Motorola will be Closing the Brand New Texas Moto X Plant by the End of the Year

dja1980

Reaction score
I am sorry, but your theory is flawed. Putting more money into the hands of the American worker is NEVER a bad thing. Companies like Lenovo will NEVER manufacture their products here as long as they have slave labor working for pennies right in their own backyards. That's the real problem.
Yes, it is a bad thing if we are putting money into the hands of those who don't want to work for it. What ever happened to EARNING your wage? If you are worth more, you will get paid more. If it's never a bad thing, why stop at $15... we might as well go to $30, $50, or an even $100/hr... that would surely help the economy, right? All I'm saying is that there are only two ways to bring manufacturing back to the US... either business need to be able to manufacture at a competitive price here, or people need to purchase USA products regardless of the price.

Hodor

Reaction score
Yes, it is a bad thing if we are putting money into the hands of those who don't want to work for it. What ever happened to EARNING your wage? If you are worth more, you will get paid more. If it's never a bad thing, why stop at $15... we might as well go to $30, $50, or an even $100/hr... that would surely help the economy, right? All I'm saying is that there are only two ways to bring manufacturing back to the US... either business need to be able to manufacture at a competitive price here, or people need to purchase USA products regardless of the price.

Who says they don't want to work for it? You don't think the people at that Motorola plant in Texas were earning their wage??

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

A minimum wage job should at least earn what ever the LOCAL poverty level income is. That's what a person should make as a bottom rung earner working a solid day's work. A minimum wage job should be for people working their way into society like former convicts, the mentally challenged, entry level workers getting their first ever job, etc. It's a job with minimal skill requirements for those looking to join/rejoin society and gathering experience. If you think that earning poverty level income is getting over or that it steals from your pocket then you are obviously detached from reality. I hope you realize that the better off that a country's "poverty level" standard of living is, the better off that society is as a whole because the societal "average" is shifted higher. Paying wages below the poverty level accomplishes nothing except increasing the income gap in the U.S. and further eroding the middle class. It's both funny and sad to see people who probably earn modest wages look down their noses at minimum wage workers and suggest that they should only be paid slave wages.

dja1980

Reaction score
Who says they don't want to work for it? You don't think the people at that Motorola plant in Texas were earning their wage??
You're missing my point and getting off topic. There are MANY who want to work for it, and others who simply wait for the minimum wage to be increased. All I'm saying is that in the long run, raising the minimum wage is going to create more and more loss of jobs here, and create more and more jobs in China and other countries who are able to manufacture less expensively. The ONLY way raising the minimum wage will help is if we ALL can agree to keep that money filtering throughout OUR OWN economy, but who are we kidding.

dja1980

Reaction score
A minimum wage job should at least earn what ever the LOCAL poverty level income is. That's what a person should make as a bottom rung earner working a solid day's work. A minimum wage job should be for people working their way into society like former convicts, the mentally challenged, entry level workers getting their first ever job, etc. It's a job with minimal skill requirements for those looking to join/rejoin society and gathering experience. If you think that earning poverty level income is getting over or that it steals from your pocket then you are obviously detached from reality. I hope you realize that the better off that a country's "poverty level" standard of living is, the better off that society is as a whole because the societal "average" is shifted higher. Paying wages below the poverty level accomplishes nothing except increasing the income gap in the U.S. and further eroding the middle class. It's both funny and sad to see people who probably earn modest wages look down their noses at minimum wage workers and suggest that they should only be paid slave wages.
I agree with this 100%!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Guys, we are wandering far afield from the topic this thread was created for. Economic theory really isn't what this forum was created for.

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...

Hodor

Reaction score
You're missing my point and getting off topic. There are MANY who want to work for it, and others who simply wait for the minimum wage to be increased. All I'm saying is that in the long run, raising the minimum wage is going to create more and more loss of jobs here, and create more and more jobs in China and other countries who are able to manufacture less expensively. The ONLY way raising the minimum wage will help is if we ALL can agree to keep that money filtering throughout OUR OWN economy, but who are we kidding.

I agree, I guess I am missing your point, whatever that is?

dja1980

Reaction score
I agree, I guess I am missing your point, whatever that is?
You asked "who says they don't want to work for it?"... which was not the point of my post. My point is simple... another US manufacturer is closing their doors, and more employees are losing their jobs due to the expense of operating in the US. The post I made yesterday "This is very sad... get rid of minimum wage... and watch how many jobs come back to the US! Oh, but we're headed for $15/hr... that will definitely help. :blink:" was related to the announcement yesterday that Seattle's minimum wage will be going to $15/hr. I'm not really advocating that we drop minimum wage, but I don't think anyone is arguing that if we did, manufacturing would flock back to the US. I think Dusty's post was spot on, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Guys, we are wandering far afield from the topic this thread was created for. Economic theory really isn't what this forum was created for.
I don't know. I agree that this forum was designed to discuss Android, but when the OP specifically states "When you combine that with the higher cost of labor and shipping in the U.S., then the plant turns into a big money loser for the company.", you are bound to get conversations such as this. And, I'm always up for a good discussion as long as both sides are keeping an open mind and nobody is getting nasty. We can always agree to disagree, right? :beer2:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You're both right. This forum is for discussion period. As long as everyone follows the guidelines and has an informed polite discussion its fine.

Stay away from politics or religion as it will always cause a debate lol.

Keep up the chatter folks.

Sent from my DE Moto X