Message only plans from VZW - Is this new?

HeroNova

Reaction score
I think this is new. I have never heard of anything like this from Verizon either. I know other carriers have had this for a while though so maybe with the increase of popularity of smartphones Verizon decided to jump on board with the messaging craze.

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I think this is new. I have never heard of anything like this from Verizon either. I know other carriers have had this for a while though so maybe with the increase of popularity of smartphones Verizon decided to jump on board with the messaging craze.

Yeah, I was looking on their site, as I'm learning more about Google Voice, I'm half tempted to split my line off to it's own plan from my families and use the unlimited talk and use the SMS from Google?

I'm not even sure if this is possible yet, lol. So much reading to do and I can't find the mega Google Voice thread I saw a few days back.

xjman349

Reaction score

Yeah, I was looking on their site, as I'm learning more about Google Voice, I'm half tempted to split my line off to it's own plan from my families and use the unlimited talk and use the SMS from Google?

I'm not even sure if this is possible yet, lol. So much reading to do and I can't find the mega Google Voice thread I saw a few days back.

No its not new. It has been around for quite some time. About 2 years ago the plan was allowed. It has come down in price, but it is not new.

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score

No its not new. It has been around for quite some time. About 2 years ago the plan was allowed. It has come down in price, but it is not new.

Gotcha. I guess I never had a reason to look for something like that.

I guess desire can cause you to learn something new

xjman349

Reaction score

lol so true. I actually don't see people with it as much as I thought I would.

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I've been a Verizon customer for almost six years.... If this has been out for two years, I was clueless. I think it comes down to knowing/not knowing that it's available. Who knows. lol. Not enough marketing, imo. This would be perfect for a teenage 'kid'.

But as I see it with the new pricing plans, why not pay maybe a little more and get text/talk? :)

xjman349

Reaction score

I've been a Verizon customer for almost six years.... If this has been out for two years, I was clueless. I think it comes down to knowing/not knowing that it's available. Who knows. lol. Not enough marketing, imo. This would be perfect for a teenage 'kid'.

But as I see it with the new pricing plans, why not pay maybe a little more and get text/talk? :)

Exactly. Most people just go to a family share plan and have their kid have minutes. The accounts i have seen though are teenagers.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'd need a VOIP solution in addition to GV to use a data-only plan .

drewshaver

Reaction score

fail. GV routes through the normal phone service. try nimbuzz of fring to use your skype account to make voip calls, or try pbxes + some other stuff that was too complicated for me to do

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was the pager clerk back in 1995 for the County of Los Angeles. We had these things called alphanumeric pagers.

This is essentially the same thing, only you turn your phone into a pager. Well it is more sophisticated back then you would dial an 800 number and speak to an operator who would transcribe your message. Still it kind of reminds me of them. Anybody else remember those?

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score

fail. GV routes through the normal phone service. try nimbuzz of fring to use your skype account to make voip calls, or try pbxes + some other stuff that was too complicated for me to do

Fail.

I said I stumbled across the message only services and I also mentioned that I was considering splitting to a voice only package for GV, not message only. I also said I didn't know if it was even possible.

Please read before you flame, and you won't have wasted your hard effort on looking foolish.

GenkiElite

Reaction score
If your just using a basic phone you can go pre-paid unlimited txt for 20 a month and .25 per min.