Math Question.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Math is definetly not my stronsuit but im trying... Im no calculus student. :)
Hopefully Abe is somewhere around here.
I really dont remember "radicals" and my new professor wont let us use a calculator.

20+1-√10^2 -(5+1)^2 (-2)

Im guessing but: 20+1-√100 -36(-2)
------------------ 64(-2)
---------------- 20+1-√128
Now what? -128+20 ?

benner

Reaction score
Math is definetly not my stronsuit but im trying... Im no calculus student. :)
Hopefully Abe is somewhere around here.
I really dont remember "radicals" and my new professor wont let us use a calculator.

20+1-√10^2 -(5+1)^2 (-2)

Im guessing but: 20+1-√100 -36(-2)
------------------ 64(-2)
---------------- 20+1-√128
Now what? -128+20 ?

Been a couple years since any math classes in college but working order of operations it should work out fairly easily (If I'm remembering everything correctly) Did the problem twice first time showing steps then pretty much in my head and got the same answer of 83 both times.

And like I said it's been a couple years so let me know if you spot any mistakes.

Sorry for the sloppy chicken scratches.

math.jpg

E Mad

Reaction score
EDIT: benner beat me to the post, but at least I can confirm his answer (I'm in an Algebra 2 class right now).
Here's the answer: 83.

Steps:
20+1-√10^2 -(5+1)^2 (-2)
21 - 10 - 6^2 * (-2)
11 - 36 *(-2)
11 + 72

The big thing you missed is cancelling out the SQRT and ^2 to get 10. And your math is a little funky... Definitely should meet with your teacher...

Hope I helped! :)

benner

Reaction score
Yep Honestly as generic as it sounds and elementary Order of Operations makes life so much easier. It's very easy to over complicate a problem like that if you try looking at it as a whole. I usually start by breaking the problem down into 2 seperate sides. You can slightly see the division I put after the square root 10^2. basically alows you to focus on one section at a time much easier.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you Benner. This really helps. I see what i did wrong, i was treating the whole thing as a radical on the right....then turned very confused when the meshed math problem didnt work. :icon_eek: And yes E-Mad i could talk to my teacher, but me and 150 students are kind of a firewall. Which is very annoying. College sucks compared to what i used to have in HS...

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep Honestly as generic as it sounds and elementary Order of Operations makes life so much easier. It's very easy to over complicate a problem like that if you try looking at it as a whole. I usually start by breaking the problem down into 2 seperate sides. You can slightly see the division I put after the square root 10^2. basically alows you to focus on one section at a time much easier.
It did make it easier, Kind of dumbed it up and made it simple. :icon_ banana: Order of Ops is usually automatic, but apparently not after the break lol.

aceofspades

Reaction score
no offense, but I never understood why math had to be that damn complicated. I guess to confuse people.

UNC

Reaction score
no offense, but I never understood why math had to be that damn complicated. I guess to confuse people.

I never knew it was that complicated. I see the answers and can never work out why.

My HS teachers and college prof always hated me for it.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

aceofspades

Reaction score
As long as it only involves add/subtract/multiply/divide, it isn't hard. Everything else is useless and takes much longer.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as it only involves add/subtract/multiply/divide, it isn't hard. Everything else is useless and takes much longer.

what about exponents? those r easy. except for when you get into the negative exponents...then its alot of tiny stuff to remember.

aceofspades

Reaction score

what about exponents? those r easy. except for when you get into the negative exponents...then its alot of tiny stuff to remember.

That's true. Hell, fractions used to be easy for me. I actually did very well in school, but it pissed others off because I learned so fast. I guess the negative impact of others rubbed off. lol

Then again 6 raised to the 4th power is 24. right?