Lost Root

dtexpress45

Reaction score
I rooted following the guide in this forum about a month ago. All worked great until last night when the market update apps including super user. It now appears I've lost root and my ability to wirelessly tether.

Help!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
when the market update apps including super user.

I assume by this you mean you got the 2.3.4 update. If so you are (hopefully) only temporarily out of luck. 2.3.4 hasn't been "cracked" yet.
Hopefully it will be soon.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try manually booting into Hboot and selecting recovery: Hold power and volume down button. While in Hboot select recovery. IF you get into clockwork recovery try to restore a backup.

8on3s

Reaction score
Had an issue similar to that, Su updated to 3.0, and I was getting fc's all around my root apps. There was a flashable Su binary I was able to use. When I get back to my computer I can give you a link if you need it.

pzeronoir

Reaction score
Lost Root After SU Update

Had an issue similar to that, Su updated to 3.0, and I was getting fc's all around my root apps. There was a flashable Su binary I was able to use. When I get back to my computer I can give you a link if you need it.

Same problem here - SU update killed root. I've tried installing an older version (2.3.6), but that failed, as did restoring from CWM. Thoughts?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a method on XDA to re-root 2.3.4, but you don't end up with a rooted 2.3.4 - it simply reverts you to 2.3.3 with .97 hboot, so you can do what you want from there. It's not for the android "newbie" though...

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Actually it really isn't that hard to do. However that isn't what the op is talking about. When they updated superuser they started getting fc issues with their rooted programs. I would attempt to uninstall the update and see if that corrects the issues. Then contact the developer about the problems you had. Good luck!

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
I still have 2.3.3 and lost root also. What to do?

Sent to today from yesterday using tomorrow's technology.

pzeronoir

Reaction score
Here rooty, rooty, rooty...

Exactly. I've avoided the OTA updates to GB 2.3.4. It was the SU update that killed root.

Unfortunately, I've tried dumping the update without success, as well as installing an older version of SU, and also flashing a recovery. All failed.

The SU developer says there have been a slew of problems along these lines, but he hasn't had the time to release an updated SU.

If anyone has found a fix for the dinc2, please post.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
have you tried flashing a zip file through clockwork to get root? if you haven't try this one: Dropbox - su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip - Simplify your life

edit: for what it's worth, sometimes in cwr, it takes 3 or 4 tries before it flashes correctly... no idea why, but in case you run into an error

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys could also try flashing a rom that has super user built in like TSM GB. Don't update superuser from the market.

Sent from my Incredible 2

pzeronoir

Reaction score
have you tried flashing a zip file through clockwork to get root? if you haven't try this one: Dropbox - su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip - Simplify your life

edit: for what it's worth, sometimes in cwr, it takes 3 or 4 tries before it flashes correctly... no idea why, but in case you run into an error

Thanks, jnt.

Unfortunately, clockwork would not get me there, apparently b/c of the SU problem. But I restarted and loaded the zip the long way. I think I've got root back, but I'm unsure it will last. I previously loaded an older SU zip (another 2.3.6.3), and I got root back but then lost it somehow. Anyway, root seems to be back.

One weird observation: After installing the zip I restarted and went straight to SU. It FC'd. Other apps, however, still got root access and worked. I then went back to SU, and now it opens just fine.

So I'm now running SU 2.3.6.3, as well as binary 2.3.2-efgh. I assume I need to avoid updating not just SU but also the binary, right?

Thanks again!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's good, the long way is what I was referring to.

I'm still not sure why you lost root access, but yes, it might be best to not update.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

jet

Reaction score
I go into Titanium Backup last night and get a message that it was unable to acquire root. Odd, I've been rooted for a few months now. Granted, I don't need it much. So I look in Superuser's log and it shows Titanium Backup as Allowed. I try BusyBox and it is Denied, Undelete is Denied, Root Uninstaller is Allowed, CPU Master is Allowed. CPU Master says it is denied Root but allowed Superuser. I do not get a prompt to grant permission in any of the apps, even though this is that setting in Superuser. I'm not sure what to do at this point. With ICS due out soon (hopefully) I may just wait.