More Nifty Uses for NFC Technology; NFC Enabled Residential Locks

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254

If using your NFC enabled Android smartphone as a digital wallet isn't cool enough, (or seems too scary for now), this next innovation for the technology will either have you extra excited, or extra frightened. Apparently, a company called Yale Locks and Hardware developed an NFC enabled digital residential lock. Basically, you can swipe your smartphone in front of your door-handle to lock or unlock the door, rather than fumble around with keys. There was no word given on pricing or availability, but of course, it's only a matter of time as more smartphones start coming with NFC chips internally.

Although the U.S. has been slow to adopt the many interesting facets of NFC technology, apparently, throughout Asia it is becoming fairly common. What do you guys think? Really cool tech, or recipe for disaster? Here's the full press release below:
    Source: DroidMatters

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +751
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    People, please get someone that knows how to use a touch screen phone. That guy was mashing harder than I've ever seen on a phone. Also, I don't want to have to turn my phone on, open an app and then select which door i want to open. Thats more time than using a key that is already in my hand since I most likely just got out of my car. Plus, how many times have you forgotten your phone at home. How much you wanna bet the lock itself is $500 or more.

3. GeLopez

GeLopez Member

Ratings:
    +8
    i would pay around 20 usd for it. mostly because i dont see anything wrong with the current key system now days.

4. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Ratings:
    +24
    You know, at this point, why bother putting chips in the phones? Just put them under our skin and be done with it. Kinda hard to lose your wallet and your keys when it's a part of you. :p

5. Sweettooth

Sweettooth Member

Ratings:
    +11
    This is quickly becoming a hackers paradise. Soon everything in your life will be digitally controlled. Stealing information, breaking and entering, grand theft auto and the like will require nothing more than cracking/decrypting a few lines of code. How crazy would it be if someone, using their Droid Decepticon 2 stole your car (unlocked and started using NFC), drove to Mcy Deez to buy a number 14, no onions with a Sprint, on you of course using NFC Tap N' Go, then drove to and entered your home (using Android NFC residential locks, went through you or your relatives things, logged into and spammed your favorite sites (using NFC account authentication), left, locking the door on the way out, drove the car back to where it was, turned it off, locked it, and went on thier way. Talk about being digitally violated, the reality is almost more shocking than that amazingly long run-on sentence of mine. ;)

6. beneharris

beneharris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it'll end up being closer to $200 most likely. I'm a yale dealer, and i've not heard of them being this expensive

7. Raverrevolution

Ratings:
    +29
    Has anyone even noticed that apparently an iphone 4 has a nfc chip in it?? That's what the guy is using.

8. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
    That is why you need to include some sort of rolling encryption unlocked with biometrics (and I'm not talking about the gimmicky fingerprint swipe stuff). But in all seriousness, I don't feel like implementing this tech makes us any more vulnerable than we already are, but it does make us think about it more.

I remember reading a "forum" (Reddit, i think) about "the creepiest things a guy has done to impress a girl" and there were actually numerous cases recounted in which a guy who worked as a locksmith or key cutter thought it would be clever/impressive if he memorized the cut of her house key that happens to be sitting in the open, go and cut a duplicate, and give it to her later... the point of all that is, with enough determination, people have always had ways to get into our homes, cars, email, credit cards, and bank accounts if they really wanted to, this would just be another way for people with ill intentions to get at them.

On the other hand, when Snake Plissken pushes the button that sets off the world wide EMP, we will no longer be able to start our cars or get into our houses, but we will have bigger problems at that point anyway.

Search tags for this page
nfc
nfc lock for home
nfc reader micasaverde

nfc residential lock