Marketplace Issue/Bug

Machines

Reaction score
After factory resetting my Eris today (running 2.1), I was hit with the Marketplace bug (outlined in great detail here: Missing Applications On Marketplace (HTC Desire) - Android Market Help).

How many others here are having the issue? From the looks of that thread, it's been going on with other HTC devices for quite some time (3 months!). Question I would have is how long of a wait do you all feel is acceptable for Google to get this issue sorted out? What sort of recourse do we have as consumers here? I'm not knocking Android or the Eris, but right now it does not work as advertised. I do not have full access to the wide open Google Marketplace. Apps I was using before 2.1 and a reset no longer even appear in the Marketplace.

I went to the Verizon store this evening and chatted with a rep who was just as surprised as I was. We tested every 2.1 HTC device (including the Incredible) and the apps in question (HTC and Slidescreen in this case) appeared on NONE of them when searched for in the Marketplace. All Motorola devices were fine.

A read through of the thread linked above says HTC puts this on Google to update some sort of ROM fingerprint. With no way to truly contact any type of customer service in regards to Google, what's the best plan to get something done?

The apps I'm having issues with were both free (at least the two I've tried to find), but apparently it happens with paid apps as well - quite a few of them too.

Does this issue happen with the rooted versions of 2.1 or only the OTA update? Again, how many here have had the issue.

My apologies for the long post, but this issue is really not sitting well with me. Handcent and Slidescreen were two apps I used daily and now don't even show up. Luckily, both were free, otherwise I'd be even more upset.

namu1107

Reaction score
It's an android thing. The market, as a WHOLE, is having problems. On a lighter note, if you search out the developers of the apps, they should be able to give you a link to download the app (not from the market). Then use Astro File Manager to install it. That is how I am getting all my updates for LauncherPro Beta

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's an android thing. The market, as a WHOLE, is having problems. On a lighter note, if you search out the developers of the apps, they should be able to give you a link to download the app (not from the market). Then use Astro File Manager to install it. That is how I am getting all my updates for LauncherPro Beta

Excellent tip!

And yes, the Market is not a carrier/handset specific issue.

OP
M

Machines

Reaction score

Excellent tip!

And yes, the Market is not a carrier/handset specific issue.

I'll give the file manager route a try. As for carrier/handset specifics, it seems to be happening to all HTC devices. I went to the Verizon store last night to enlighten the staff on the issue. We checked every single HTC device, including the Incredible, and none of them could find any of the apps we couldn't find on my Eris. All Motorola devices worked just fine. According the to thread in my OP, some HTC devices have been having the issue since March. Certainly hope that's not the case here.

UPDATE: Was lucky that Astro was findable in the Marketplace. Got the roundabout Handcent install to work. Thanks for the tip, namu!

Last edited: