Motorola Droid nearing End of Life

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
moto-droid-eol.jpg

While we are busy celebrating the release of the new Motorola Droid X, we have a bit of information that hit us completely by surprise. Today we were tipped off with some rather unfortunate news that the Motorola Droid and Motorola Devour have appeared on the End of Life life device list at Verizon. This comes just days after we got a glimpse of Verizon's new summer catalog with pictures of the Motorola Droid 2 on the front cover. Could Verizon be depleting all of the Droid stock for a Droid 2 back to school release in early August? Let us know your thoughts.

Currently Verizon is offering the Motorola Droid at $149, buy one get one free. If you're on the fence about getting one, now might be the last chance before the new and improved Droid 2 replaces it!

Thanks Miami!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
makes sense to clear out the original model for the Droid 2, which is in essence just a fixed-up (and locked-down) version anyway

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Not a shocker but that doesn't mean the Droid's life is over. For all intents and purposes the Droid and Nexus One are still the premier Android handsets due the dev community behind them. Until another handset from whatever manufacturer gets the support of either of these they will both reign supreme.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
makes sense to clear out the original model for the Droid 2, which is in essence just a fixed-up (and locked-down) version anyway

:icon_evil: :sad: :icon_evil:

but hey im getting the X in hopes of someone out there will find a way around...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow, but that is because the Droid 2 is probably replacing it. And those wanting Droid will be able to get them still via ebay

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6

This. And it'll happen with the Droid 3, etc...

RLJSlick

Reaction score
That's too bad, old girl been good to me, but we all eventually have to move on. LOL

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
There is still no confirmation that the D2 is locked down.

If it's a "Google Experience" phone like the original Droid then it should be wide open.

We'll find out in a few weeks.

brando56894

Reaction score
If the DX is locked down then the D2 will most likely be locked down also, why do one and not the other? I guess we'll see in about a month or so.

Tino

Reaction score
I have insurance on my Droid. What will happen if I break or lose my phone? Will they send me a Droid 2 or will I get a replacement Droid.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have insurance on my Droid. What will happen if I break or lose my phone? Will they send me a Droid 2 or will I get a replacement Droid.

I wouldn't tempt fate with that game, for all you know, they may replace it with a Storm II.

But the most likely occurrence, is that they would replace it with a refurbished Droid I