Moto Z Getting Oreo "In a Few Weeks"

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You guys don't have Oreo yet? Barbarians!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
3 favorite things:
PIP: Picture-in-picture. Not all apps support this feature AND I never thought I'd ever care about using it. But it's 'cool'. If you are using Maps for directions and you press home or recent and you go somewhere else, Maps drops to a small PIP window on your screen. If you touch it, it gets a little larger. You can move it anywhere on your screen. If you drag it off the bottom, it closes it PIP but the app still runs. YouTube Red supports this.
Notification shade: it's PRETTY. lol Apps can now show more info in there AND they can use color.
New calling screen when people call.
Fun but not functional changes.
Functional changes that I like include: huge overhaul on Notifications.
Notification Control. Now when you get a notification, you can swipe left and disable them right there. Instead of having to go into Settings > apps > blablabla. Huge improvement.
You can also 'Snooze' notifications now, too.
Notifications have priorities now, too. Some will fill your shade but not pop at you and others will. This is customizable too.
Android now communicates better to you about background tasks. For instance I never knew Pandora was running in the background every time my phone connects to my car.
Settings have been rearranged quite a bit. Everything is in more of a "that makes more sense" kind of place. BUT Battery Stats have been a little TOO simplified.
And finally, BT audio quality has been GREATLY improved by supporting some newer standard that I don't know all the details of.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
3 favorite things:
PIP: Picture-in-picture. Not all apps support this feature AND I never thought I'd ever care about using it. But it's 'cool'. If you are using Maps for directions and you press home or recent and you go somewhere else, Maps drops to a small PIP window on your screen. If you touch it, it gets a little larger. You can move it anywhere on your screen. If you drag it off the bottom, it closes it PIP but the app still runs. YouTube Red supports this.
Notification shade: it's PRETTY. lol Apps can now show more info in there AND they can use color.
New calling screen when people call.
Fun but not functional changes.
Functional changes that I like include: huge overhaul on Notifications.
Notification Control. Now when you get a notification, you can swipe left and disable them right there. Instead of having to go into Settings > apps > blablabla. Huge improvement.
You can also 'Snooze' notifications now, too.
Notifications have priorities now, too. Some will fill your shade but not pop at you and others will. This is customizable too.
Android now communicates better to you about background tasks. For instance I never knew Pandora was running in the background every time my phone connects to my car.
Settings have been rearranged quite a bit. Everything is in more of a "that makes more sense" kind of place. BUT Battery Stats have been a little TOO simplified.
And finally, BT audio quality has been GREATLY improved by supporting some newer standard that I don't know all the details of.
Oh, that sounds great! I can't wait!! I didn't really understand the importance of PIP, but that makes sense now. How cool!
Thanks for making the time to fill us in. I appreciate it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
So how does PIP compare to split screen? Better, worse, different?

apepple25

Reaction score
Im just excited for when the update becomes available it's going to be awesome!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the update Pere. I'm still waiting to see who gets Oreo first, my Z Force, my daughter's Z Play or the wife's Z2 Play. All are supposedly "on the way soon".

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Folks are starting to report issues on the Moto Forum, with the Z Play and Oreo. Let's hope that these issues can be cleared with a Factory Reset since this will almost certainly be the last Android OS update we receive. Let's hope that some of these are over blown and caused by rogue apps. I hate when I see reports of twist to open camera crashes and other basic Moto functions not working correctly, and major issues with the new Notification panel. Fingers crossed.....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
There was one minor issue with 8.0 on the Z2. Some apps, but not all, stopped sending info to headunits and other devices over BT. So everything says unknown. Seems to mostly affect apps that play locally stored music like Rocket Player and Power Amp. Spotify and Play work fine. This was actually caused by Google removing support for an older BT standard. They put it back in 8.1 and I'm not optimistic we'll see that. Probably see 9 first. So if you're a big local music player, keep that in mind.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks Pere, and that's my concern. The Z2 series will see Android 9 but we will not. So we will be stuck with any lingering Google bugs in Oreo 8.0.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I've got.a Moto Z Play. I don't listen to music, but news and talk radio like sports on Tune In and Sirius satellite radio app on blue tooth thru ear buds and on different vehicles with a Gogroove flex smart 2.
Would I need to beware about updating?
Thank you
There was one minor issue with 8.0 on the Z2. Some apps, but not all, stopped sending info to headunits and other devices over BT. So everything says unknown. Seems to mostly affect apps that play locally stored music like Rocket Player and Power Amp. Spotify and Play work fine. This was actually caused by Google removing support for an older BT standard. They put it back in 8.1 and I'm not optimistic we'll see that. Probably see 9 first. So if you're a big local music player, keep that in mind.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited: