Mail alerts

My3buicks

Reaction score
When I get an email my Droid will continually "remind" me that there is mail if I don't look when it first rings - I assume each time it does an email check it re-rings that there is mail. So all night long it rings. How can I disable the "reminder"

griz8791

Reaction score
+1

It "reminds" me there is mail that I haven't read yet. The horror -- what kind of reprobate ignores incoming e-mail?:)

So then I go into the list of e-mails and batch-check them all as "read," even if I haven't actually looked at them yet. But then 5 minutes later when it goes online to do its next scheduled check, it unmarks those messages, declares them all "unread," and reminds me again.

Clearly the people who wrote the software do not believe I should be able to decide for myself whether to put off reading any of my e-mail messages.

evil mechanic

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten this figured out yet? Mine does the same thing and its annoying to hear i have new mail every 5 mins when i really dont.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for how to set this but all I can say to this point is that my Droid doesn't do what you're describing. I get a notification when I get new mail but that's the last one I get so there must be a way to turn it on/off.

I know you can turn email notifications off altogether but not how to customize the reminder so it does/doesn't repeat.

griz8791

Reaction score
Donkey Hodie, are your accounts Exchange accounts or POP3 accounts?

It's encouraging to see that somebody has it working right. I want to get one audible notification and one visual notification in the task bar when they COME IN. I do not want it bugging the snot out of me just because I haven't read them yet. When I choose to read them is MY BUSINESS, not the developers'.

I'm working today in a different city 170 miles from home. For the first 40 miles the new e-mail notification was interrupting MP3 play every minute. I finally pulled off and set the new e-mail notification to "silent." But I only regard that as a temporary workaround.

My notification setting says "notify in status bar when email arrives." That is exactly what I want it to do; no more, no less. Mine is scheduled to send/receive every 5 minutes, and I know I was getting that notification more often than every time it did a send/receive. Plus, if the send/receive doesn't produce any NEW emails that it hasn't already downloaded, I do not want to be prompted 5000 times about the emails that are already there.

Last edited:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
The only account I have set up on my phone is gmail. I have mine scheduled to send/receive every 5 minutes also and I only get a notice when the message first arrives, not every 5 minutes after.

As I said before, it must be either configurable on the phone or some interaction between gmail on the phone and exchange. Any other exchange users getting this behavior?

kmcscott

Reaction score
My motorola DROID is driving me crazy! I have charter email set up and when I get ONE new email it will sound my notification 3-7 times! And then sometimes it sounds a notification (and flashes the green light) when I do NOT have a new email! Help!

sfinchler

Reaction score
I'm definitely having the same problem with notifications and it's driving me crazy too. In addition to the things mentioned here (getting reminded of mail I already received, batch marking emails as read only to have them reset to unread and get another notification), I'm also not getting all the notifications I SHOULD get. I always turn off the screen to save battery. Today I took the battery off my clip and turned it on and THEN I got the notification that an email had come in before. If I hadn't turned the screen on I wouldn't have known about it. I can't swear to it but I think I've had wacky notifications with my POP3, Exchange, and messaging.

I've even tried some 3rd parth email apps but none of them is great either.