Moto E Dominates the Samsung Galaxy S5 in Real World Performance Test Video

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;3P9vDAY0U0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9vDAY0U0A[/video]​

Although at face value this sounds impossible, in some areas the Moto E actually bests the Samsung Galaxy S5 in performance. As you will see in the above video, the Galaxy S5 and the Moto E went head to head with a real-world UI performance test, and the Moto E actually comes out on top. This isn't some fancy benchmark software with gobs of long numbers. Instead, the video crafter simply demonstrates the two phones side by side performing average tasks. The results become obvious even as they shock us.

To be fair, it is rather obvious in the long run why this might occur. The Moto E is very close to stock Android and has been masterfully optimized by the engineering geniuses at Motorola. On the other hand, the Galaxy S5 has TouchWiz running on top of the Android OS. When you think about it in those terms, you would almost expect the performance delta to favor the Moto E.

Despite the logic of this assessment, the results are still surprising to watch.

Bara65

Reaction score
I noticed he had a lot more pictures on S5 gallery app than Moto E. And he seems to touch Moto E slightly ahead of S5 with his right finger. Not saying Moto E's UI performance is not good but this hardly looks like professional test.

No doubt TW is heavy UI but it's not as bad on S5 as this video makes it look. It's much better, lighter than S4. Out of box, it has pretty much everything turned on. But I turned off S-voice, my magazine, air view, multi-window and it moves much faster than this video. I can make it even faster if I reduce animation scale in developer setting, put nova launcher but don't feel need to do so.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I figured there was more to it. Still, his test is fairly valid when comparing "open box" versions of these devices.

Obviously your tweaks make a ton sense for many SGS5 users.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This comparo just revealed that the Moto E is Rocky and the SGS5 is Ivan Drago. "I must break you" mmmhmm sure :)

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I never understand why peeps leave the animation on.. Then they wonder why is the phone lagging a little between task? Turn them off people lol.. First thing you activate a phone is get to developer options..

Knock knock G2