Motorolla to Unlock Bootloader

teh_g

Reaction score
I am sure most of you have seen the news here: Motorola Clarifies Stance on Bootloaders, Looks to Partner With Developers? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I originally thought that this might just be huff and puff from Moto in order to calm the PR storm they got themselves in to. In order to get a confirmation or some discussion, I created the following on their Get Satisfaction page: Please Unlock the Droid X Bootloader

Earlier today, the post was marked as "Implemented" by Moto! They didn't comment on it, but this really makes me hopeful :)

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It made me the opposite of hopeful. I read it like, "we might make it easy to theme, but we are gonna keep it locked down"

OP
teh_g

teh_g

Reaction score
It made me the opposite of hopeful. I read it like, "we might make it easy to theme, but we are gonna keep it locked down"

We can cross our fingers and hope that they are nice to us. I think they realize that it is the dedicated Android users who are their early adopters and who spread the word on devices and how great they actually are. I know I converted three people to Android in the last two months.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Motorola should have said,"we are going to make it easier to load ROMs not harder" , OPEN SOURCE means just that OPEN.
To me my device is a mini PC and all of my PCs are mine to do with what I wish , after I buy a PC first thing I do is remove all the junk and load Linux dual boot , the maker can void support on the OS because I loaded a OS , but the product's hard drive is not locked keeping me from installing a different OS .
My $0.2

Last edited:

Desicrator

Reaction score
the maker can void support on the OS because I loaded a OS , but the product's hard drive is not locked keeping me from installing a different OS .
My $0.2

Bingo, Moto should just put something on there that will detect we modded the phone, but not bother us in anyway, and then if that is triggered, Void our warranty, since That seems to be the only possible reason to have the BL there.

Which in all honesty is a smart business choice given the practice of people that brick their phones and take them immediately back to Verizon. "and play dumb". the Verizon employees might buy it but once the phone makes it to Moto they will find out immediately I am sure that a mod was the killer of the phone.

I know people will say that an no bootloader will limit bricking but I believe that people probably will still do that.

TL;DR

People need to stop returning phones they brick.

EDIT: fixed my retarded english...

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I saw thier response to this on twitter,@droid_life, yesterday:mad:tdcrooks if you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we’ll continue with our strategy that is working thanks. – motorola 2 days ago. Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog . I hope they reconsider.

The first link in the op is moto's response to that response actually. They did some damage control stating that the "look elsewhere" response did not represent moto's stance and they would like to find a way to work with developers and possibly find some sort of compromise. Could just be big talk though.

tappin and a talkin

bL33d

Reaction score
Have to say I've allready made my mine up next phone will be either HTC or lg I'm done with samsung (had fascinate) and Motorola for locking my phone from me.

Not that I think they care but then again I don't care if they care ill be rocking a sweet phone :p

Hell might be a iphone 5 if its sweet enough atleat u can jailbreak them and run different OS's and mod it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
People need to stop returning phones they brick.

thank you. i starting modding back on winmo, and i'm still learning as go with android, but it really is maddening to see posts about people who tried to flash a rom, had a problem, and instead of working to solve it, just made up some bs and sent it back. i believe that behavior like that lead to a lot of the restrictions now in place. know your depth.

/rant

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Use to flashing a BIOS ROM was difficult on a PC mainboard , some would corrupt the ROM causing a return of the product, so manufacturers made it easier to flash the ROM with utilities they designed returns decreased greatly . Motorola could make a utility that would make consumers happy and reduce failures as well.
My $.02

luigi90210

Reaction score
Use to flashing a BIOS ROM was difficult on a PC mainboard , some would corrupt the ROM causing a return of the product, so manufacturers made it easier to flash the ROM with utilities they designed returns decreased greatly . Motorola could make a utility that would make consumers happy and reduce failures as well.
My $.02
they should release the boot.img resigner or something like that

this way devs can make roms and such without having to crack the bootloader but instead sign their own kernel so the phone will accept it

chazall1

Reaction score
OPEN SOURCE means just that OPEN.
To me my device is a mini PC and all of my PCs are mine to do with what I wish , after I buy a PC first thing I do is remove all the junk and load Linux dual boot , the maker can void support on the OS because I loaded a OS , but the product's hard drive is not locked keeping me from installing a different OS .
That is exactly what I do, and how I hate when you buy a computer, they always state, "The Warranty will be void if the OS is other than MS" MS, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moto will never unlock the bootloader! and I hate the word never

Desicrator

Reaction score
Hate to be the pessimist, but when the Moto PR person used the term "developers", how do we know that they don't just mean the Moto developers. Not the Community.

Trust me I am just as wishful as the next man but multi million dollar company listening to consumers that they deem a small percentage of their customers.

This thing also makes me wonder about the actual people that designed moto's whole thing, how are they handling the lack of customization, or are they happy running around with blur? or do they have the code to unlock thier phones :icon_eek: