MegaPad 23-Inch Homemade Android Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;O8lHdgHQmvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8lHdgHQmvc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

The modder that created this device deserves an award, or at least a contract. A hacker named Martin Drashkov created a 23-Inch Homemade MegaPad Android Tablet using off-the shelf components for around $600 bucks. He indicated that his intention was to create a touch controlled device that would enable a whole different range of experiences, including more than one person sharing and using the device simultaneously. Here's a quote from his website regarding why he chose Android,
On top of this commodity hardware, Android was used because its openness and flexibility make it the only modern touch-based OS that is able to be adapted for uses beyond what's currently available in the market.
You can see it demonstrated in the video above. What do you guys think? Could this be the next step in the evolution of computers? Who wants one?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via PhanDroid and Martin.Drashkov.com

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Now all we need is Android that recognizes more than two inputs. You could have a large Gorilla Glass Android screen in the middle of the floor that several children could draw on, or so I could play Fruit Ninja with all five fingers and claw my way to a new high score. :)

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm mostly fascinated that he has found such a huge touchscreen for under $600. I wonder how that works.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
At that screen size can it really be called a "tablet"? Not exactly portable :rofl2: Might have some practical usage in the real world. Would be funny if it supported multi-user and they demonstrated that by playing Pong on it. :icon_ goofy: ]| °¦ |[

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Now all we need is Android that recognizes more than two inputs. You could have a large Gorilla Glass Android screen in the middle of the floor that several children could draw on, or so I could play Fruit Ninja with all five fingers and claw my way to a new high score. :)
Android supports more than 2 touches. Just pretty hard to do on a phone screen. I use all 10 fingers when I play Fruit Ninja on my Transformer.

This man needs to either sell these or write up a guide for noobs, like me.

jodyberry

Reaction score
At that screen size can it really be called a "tablet"?

Yea, I agree. Can't be called a tablet when it has a STAND attached!! He ported Android on WebOS or Win7 and used an AcerTouch. oh boy...

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Yea, I agree. Can't be called a tablet when it has a STAND attached!! He ported Android on WebOS or Win7 and used an AcerTouch. oh boy...
Oh please. It can be called whatever he wants. Just because it doesn't follow the definition of a tablet that you're used to doesn't mean it isn't a tablet.

Definition of a tablet: A slab or plaque, as of stone or ivory, with a surface that is intended for or bears an inscription. In today's world, they are made out of glass and conductive material. Just because it doesn't fit in the palm of your hand doesn't mean it isn't a tablet...

jodyberry

Reaction score
Oh please. It can be called whatever he wants. Just because it doesn't follow the definition of a tablet that you're used to doesn't mean it isn't a tablet.

I agree! You figure that "Tablet" has only had this new definition for a few years anyway!!