Moto Droid - Contract = Android iTouch?

e_man

Reaction score
I keep seeing motorola droids for sale, they seem to go for about $250 without contract, which is pretty good for 16Gb. I don't want to (can't) pay for a contract at the moment, but I was wondering, could I just use it as what would essentially be an android iTouch? Access to the apps market, and internet over wifi?

Also, would this preclude me from, say, getting a data only contract later, and maybe a skype account for my calls?

In my googling, I came across this article, but no comments to confirm it.

Or am I making this too hard, and there is already an android 2.1 (upgradeable at some point to 2.2) device that I could be using as such?

Any help would be awesome.

Edit: Also, is there a map pack I can add for navigation? I'd still like to be able to use the GPS, but without maps or 3G, it's kinda useless

Last edited:

NYZ93

Reaction score
Not A bad idea it would work yes for everything you need i guess plus you can add a 32gb sd card and when you are able to pay again you can always reactivate it
and yes you can get passed the activation screen i did it somehow accidently

Reaction score
To get past the activation screen you have to start at the top left corner and go in a clockwise motion through the corners to the bottom left dragging the whole time

JFDroid

Reaction score
To get past the activation screen you have to start at the top left corner and go in a clockwise motion through the corners to the bottom left dragging the whole time

You don't have to drag. Just start at the top left corner, touch it, then touch the top right corner, then the bottom right corner, then the bottom left corner.

1 ------>2
|
|
V
4<-------3

Like that. Touch each spot in that order. No need to "drag" :p

OP
E

e_man

Reaction score
Awesome, and that won't make it so I can't activate later? Also, any info on a map pack?

OP
E

e_man

Reaction score
Another question. Would a bad esn affect it in "pda" mode? What about a data plan? Not sure if it only affects voice, or how much it affects. Would save me a couple bucks

goldenu

Reaction score
I'm switching one over to MetroPCS, and using it in the manner you're talking about in the mean time...The Skype app is Verizon-only, and won't let you use wifi. There are two apps that claim to allow you to use Skype: iSkoot and Nimbuzz. I have never been able to get iSkoot to even log in, and Nimbuzz will make but not receive calls on my phone.

The biggest disadvantage is the phone's absolute dependence on an always-on internet connection - that's not really compatible with the not-always-available nature of wifi. I came from a windows mobile platform to Android, so this is the first time I've had to work with a cloud-dependent device.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit: Also, is there a map pack I can add for navigation? I'd still like to be able to use the GPS, but without maps or 3G, it's kinda useless
You need to find a GPS nav app (such as Copilot) that stores maps locally. There seems to be a mistaken assumption that Google Maps/Nav = GPS. It's just another app that can use the GPS receiver.

OP
E

e_man

Reaction score
I'm switching one over to MetroPCS, and using it in the manner you're talking about in the mean time...The Skype app is Verizon-only, and won't let you use wifi. There are two apps that claim to allow you to use Skype: iSkoot and Nimbuzz. I have never been able to get iSkoot to even log in, and Nimbuzz will make but not receive calls on my phone.

The biggest disadvantage is the phone's absolute dependence on an always-on internet connection - that's not really compatible with the not-always-available nature of wifi. I came from a windows mobile platform to Android, so this is the first time I've had to work with a cloud-dependent device.

That's unfortunate about skype, but acceptable I suppose. What do you mean dependance on constant connection? I can understand why you would be able to do more with a connection, but why does it need constant connection?

You need to find a GPS nav app (such as Copilot) that stores maps locally. There seems to be a mistaken assumption that Google Maps/Nav = GPS. It's just another app that can use the GPS receiver.

Yeah, I got that. I was just looking for a map pack that could use the GPS. I saw copilot, but there was some bad reviews about it not working, and that makes me nervous for $30. Also, it doesn't make routes?