Mobil Hotspot stopped working

OP
R

ralphyost

Reaction score
software push

Pushing software is not a problem - IF - it is done properly.
I work for the FAA. We send software updates into the field operational sites all the time - AFTER it has been sufficiently tested. Its called REGRESSION TESTING. That is, you do a complete retest of all functions, even those you dont think were effected by the changes made - to verify its not effected.
The problem with regression testing is it takes time. Time is money. So people write software, declare it 'good" and push it out.
Remember this; When MickeySoft's Windoze 2000 came out of Beta, it had 60,000 known bugs. Not all were serious, but thats still a LOT of bugs !
R.

Stretch Armstrong

Reaction score
I am having the same problem - good to know

I got my Samsung Charge this past Monday, used the hotspot yesterday without incident and thankfully only wasted 10 minutes on it today before Googling it and this was the top result. Verizon Wireless customer service just called me to ask about my satisfaction with the phone and when I mentioned the hotspot not working they were not aware of a problem.

Thanks everyone for saving me hours of trouble.

pappism

Reaction score
don't thank us. it wouldn't be possible without google for this information to become so readily available.

google > verizon

cryoman

Reaction score
Master Ticket

I was told that there is a Master Ticket on this by Verizon Tech Support & they arre fully aware of the issue. For what its worth.

drhdroid

Reaction score
Mobile Hotspot blinks screen and doesn't start

Ditto this problem.
Holding down home key - long press shows that mobile hotspot is running but can't access it.

I had last used hot spot last Saturday night (5-28-2011), so when my verizon home DSL went down today (6-2-2011), I said no sweat, I'll just fire up my hotspot and e-mail my latest spreadsheet creation into the office. Alas, just got the blink issue on my SAMSUNG Charge when I selected the Mobile Hotspot widget on a home screen or selected it from within the Application button.

I called Verizon Wireless tech support and they said it was an installed app causing the issue, so I started uninstalling apps in reverse order of installation.

Yesterday I was told by an AT&T Samsung Infuse owner about Amazon free app giveaway so I downloaded Pac-Man, only thing is to get it, Amazon forced a widget onto the phone before I could get the Pac-Man game. So I suspected because this was the first non-android market app I had installed that this was the guilty party. Took me a while but I finally got rid of Pac-man and the Amazon app, pulled the battery but still, hotspot was "putting on the blink".

OK so I/we figured it was McAfee Wavesecure app that I had activated on Sunday, as that is an app that takes control of your phone and locks it down if stolen and the security features are activated, but even after uninstalling that app the problem still persists. So I am holding off on uninstalling the rest of my installed apps until a day or two has passed. So guess I'll have to reactivate my droid 2 and it's intermittent hot-spot service so I can surf while out and away from home this weekend. (Oh, and Verizon fixed the home DSL sometime late this afternoon, guess they were having issues in State College, Pa about 30 miles from where I live).

pleungtx

Reaction score
Hotspot not working for Samsung Droid Charge but working for Thunderbolt

I activiate my new Droid Charge today 6/2/201. I have the same problem- hotspot not working. Call Verizon and talk to two tech guys. They cannot fix the problem after reset and something else. The only thing they said trying it again later. My collegaue upgraded his phone to Thunderbolt two weeks ago. His hotspot is working fine. I am not happy about it.

utoypia

Reaction score
I have been using a new phone for research and development, and my hotspot is also down :eek:(

utoypia

Reaction score
With Hotspot being down, I think we should all raise hell to extend free hotspot!

OP
R

ralphyost

Reaction score
lost hot spot weekend

Yeah I think it would be proper of Verizon to extend the free Hot Spot time past June 15 in lieu of this screw up. Its 7am, 24 hours later than I first reported the problem, and its still not working.
Looks like our weekend at anchor is not going to allow my wife to tether to my data plan on the CHARGE.

Is there a Verizon support web site to provide any status of issues like this?

R.
PS, yes I was playing with the voice command software yesterday and some of it worked and some didnt.

bobrock99

Reaction score
Setting the date back to April worked fine for me, thanks! That saved my day!

bentwrench

Reaction score
Setting the date back does work but what a bs mistake to make on Verizons part

pleungtx

Reaction score
i set the date back to May. It works but why it happens. I don't have problem to pay what I use but where is the ethics.

After I turned on the Mobile Hotspot, I connect my Nook and turn back the date back to automatic use network-provided vaules. My nooks still connect and work.

Last edited:

g35coup

Reaction score
Firmware Update

Rumor has it Firmware update to fix hotspot issue was released 6/2 from Samsung to Verizon for testing. Hopefully testing will end sometime next week.

Sammygirl

Reaction score
According to vzw, Samsung has identified the root cause of the problem and submitted a fix to verizon for testing. If all goes well they (vzw) plan on pushing out an over the air update by the end of the week of June 9th.

I did get my hotspot to work briefly today after removing my SIM card, but it stopped again.