Motorola will be Closing the Brand New Texas Moto X Plant by the End of the Year

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 30, 2014.

1. KaChow

KaChow Active Member

Ratings:
    +143
    Might want to stay away from the Moto X+1 it's a 5.2 screen.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    The industry has moved on, but I don't equate that to no market for smaller screens. I wonder if part of it isn't related to the spec race on display resolution. The IPhone still sells a ton, and like others I hear quite a few people laugh at how ridiculous the phablets look.

My personal preference is a 4.7" display is about ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dja1980

dja1980 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    This is very sad... get rid of minimum wage... and watch how many jobs come back to the US! Oh, but we're headed for $15/hr... that definitely help. :blink:

4. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    DOH! Seriously dude? Guys like you crack me up. So what do you think the average American worker should make for minimum wage?

5. dja1980

dja1980 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    You said it yourself... "another American icon get sucked up by communist China". I'm all for minimum wage if we ALL support USA products and businesses, but this obviously isn't working here. The economy is a big pump designed to circulate money around. The idea of minimum wage is to get more money circulating, and in theory, grow our economy. But what happens when that pump starts leaking? So, we bump the minimum wage and put more money into the pockets of those who are going to end up indirectly supporting China... ie, shopping at Wal-Mart, purchasing cheap products, etc... That's more and more of our money leaving our economy. You don't fix a leaking pump by adding more water to it. The government can't force businesses to manufacture in the US, and they can't force us to stop buying cheap Chinese products. So, why would Lenovo or any other manufacturer want to manufacture their products here?

6. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I am sorry, but your theory is flawed. Putting more money into the hands of the American worker is NEVER a bad thing. Companies like Lenovo will NEVER manufacture their products here as long as they have slave labor working for pennies right in their own backyards. That's the real problem.

7. dja1980

dja1980 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, it is a bad thing if we are putting money into the hands of those who don't want to work for it. What ever happened to EARNING your wage? If you are worth more, you will get paid more. If it's never a bad thing, why stop at $15... we might as well go to $30, $50, or an even $100/hr... that would surely help the economy, right? All I'm saying is that there are only two ways to bring manufacturing back to the US... either business need to be able to manufacture at a competitive price here, or people need to purchase USA products regardless of the price.

8. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Who says they don't want to work for it? You don't think the people at that Motorola plant in Texas were earning their wage??

9. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL
    A minimum wage job should at least earn what ever the LOCAL poverty level income is. That's what a person should make as a bottom rung earner working a solid day's work. A minimum wage job should be for people working their way into society like former convicts, the mentally challenged, entry level workers getting their first ever job, etc. It's a job with minimal skill requirements for those looking to join/rejoin society and gathering experience. If you think that earning poverty level income is getting over or that it steals from your pocket then you are obviously detached from reality. I hope you realize that the better off that a country's "poverty level" standard of living is, the better off that society is as a whole because the societal "average" is shifted higher. Paying wages below the poverty level accomplishes nothing except increasing the income gap in the U.S. and further eroding the middle class. It's both funny and sad to see people who probably earn modest wages look down their noses at minimum wage workers and suggest that they should only be paid slave wages.

10. dja1980

dja1980 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    You're missing my point and getting off topic. There are MANY who want to work for it, and others who simply wait for the minimum wage to be increased. All I'm saying is that in the long run, raising the minimum wage is going to create more and more loss of jobs here, and create more and more jobs in China and other countries who are able to manufacture less expensively. The ONLY way raising the minimum wage will help is if we ALL can agree to keep that money filtering throughout OUR OWN economy, but who are we kidding.

11. dja1980

dja1980 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I agree with this 100%!

12. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Guys, we are wandering far afield from the topic this thread was created for. Economic theory really isn't what this forum was created for.

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...

• Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page

moto x plant closure

moto x plant closure forum
motorola in austin texas
motorola screen repair