Low On Space

flyboy472

Reaction score
Received a notification today: "Low on space - Phone storage space is getting low."

Just received phone yesterday, installed a few apps including RepliGo PDF reader. When I clicked the notification, it brought up the "Manage Applications" screen with RepliGo listed at the top, 234mb! Clicking on the application shows that the app itself is only taking up 2.67 mb, but next to data it shows 232 mb. The "Clear Cache" button is grayed out. I have about 10 large PDF files stored on the SD card, each one is about 80-100 mb in size. I haven't viewed them all yet but have opened a few. Is RepliGo keeping copies of these files cached in the phone's internal memory? If so, why isn't it being cleared?

I sent a support email to RepliGo, waiting on a response. Wanted to check here as well to see if anyone's seen an issue like this yet. Because of this issue I'm unable to install any more apps, and I'm starting to get application errors (just got one from the calendar).

These are the apps I've installed since purchasing the phone: RepliGo, Dolphin, chompSMS, Astro, The Weather Channel, My Verizon, Pandora, Mobile Banking, Google Sky Map, and gTasks.

Other than this issue, the phone is amazing...especially in comparison to the LG Dare that preceeded it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Received a notification today: "Low on space - Phone storage space is getting low."

Just received phone yesterday, installed a few apps including RepliGo PDF reader. When I clicked the notification, it brought up the "Manage Applications" screen with RepliGo listed at the top, 234mb! Clicking on the application shows that the app itself is only taking up 2.67 mb, but next to data it shows 232 mb. The "Clear Cache" button is grayed out. I have about 10 large PDF files stored on the SD card, each one is about 80-100 mb in size. I haven't viewed them all yet but have opened a few. Is RepliGo keeping copies of these files cached in the phone's internal memory? If so, why isn't it being cleared?

I sent a support email to RepliGo, waiting on a response. Wanted to check here as well to see if anyone's seen an issue like this yet. Because of this issue I'm unable to install any more apps, and I'm starting to get application errors (just got one from the calendar).

These are the apps I've installed since purchasing the phone: RepliGo, Dolphin, chompSMS, Astro, The Weather Channel, My Verizon, Pandora, Mobile Banking, Google Sky Map, and gTasks.

Other than this issue, the phone is amazing...especially in comparison to the LG Dare that preceeded it.

Have you tried simply resetting the phone? If you have and you're still having an issue then go to settings/applications/Manage Applications/Menu button/filter/running. If it's in that menu of running applications force quit.

OP
flyboy472

flyboy472

Reaction score
By resetting do you mean turning the phone off, then back on again? I've tried that, no change. It doesn't show in the list of running apps, just shows in the list of all apps. I think I just need to uninstall/reinstall but I'm afraid the same problem will reoccur. I really like the app, it works very well. Hopefully Cerience will return my email considering it's a paid app.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
By resetting do you mean turning the phone off, then back on again? I've tried that, no change. It doesn't show in the list of running apps, just shows in the list of all apps. I think I just need to uninstall/reinstall but I'm afraid the same problem will reoccur. I really like the app, it works very well. Hopefully Cerience will return my email considering it's a paid app.

I don't know what to tell you then. You have 24 hours from the time you purchase an app to return it so if you're still in your 24 hour period return the app. If they get back to you with a reasonable explanation then buy it again if you want.

I never heard of the app so my experience is limited. Maybe somebody else who has tried it will read your post and be able to help you more. But based on the apps you have listed you really shouldn't be out of space.

cuskit

Reaction score
To reset your phone you need to do more than just turn it on & off. Either soft reboot (shift/alternate/delete) or remove the battery for about one minute. Try that and see if it helps.

Be sure to get back to us with the results. ;) cuskit

OP
flyboy472

flyboy472

Reaction score
Ended up uninstalling it which instantly resolved the problem. Going to wait to hear back from the company, if they get back to me at all. Although the Droid has native support for PDFs, it doesn't include the "bookmarks" feature which allows you to easily navigate through a large PDF. RepliGo handled this nicely. I may end up reinstalling it tomorrow to see if it was just a fluke. Good to know about the soft reset. Does removing the battery perform the same soft reset as shift+alt+del?

cuskit

Reaction score
Ended up uninstalling it which instantly resolved the problem. Going to wait to hear back from the company, if they get back to me at all. Although the Droid has native support for PDFs, it doesn't include the "bookmarks" feature which allows you to easily navigate through a large PDF. RepliGo handled this nicely. I may end up reinstalling it tomorrow to see if it was just a fluke. Good to know about the soft reset. Does removing the battery perform the same soft reset as shift+alt+del?

I believe the battery removal is called a "hard" reset and does cure the most stubborn of problems. The soft reset generally takes care of most issues though.

Have you tried Documents to Go? I use this for all my PDF files, absolutely no issues with memory. It is not free though - $9.99 now (down from $29.99 time back). It handles all Excel and Word documents flawlessly on the Droid in addition to being able to navigate through your pdf's. :) cuskit

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I believe the battery removal is called a "hard" reset and does cure the most stubborn of problems. The soft reset generally takes care of most issues though.

Have you tried Documents to Go? I use this for all my PDF files, absolutely no issues with memory. It is not free though - $9.99 now (down from $29.99 time back). It handles all Excel and Word documents flawlessly on the Droid in addition to being able to navigate through your pdf's. :) cuskit

Just so you understand, a hard reset involves more then a battery pull.

First, when you do a battery pull the purpose is to allow the capacitors to discharge. Usually 30 seconds to a minute is fine.

A hard reset however involves more:

1. Turn the Droid off. If it won’t turn off, take the battery out then place it back in.

2. Open the keyboard and press the X key while pressing and holding Power. The device will power on. Keep holding the buttons down until a yellow triangle appers.

3. Press the Camera and Volume Up buttons at the same time to get to the menu. (I had to press them several times).

4. Use the direction pad to the right of the keyboard to select the Format option.

And basically when I say reset/reboot, yes, it simply means turning it on and off.

cuskit

Reaction score

Just so you understand, a hard reset involves more then a battery pull.

First, when you do a battery pull the purpose is to allow the capacitors to discharge. Usually 30 seconds to a minute is fine.

A hard reset however involves more:

1. Turn the Droid off. If it won’t turn off, take the battery out then place it back in.

2. Open the keyboard and press the X key while pressing and holding Power. The device will power on. Keep holding the buttons down until a yellow triangle appers.

3. Press the Camera and Volume Up buttons at the same time to get to the menu. (I had to press them several times).

4. Use the direction pad to the right of the keyboard to select the Format option.

And basically when I say reset/reboot, yes, it simply means turning it on and off.

Just a cautionary note here: just pulling the battery for about a minute and reinstalling WILL usually correct many issues with your phone. However, using the Camera and Volume Up buttons procedure outlined above will put your phone back to the condition as when you bought it - all your data, contacts, etc will be gone (with the exception of anything stored on your SD Card). This should ONLY be done in extreme cases and AFTER you have performed backups of all important data. :) cuskit

Last edited:
OP
flyboy472

flyboy472

Reaction score
Update: heard back from "Cerience", the company/developer for Repligo. Response:
The application needs to transfer the document from the SD card and load it into resident memory prior to rendering it on the screen. This is required by the phone's OS and not a limitation of the application itself.

That's kind of a "well duh" statement to me. The problem is that under certain circumstances the document(s) seemed to stay in resident memory and there was no way to clear it/them.

Decided to live dangerously and reinstalled it yesterday. After playing around with it some more, the problem seems to only occur when I open a PDF using Astro (and selecting the option to open with RepliGo). However, if I open Repligo and use it's "Open File" function, it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Sent this info to Cerience, I'll let you guys know if I hear anything back from them.

BTW: Tried a CTRL+ALT+DEL and it didn't fix the issue. As of right now the only way I know for sure to fix the issue is uninstall (and then reinstall if I so desire). I'm ok with just opening PDFs directly through Repligo instead of indirectly through Astro but I do feel that this is a bug and I hope Cerience addresses it as such.

Donnie_Lugnut

Reaction score
I found the solution on another forum and it works.

Go to settings and select "Applications"
In the "Unknown Sources" section, turn on the ability to "Allow installation of non-Market applications"
Exit your settings and open the Internet browser.
Enter "dl3.htc.com/misc/inc8049.apk", this will download a hotfix.
If it didn't start the install automatically, go to your download folder and Open the file "inc8049".
Allow it to install.

Problem Fixed. :icon_ banana: