Motorola Smartphone Sales Doubled in the Year as Lenovo Took Over

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-and-lenovo.jpg

Motorola's business picked up steam directly after Lenovo took over. Of course, part of that is simply attributed to the Droid Turbo, which was already in development before Lenovo took the reigns. Despite this, the changeover to Lenovo ownership must have had some effect on their reputation. After-all, Lenovo is the sole PC manufacturer that is doing fine during a world-wide reduction in PC sales.

At any rate, Lenovo announced their earnings and although Motorola wasn't back to being profitable yet, they aren't far from it either. The great news is that their sales more than doubled over the year... up 118% to be exact. They sold over 10 Million phones last year too. In fact, Lenovo's united mobile division market share rose 78 percent in a year, putting them third overall behind Samsung and Apple. Not too shabby!

For even more details on how Lenovo is doing hit up the source link here: Lenovo

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As a long time Motorola fan, this is good news. I'm sure Lenovo had some part in the increased sales (better marketing & advertising maybe?), but i think the big reason is some great new phones: the Droid Turbo, the Moto X (both versions), the Moto G, Moto E, etc. They are making quality phones that fit different regions, needs and budget points. And they have become much better at pushing out software updates faster and more efficiently (many core apps are now Play Store apps that can be updated without waiting for OS version updates). I hope they continue to do well in the future.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As someone who was a long time Moto fan from the OG Droid on through several others, I'll be looking more seriously at a Moto device when it's time to upgrade again.

Now that they've all but done away with Blur completely and have gone back to a much closer to stock experience, my interest has piqued again. I actually went through the steps on MotoMaker for a new Moto x before deciding on the Note 4 instead.

If they'd just get their camera up to perform closer to how the Note's and other devices are performing these days, they'd be a REAL contender in my eyes. That and the desire to bump up my screen size were the two biggest decision makers this time around.

And I like the idea of Active Display and the other things they've added in. Nice subtle touches from what I can see.

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a long time Motorola fan, this is good news. I'm sure Lenovo had some part in the increased sales (better marketing & advertising maybe?), but i think the big reason is some great new phones: the Droid Turbo, the Moto X (both versions), the Moto G, Moto E, etc. They are making quality phones that fit different regions, needs and budget points. And they have become much better at pushing out software updates faster and more efficiently (many core apps are now Play Store apps that can be updated without waiting for OS version updates). I hope they continue to do well in the future.

Don't forget the 360!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
If they'd just get their camera up to perform closer to how the Note's and other devices are performing these days,

You're not going to convince me that the Note takes pictures THAT much better then my Turbo, pal. Imply that again and you're going to have to deal with this dude.

:D
Christian.jpg

(Of course, shrank it twice to fit on DF's piddly photo size policy)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You're not going to convince me that the Note takes pictures THAT much better then my Turbo, pal. Imply that again and you're going to have to deal with this dude.

View attachment 74210
That's a lot better than the shots I saw from the Moto x when I was shopping. Turbo didn't exist at the time.

Also, I was concerned more with low light shots, where the x didn't do so well in comparison to the Note. I hang out in dark places.

Now call off the ninja.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 74210
Next time use this instead when on tapatalk.
37e88b12d26f3f2d9feb4680fdbfa7c7.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how much of the profit is a result from them cutting the work force. When a company takes over they are able to ride the pipeline and cut the work force so they are making early profits. But once the pipeline dries up and they are having to create their own devices will they be able to command the same love using their cheaper work force. In other words, do they have enough quality engineers that can continue to make Motorola phones known for their build quality and solid radios?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Everything Lenovo has inherited is just that... From the pipe.. Googlerola devices... And designs... Let's see what happens when it's left up to them... I wonder what would've happened if Googlerola hadn't secured the droid line for moto.. I don't think we'd be having this conversation.. And i AM a moto fan boy... If it wasn't for the turbo and the x and the hype of the n6..these numbers wouldn't be where they are.. Just my opinion