Moto Z not charging from portable battery! Now it's almost dead!

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
I'm on a long bus ride & brought a portable charger that has worked great with my old iPhone. I plugged my Moto Z in it & the screen twitches like it recognized something was plugged in. The battery acts like it's working but it's not charging. It's the same USB- C type cable I use to charge it on my PC. I recently got some help from a great member of this forum about why I can't access my Moto folders when plugged into PC. They said to look for my "USB Notification" settings. I Googled this charger problem & I also get the same USB suggestions. I can't find anything or anywhere on my phone the deals with "USB Notification". I checked status menu & setting/ notifications with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The USB charging notification I recommend only applies when plugged into a computer, not a battery pack. And it's not in the Settings menu, it's a notification that pops up when connected to a computer. My guess is your battery pack is not compatible with the newer fast charging chip that's in the Z Series phones, so the phone doesn't recognize it as a power source.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Hi thanks for getting back to me about that battery charger. That sucks. It looks like I'll have to find one that is compatibale with Moto z. I'm still a bit confused about the "notification" & USB cable issue. When I plug my moto z into my laptop like it is now I get a purple screen on my home screen that shows the battery icon & the current percentage of power left. I go to the setting gear & it just brings me to the Charger Boost options. There is no options for changing any setting to allow for files to be accessed by the laptop. When I plug in the phone to my laptop I get a screen that opens on my laptop showing the phone as a drive (XT1650) but its still says " folder empty. If it matters I have a ASUS ROG win 10 x64. Also shouldn't there be a way to access internal files via BT & Wifi? Thanks again for your help! :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's not in the Settings, don't click the Gear icon.

It's in the Notification panel. Connect your phone. Slide down to see Notifications. You should see this.

3c74a80d022f2128b2bdf87f9bc0a261.jpg

Tap that Notification and then you should see this.

b36e69ea88465afc8b82cdc19ba83735.jpg

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
I just read something interesting, not all USB-C cables work for both power & data transfer. I've never used a USB-C cable until now. The phone only came with the faster wall charger so I got a USB-C cable off Amazon. But if it was a power only cable why would my laptop recognize the phone when its plugged in? That sounds like a power & data cable to me. Thanks!

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
WOOOOOW!!!! COOL!! U R A GENIUS!!! ;-) I was able to do it now that you sent me those pics. What does PTP & MTP mean? I'm still trying to get used to all the terms & notifications since I'm a total Droid newbie. Now I know what you meant by "notifications". Since we are on the subject of "notifications" what's that best way to reduce or control what gets "notified" I always seems to have a ton of them & a lot seems to be useless? Also if I may ask, what's your opinion on Avast for Droid App? I use Avast on my laptop so I got it for my new phone but would you recommend it? Is there a youtube or blog you would recommend I go to to learn how to best set up &/or tweak my Moto z?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
PTP is photo transfer protocol, for transferring pictures.

MTP is media transfer protocol (I believe) and is used for transferring any file type.

I am not familiar with Avast, so I personally can't answer that.

I'm not aware of any you tube videos detailing how to setup and use a Moto Z. They may exist, but I have never looked for any. There are some generic You Tube videos made my Motorola that help explain basic smart phone functions and certain Moto specific functions.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As you stated, not all USB -C cables are the same. And there are numerous articles around the web, and this forum, about cheap cables frying phones. Today was the first, and probably only, time my Z Force has been connected to my laptop. I use a SD Card to store all personal files and can pop it out of the phone and into my laptop when needed, no need to connect the phone via USB.

Also, the built in File Manager app has an option to connect to your computer via WiFi and you can manage files between phone and computer that way also, no need for a USB cable that might damage your phone. Make sure both devices are on the same WiFi network. Open the File Manager app > 3 line menu > Remote Management and follow the on screen instructions. It's easy to setup and works pretty good.

Many folks may not know that's available on their Z series phones.

d1537e6513aa55473b4b7502e240bd01.jpg