Messenger apps? AIM/MSN separate or an overall that WORKS on ICS?

motorcityvicki

Reaction score
Hello, new friends.

I tried searching before posting and didn't find anything about messenger apps. On Gingerbread, I had a separate AIM and MSN app that both worked just fine. Now, on ICS, there is no MSN app at all, only secondary applications running the MSN network. And the AIM app is kind of a mess. It will send me messages an hour later time-stamped when they were actually sent. Not really the "instant" messaging I'm looking for. It got better when I removed the background data restriction from my Smart Actions, but it's still not working right. And the best of the MSN apps I've found... well... it doesn't accept auto-correct, and it has obnoxious colors and banner ads. Plus next to no customizable features as far as alerts and text input go.

I've tried eBuddy and imo. Neither one worked for crap; eBuddy wouldn't stay connected for more than a moment or two, imo would get stuck 'sending' messages that would never go through. Neither one accepted auto-correct.

So. What are you using? Are the messages "instant"? Does it stay connected? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

ETA - Lots of helpful stuff in this forum; glad to have found it. This was the only question I had remaining, but I had a lot to start. You guys solved everything else!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tried Trillian? Great app on PCs but I only tried it briefly on Android. It's in the Play Store.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

motorcityvicki

Reaction score
I didn't see it in the store! I would have tried it instantly if I saw it there. Derp. I searched for AIM, messenger, and MSN. Trillian did not come up until I searched for it alone. I'm trying it out now. Thanks!

A BUNCH of apps I used to use disappeared when I upgraded to ICS.This is the only one for which I haven't found a suitable (or superior) replacement.

OP
M

motorcityvicki

Reaction score
Holy. Crap.

Trillian is GORGEOUS. You can see when people are typing, on mobile! For someone who just wanted an app that stays connected, this is like winning a million on penny slots. Lots of customization, useful features. Absolutely A+. THANK YOU, CAPTAIN CRYPTO!

Reaction score
Holy. Crap.

Trillian is GORGEOUS. You can see when people are typing, on mobile! For someone who just wanted an app that stays connected, this is like winning a million on penny slots. Lots of customization, useful features. Absolutely A+. THANK YOU, CAPTAIN CRYPTO!

You're welcome, Vicki. Glad I could help.