Microsoft Surface Phone Will Likely Have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 830

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

While this story isn't Android news, it's interesting mobile tech news worth checking out. According to the latest intel, Microsoft's rumored Surface Phone will probably come equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 830 chipset.

The report indicates that Microsoft is tapping Qualcomm for the MSM8998 Snapdragon 830 chipset, which will use Samsung's 10nm chip process and can support up to 8GB RAM. If the final Surface Phone includes even half that much RAM, it will be well on its way as a top-tier premium device. It will mark the first time we have seen a Microsoft based phone hit those high notes with internal hardware.

Most of the previous Microsoft smartphones have been decidedly mid-range in hardware specs (except the cameras). If this report is accurate, it's good to see the company is taking this seriously enough to make their flagship device more... "flagshippy." What do you folks think? Could it give iOS and Android any serious competition?

Don't forget to check out our dedicated SurfaceForums site for further discussion of Microsoft Surface products: Microsoft Surface Phone Will Likely Have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 830

Source: Forbes

• Like Like x 1
  2. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force Droid
    Get this with 8gb ram running full Windows and i will get it.

3. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    The Surface phone must run full Windows. RT versions of Windows died once the Atom processor became both powerful enough for regular processing power, yet energy efficient enough that it wouldn't be a battery hog.

As far as your memory requirement is concerned, the new Atom chips can see 8 gigs of memory, but putting that much ram in a phone may be counter intuitive and cost prohibitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I love the looks of that device in the photo.... except the plain boring screen but physically the phone does it for me.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

5. boidsonly

boidsonly Active Member

Ratings:
    +99
    My concern with M$ and their phones is: will they abandon their users of this phone like they abandoned all the WP7 and WP8 users?
    Me? I'm not willing to gamble $700-$800 to find out...

6. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +496
    It is my thinking that with the newer phones, you can install newer versions of the OS yourself. These new phones will act like miniature tablets. The BIOS should be UEFI based, of course, with the same protections. This is just wishful thinking, but if Windows 11 comes out one day, you could install that on your phone yourself, without waiting for M$. This is all a part of the intiative from M$ to consolidate their OS.

Sorry to sound like a Windows fanboy, but a Surface phone is akin to a Nexus in my POV.