Market download problem

Judypupek

Reaction score
Is anyone else having a problem getting their phone to download things from the market? This is the second time I've had this problem. The last time Verizon technical support had me do a factory wipe to get it to start working again. I really don't want to do this again. Help?!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mine wasn't downloading things properly a couple of days ago. I went into Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Market and selected Clear data and it straightened things out for me.

OP
Judypupek

Judypupek

Reaction score
Thanks.!! I'm going to try that.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Thanks.!! I'm going to try that.

I had problems of a similar although not precisely the same nature. In my case while I could download stuff, notification of updates etc. was non-functional. The data wipe is a good idea, but I had a very lengthy back-and-forth with android market support (yes there IS market support) and eventually it cleared the trouble up without a wipe. I think (from what I've seen here and there) that these other procedures may help you (or someone else) if simply clearing data doesn't quite do it all for you. Clearing data was also a recommended step from them. However here are some other things (from them). While I'm not sure how well they work, Market is behaving itself much better now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++ first set of steps....
First try:

do have a few other troubleshooting steps that you can do before you
perform a factory data reset, I have listed them below:

- Clear your Market cache

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market > Clear
Market Cache

- Uninstall Market updates

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market > Uninstall
Market Update

- Clear Talk Data

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Talk > Clear Data

- Hard Battery Pull (Pull the battery out of your device while it is
powered on).

++++++++++++++++++++++ second set of steps to try if first fails to clear it all up (ignore the uninstalling apps mention... I did not need to do that... it was clear that there was some kind of language barrier in the back and forth):

To resolve this issues, I recommend temporarily
uninstalling Market updates and then try to uninstall your apps (which you
want to remove from your device). To do so, please follow these steps:

Android 1.6-2.1:

1) Go to "Home" > "Menu" > "Settings" > "Applications" > "Manage
applications"
2) Press "Menu," then touch "Filter'" > "All"
3) Scroll down and select the Market app
4) Touch "Uninstall updates"

Android 2.2 or higher:

1) Go to "Home" > "Menu" > "Settings" > "Applications" > "Manage
applications"
2) Touch the "All" tab
3) Scroll down and select the Market app
4) Touch "Uninstall updates"

This will revert Android Market to the original version that came with
your device. Android Market should automatically self-update to the
current version within a few days.

It took nearly a week for my market to update itself...

++++++++++++++++++++++ finally....

Note this just recommends clearing data out of "download manager".

Also, have you tried clearing data from 'Download Manager'? If not, please
follow these directions:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Download Manager >
Clear data.

In my case this email back and forth encompassed far more than three procedures and it took on average three days for them to reply to each of my responses... and I did the procedures more than once... However it seems that my market is now behaving itself and I didn't have to do a reset.

Worse comes to worse, if you do wipe, you can visit market.android.com. Log in with your google creds and select the "my libraries" link and literally push all of them down to your phone from there. Unf. any data associated would be lost unless it's on the SD card. In my case, for whatever reason, every app I've downloaded or updated stayed there in the "my library" area even when I deleted it from the phone... it still said "installed", but when you click on the "installed" button, it would pull up a popup with the "install" button enabled which would normally be disabled if it WERE installed. I've heard that only paid apps are supposed to persist on market when you uninstall however that wasn't the case for me and you'd want to verify that.... and also so you know, it takes up to several hours for the phone and market website to sync up after you made a change on the phone side.

OP
Judypupek

Judypupek

Reaction score
Dr. Dedroid, your suggestions worked. Thank you so much!!

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Dr. Dedroid, your suggestions worked. Thank you so much!!

By the way did you have to go thru all of these processes or did just one of them work for you? I.e. if you did only one, which one actually worked?