Motorola will be Closing the Brand New Texas Moto X Plant by the End of the Year

acousticshade

Reaction score
After this move, I think my love for Motorola phones will take a nose dive.
I will focus on HTC or *gasp* Samsung.
I really love the HTC one, but OOP costs are too high presently.

Try LG. The G2 is a Heck of a great phone.

Can't put out an overpriced midrange phone unless you are Apple. Also, with the likes of the one+1, the competition is getting seriously tougher.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't put out an overpriced midrange phone unless you are Apple. Also, with the likes of the one+1, the competition is getting seriously tougher.

Speaking of "mid-range" phones, looks like I'll be waiting a while for a phone with <5" display, good specs and an SD slot. The Moto X came close, but looks like they too are moving toward bigger phones (and still no SD).

Everyone can't be fans of these phablet phones...Has to still be a market for a high-end phone that's under 5", right?

husker_fan

Reaction score
I hope so, I hate phablets, they are for people with low vision and giant pockets

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Everyone can't be fans of these phablet phones...Has to still be a market for a high-end phone that's under 5", right?

That market is about as big as the "high end spec with physical keyboard" market. The industry just moved on.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Speaking of "mid-range" phones, looks like I'll be waiting a while for a phone with <5" display, good specs and an SD slot. The Moto X came close, but looks like they too are moving toward bigger phones (and still no SD).

Most people I talk with on a daily basis think phones above 5" are ridiculous. We were just poking fun at a coworker the other day because he has a giant Samsung Note. He also has bear paws for hands...

Either way, most people I know want a regular sized phone, not a phablet/tablet/big screen TV to carry around with them.

I personally don't see the draw to these gigantic phones every company seems to be coming out with.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I love the avatar b-jam..lol
I'm one of those peeps though I won't go under 5 on a phone ..love the real estate on my screens ..actually G2 which was a recent phone feels small in hand and it's 5.2 ..Haha

M8 tapa

tommyz

Reaction score
This is really too bad, I've really liked Motorola...

And there goes one of the reasons I was sticking with Motorola... It will probably be goodbye to Moto unless they don't proceed with this shut-down.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Most people I talk with on a daily basis think phones above 5" are ridiculous. We were just poking fun at a coworker the other day because he has a giant Samsung Note. He also has bear paws for hands...

Either way, most people I know want a regular sized phone, not a phablet/tablet/big screen TV to carry around with them.

I personally don't see the draw to these gigantic phones every company seems to be coming out with.

I can go either way. The G2 is big, but because the bezels are so small and it's very thin, it doesn't feel that big. I probably wouldn't go much smaller than 5" on any future phone I get for myself though. The benefits just outweigh the drawbacks after using one for the last 6 month's.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
..love the real estate on my screens ..

M8 tapa

Finally someone gives a legitimate reason to like the big sized phones.

I never really understood what people liked about them, mostly because they just say "I like the bigger phones." Well I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that means exactly...lol.

I can understand that you'd like the extra real estate for the screen itself, as long as the bezel isn't too intrusive. For me, I don't need the bigger screen. My brother has the G2, and while the screen is nice, its impossible for me to practically use it with one hand (and I would say my hands are average sized, not small).

For this, I'll stick with the smaller phones, and the Moto X fits the bill for me. Nice screen, nice size.

KaChow

Reaction score
Finally someone gives a legitimate reason to like the big sized phones.

I never really understood what people liked about them, mostly because they just say "I like the bigger phones." Well I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that means exactly...lol.

I can understand that you'd like the extra real estate for the screen itself, as long as the bezel isn't too intrusive. For me, I don't need the bigger screen. My brother has the G2, and while the screen is nice, its impossible for me to practically use it with one hand (and I would say my hands are average sized, not small).

For this, I'll stick with the smaller phones, and the Moto X fits the bill for me. Nice screen, nice size.

Might want to stay away from the Moto X+1 it's a 5.2 screen.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That market is about as big as the "high end spec with physical keyboard" market. The industry just moved on.

The industry has moved on, but I don't equate that to no market for smaller screens. I wonder if part of it isn't related to the spec race on display resolution. The IPhone still sells a ton, and like others I hear quite a few people laugh at how ridiculous the phablets look.

My personal preference is a 4.7" display is about ideal.

dja1980

Reaction score
This is very sad... get rid of minimum wage... and watch how many jobs come back to the US! Oh, but we're headed for $15/hr... that definitely help. :blink:

Hodor

Reaction score
This is very sad... get rid of minimum wage... and watch how many jobs come back to the US! Oh, but we're headed for $15/hr... that definitely help. :blink:

DOH! Seriously dude? Guys like you crack me up. So what do you think the average American worker should make for minimum wage?

dja1980

Reaction score
DOH! Seriously dude? Guys like you crack me up. So what do you think the average American worker should make for minimum wage?
You said it yourself... "another American icon get sucked up by communist China". I'm all for minimum wage if we ALL support USA products and businesses, but this obviously isn't working here. The economy is a big pump designed to circulate money around. The idea of minimum wage is to get more money circulating, and in theory, grow our economy. But what happens when that pump starts leaking? So, we bump the minimum wage and put more money into the pockets of those who are going to end up indirectly supporting China... ie, shopping at Wal-Mart, purchasing cheap products, etc... That's more and more of our money leaving our economy. You don't fix a leaking pump by adding more water to it. The government can't force businesses to manufacture in the US, and they can't force us to stop buying cheap Chinese products. So, why would Lenovo or any other manufacturer want to manufacture their products here?

Hodor

Reaction score
You said it yourself... "another American icon get sucked up by communist China". I'm all for minimum wage if we ALL support USA products and businesses, but this obviously isn't working here. The economy is a big pump designed to circulate money around. The idea of minimum wage is to get more money circulating, and in theory, grow our economy. But what happens when that pump starts leaking? So, we bump the minimum wage and put more money into the pockets of those who are going to end up indirectly supporting China... ie, shopping at Wal-Mart, purchasing cheap products, etc... That's more and more of our money leaving our economy. You don't fix a leaking pump by adding more water to it. The government can't force businesses to manufacture in the US, and they can't force us to stop buying cheap Chinese products. So, why would Lenovo or any other manufacturer want to manufacture their products here?

I am sorry, but your theory is flawed. Putting more money into the hands of the American worker is NEVER a bad thing. Companies like Lenovo will NEVER manufacture their products here as long as they have slave labor working for pennies right in their own backyards. That's the real problem.