Maxx not working in Italy, am there now....

Seflmom

Reaction score
I am getting very frustrated with VZW. I have had this phone for a month now and it has never worked international. I have tried to use it in London and Italy. Is there a setting I am missing? Is it the Sim card? I have talked with VZW 7 times, and nothing is resolved.

I am in Italy now and if anyone can maybe help me troubleshoot, please help. I have read some post where people have had service, and some with trouble like me. I am hoping there is a simple "check box" I keep over looking.

Thanks

jaybogg

Reaction score
Do you have the international calling plan?

One member stated he purchased a local "week to week" plan while traveling internationally and it worked fine. I am sure that if you have been in contact w/ VZW, they have pointed out you must enable a GSM radio. The phone comes set default to "Global" which has GSM radio. Hope you can figure it out, as I too, would be frustrated.

AND, welcome to the forums, wish it was under better circumstances! :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
S

Seflmom

Reaction score
They say they have activated the international plan ie $5 calling plan. We are also in discussion about the fact they dropped my data plan when switching phone.

My Droid 2 worked brilliantly overseas have had international for 3 years now.

OP
S

Seflmom

Reaction score
One member stated he purchased a local "week to week" plan while traveling internationally and it worked fine. I am sure that if you have been in contact w/ VZW, they have pointed out you must enable a GSM radio. The phone comes set default to "Global" which has GSM radio. Hope you can figure it out, as I too, would be frustrated.

Yes, I have done the GSM setting and then turning the phone off then on.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Yes, I have done the GSM setting and then turning the phone off then on.

Sorry, but that is about the extent of ideas I have. Hopefully, someone with global experience will chime in.

You have probably already seen this, but it was all I found on VZW's Global Support page:

What steps do I take to make sure my 4G Global Ready Smartphone is ready to roam globally?

First, confirm your device is Global Ready by visiting Trip Planner on vzw.com/global and ensure you have the latest device software. You will receive a notification on your device once you have received the software update to enable global. This must be accepted, and completed, before your device can be used globally. Second, add a global data feature. This will ensure your device can make and receive voice calls, and use data, when traveling abroad. No changes to your 4G LTE SIM card are needed unless you are a 4G customer that activated before April 2012, are upgrading to a 4G Global Ready device for the first time, and have immediate global travel needs. If so, contact the Global Support Team to ensure your 4G LTE SIM has received the proper updates to support global roaming.

Once again, if you are calling the VZW Global Support number, they have probably already pointed this out. Keep us posted.

smokeyrd

Reaction score
Well, mom, I wish I had more ideas for you...If 611 still works id say give them a ring and remind them that the time spent fixing the problem is expected to not be on the bill...I had that happen to me overseas once...611 was disabled but i called the 800 number and reminded them to reverse charges. they gave me a bit of a hard time and said theyd have to forward the request. I told them I would be glad to wait the line while they did so but that the longer i was on hold, the greater the reversal would be...they caved and I smiled.

OP
S

Seflmom

Reaction score
Thank you both for trying. I am just hoping sometime soon to get this worked out. I would hate to have to go back to my driod 2, I really like my Maxx.