OTOH, has me a bit nervous. My berry currently monitors 3 email boxes: - blackberry account - gmail - corporate server (pop/imap) My questions are: - How many accounts can the Droid monitor? - Can different accounts have different notifications (i.e. corporate vibrate, gmail just flashes in indicator) - If I'm using IMAP how long does it take for email to show up. Thanks in advance.
  2. JOHNNYG

JOHNNYG New Member

I have the following email accounts set up on my Droid.

Mac
    Road Runner
    GMail
    Corporate Email

All set up very easy

I have had no problems with delayed emails. I get them very quickly.

The exchange settings were easy to set up, and the Droid synced automatically.
  3. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

Hello,

Any idea how 'quickly' they show up? Can different email accounts notify you in different ways?
  4. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

I know with my gmail and my corp account, the emails show up faster on the phone than they do my inbox. Its to the point where my phone tells me when new emails come in, even if I'm sitting in front of gmail on my PC. The only thing that does not work particularly well are pop3 accounts.
  5. JOHNNYG

JOHNNYG New Member

When I sent test messages, I received the email in 60 seconds or less. Mayeb quicker, but I know I wasn't waiting around for the email to arrive.

Regarding different notifications, for different email accounts. Each account you set up has it's own individual setting for Tone.
  6. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

Thanks guys, this is sounding good.
  7. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

I have 2 gmail accounts, a ymail account and my .mac account loaded on my Droid. I find that my gmail gets "pushed" through instantly, while you have the option of setting how often you want the "non-gmail" accounts to be synced.
  8. shcommish

shcommish New Member

What about having a different mailbox for each email? Is there a way to do this instead of having a combined?
  9. Brokenartist

Brokenartist New Member

Why not just use gmail as your main source for email and have all existing email accounts come through your gmail with specific labels and filters?
  10. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

gmail 'may' be the final solution but it's a security / data concern. The emails are a combination of support tickets and server notices. We prefer it to go to our own mail server and not have anyone else with access to the email.
  11. dro0g

dro0g New Member

I switched from a Curve to the Droid and am very happy. BES is among the most horribly written pieces of software ever created and I've had to deal with BES support since the 2.x days so I'm thrilled to be off Blackberry.

Support for non-BES accounts is better on the Droid than Blackberry (Blackberry has no native IMAP client for instance, you have to connect to a BIS server run by the carrier and there's all kinds of weird compatibility issues) The two issues on the Droid for me at the moment are not being able to accept calendar invites on an Exchange account, and not auto downloading mail from folders on an Exchange account (which is still better than Blackberry's support for folders)

From a monitoring standpoint, you're connecting directly over the Internet vs. through RIM's servers which removes a point of failure for troubleshooting (though it's usually on the news when RIM is having a service problem)

I highly recommend playing around with Android Scripting Environment, you can do some very cool things to help automate support and monitoring tasks.
  12. fr4c

fr4c New Member

You can have different mailboxes for each account, or choose to combine them. IMAP folders will also be available within each account.

Since Gmail is the only account with true "Push" mail, IMAP/POP accounts are setup with a Fetch schedule, with intervals of 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc. Each time you browse to your inbox the phone also refreshes and downloads any new content.

I came from a BB, so I was used to the near instant email notifications. I think the Droid does it just as well, and the 15 minute fetch schedule is more than good enough for me.

If you have any more questions about the two devices, let me know. I'm a IT/Project Manager so I use and deal with the same things as you do.
  13. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

OK, a 15 minute refresh could be a deal breaker. Our monitoring system notifies us after a 5 minute outage. If we 'hit the cycle wrong' it could take another 14m 59s before the Droid gets the email. That could be 20 minutes of downtime before an email notice.

I'm very surprised that the Droid does not use IMAP IDLE. Even our 'self hosted' email (via IMAP) shows up within a minute or so on the Berry.
  14. fr4c

fr4c New Member

The reason it shows up on our Berry so fast is because the emails are being pushed from the RIM servers themselves. That why when we set up emails we do not put in any server settings at all, just our account and password information (for IMAP accounts).

I just did a test email to my Droid; Gmail was instant, while the IMAP took about 10 minutes or so (15 minute cycle).
  15. fr4c

fr4c New Member

What I have done is to forward my corporate email to my Gmail account, since Gmail is Push. I have found that based on this setup I would get the forwarded emails almost simultaneously, with the original email on my corporate account arriving minutes later.
  16. dro0g

dro0g New Member

Yeah, that is annoying that there's no IMAP IDLE support yet. How were you handling the notifications before BIS supported IDLE? (I think it was introduced in Sept. 2008)

You might want to consider putting a small script on the monitoring system to send a text message via the Verizon website (that way if e-mail is down you can still get notifications)
  17. ScottE

ScottE New Member

There are several 3rd party free email clients. I am currently running K-9, it has polling every minute, 5min, 10, 15 etc. there are option for "folders to check with push" although im not sure what that is about. i am polling every minute and while it works im sure it taking a toll on the battery.
  18. ffeingol

ffeingol New Member

@fr4c,

We do not use the blackberry email box. With IMAP IDLE (with the berry) it took 45 seconds from hitting send in outlook until my berry buzzed.

@dro0g,

Before IDLE support we just used the bb mailbox supplied with BIS. RIM is not in the 'data mining' industry so we felt much more comfortable using their mailboxes vs. Google.

SMS is not really an option. The monitoring software can't send SMS's (we could prob do it indireciton if VZW supports phone-number@something.verizon.net. Right now we're giving VZW enough money, we don't really want to have to add unlimited TXT plans.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
  19. keiichi25

keiichi25 New Member

Technically, while Google is a 'data mining' service, the G-mail, to my understanding, is not suppose to be intruded upon short of you designating spam to help refine their spam search filters.

You do have the option of setting a droid to do a check for sooner, the drawback will be the battery usage on your phone will be higher.

Doing a slight search, Wikipedia states that Google's Android OS supports Microsoft ActiveSync and Gmail as far as Push E-mail is concerned.
  20. heem

heem New Member

If you have access to exchange activesync, it's very fast. Matter of fact sitting here at my desk in the office, my droid very often gets the message BEFORE my desktop Outlook client.

I also do server monitoring, and I do find one thing lacking, although I have not put alot of thought into working around it -

On blackberry, I could set priority messages - I think they called it "Level 1 messages?" - to which I could set a different alert. so I'd set mails from my SQL boxes and monitoring system for that, and have an obnoxiously loud alert for it. Regular email just gets a simple, calm alert because I get way too many of them to be concerned about simple things that dont need immediate attention.

I'm sure I could work something out where I forward those messages to another account that has a loud ringtone associated with it.. but like I said I havent gotten there yet.

Nice bonus too, Droid can do VPN connections and VNC (or remote desktop with a paid app) - I setup a Virtual Machine just running stripped down OS with a few apps I need for doing routine tasks, set it the resolution at 800x600 so it fits almost natively on the droid's screen, and then I can actually connect right in from my phone and bounce services, reset this or that, etc. Very handy over pulling out the laptop and aircard when I needed to do something like this on the weekend..