Moto Droid 1 Hates Certain Roms?

devinsetsfire

Reaction score
Alright, I did some searching on the forum but couldn't quiet get the answer I was looking for.

I have a rooted Motorola Droid 2.2 Froyo FRG22D. I have Rom Manager Premium v2.5.0.4 and flash recovery 2.5.0.1

When I go to "Download Rom" a list populates with several Roms and Addons. I would like to test out CyanogenMod 6.1 RC3 (Or really ANY CyanogenMod)

I use the Rom Manager to download the Rom and then when it's complete I check the boxes for Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache. All seems to be going as planned. Untill I press OK and it reboots into recovery mode to Install the Rom.

It then boots into Recovery and I don't see the package with the arrow and the Droid dude. I see white font black background that keeps going over and over again saying

Can't mound /dev/block/mmcblk0. Then it reboots to a Clockwork screen with screen font and it has a few options but nothing seems to be in any of the options for a ROM install so I just reboot device.

But I have rom's already installed pryor (Ultimate Droid New Era v1.0 works great)

Is there something that is not allowing me to run CyanogenMod 6.1? is it built for specific phones?

it happens to most of my Rom's actually it reboots after downloading it from Rom Manager and it says can't install file or directory can't be found or doesn't exsist even thought I JUST downloaded it from Rom Manager and rebooted from the program as well to auto boot into Recovery and do it's magic.

It's probably a simple fix that I'm missing everytime which usually seems to happen with my rooting/rom questions ha.

But please bear with me ha I'm new to rooting and mods I'm more knowledgeable of ipod jail breaking and modding.

P.S. I do flash recovery BEFORE installing the Rom

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

If RM won't work for you, and it's not, you can try a couple of things. First, try installing the ROM and then the Google app pack manually. Second, flash alternate recovery image, then Clockwork Recovery, 3x each alternating. Then try again. If you're still having problems, let us know and we'll try to fix you up. :)

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
My wife's Droid does this same thing when it goes back to recovery go into install zip from SD choose zip and go to the folder rom manager downloads to and install it manually

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would download the ROM you are interested via a computer get it to your SD card and install it via Recovery, cutting out ROM Manager which is most likely the culprit

OP
devinsetsfire

devinsetsfire

Reaction score
usually when I try to install a ROM manually from my SD it does the same thing but I'll give it a go.

Also the first reply to my first post (sorry forgot to quote) how do I do a flash recovery outside of Rom Manager is there a flash app out there?

Thanks for all the replies I'll try it out and reply back to let you know how it goes.

Also when download Rom's from website should I leave the file zipped or unzip it's contents? and do I have to rename the zip folder update.zip like I had to do to root the device?

OP
devinsetsfire

devinsetsfire

Reaction score
All is figured out I guess my phone likes me to do several backups and wipe and then install rom.

Thanks for all the help

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
For the record, you don't have to flash recovery EVERY time you install a ROM. Only when it's giving you problems or there's an update. :)

Glad you got it working!

Oh, and in future, you could try clearing the download cache before you download a ROM. Sometimes it gets gunked up.