Moto, Eris, Other?

thelion

Reaction score
Hello. Here is my story.

I renewed my contract in early November to a Blackberry Storm 2. Immediately I realized what a POS it was and took it into the store to pick out a new phone. I chose the Droid and took it home that same day. Between that day and December 12 I had 3 Droids. Droid 1 was returned because it liked to freeze during phone calls and required a battery pull to fix the error - each time. Droid 2 was replaced for the same problem. Droid 3 was fine for awhile but suffered from terrible reception (and issue I had with no other phones) and eventually would get to where I could people but they heard dead air from me.

So, after Droid 3, the salesman recommended the Droid Eris. Which I now have. And hate. It is laggy and blah and the reception is hit or miss. Long story short? I hate it.

I have the option to go BACK to the Droid but I don't want to keep having to replace them. And I need a phone that makes phone calls well (and yes, I am in a well signaled area and NO ONE with ANY OTHER phone has issues here).

Advice?

And yes, I did the update with the Droid - it did not fix the issues.

broosewee

Reaction score
Get the Droid again and see if you can replace it at a different store. Issues in manufacturing can occur in batches. Your store could've gotten a bad one which makes it more probable you end up with a defective unit repeatedly.

The Eris, however nice it is, does lag pretty bad sometimes. :(

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
The lag is unbelievable on my Eris. It takes several minutes just "loading" after I turn it on, the browser can take forever to function. The reception quality is all over the map even in the exact same location (I can watch it go from none to full and back to none while just sitting on the table).

JayMonster

Reaction score
Going from the Droid to the Eris is a tough transition. It is sort of like going from a Mercedes to a Honda Civic.

I have had my Droid since day 1 (Nov 6) and have had zero problem. So, get a good one, and you will be happy with it (I believe).

Did you ever dial *228 on your your phone to update your PRL? Very often that helps with "funky" reception in generally good areas (as you seem to be).

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
Yeah I did the *228. It was so crazy with the freak issues I had. The first one would lock up and I would have to do a battery pull on any call > 10 minutes. The next one had ****ty, ****ty reception (very staticy). The third one had both other issues + every now and then I could hear the caller but they could not hear me.

I miss my Droid. I don't like the Eris but if I get another Droid I am worried I will have the same issues again and I am not going to have a phone that causes so much grief.