Confused

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
Okay so I don't know what to do. I dnt know if I should take the update 2.3.3 or wait for rooting . I'm lost I'm running out of patience for the root to b available for dinc2 and now that the update is coming I dnt kno Wat to do. Anyone hav suggestions?? Wat do I do? Wait for root or take the gingerbread update ota version ....???

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Okay so I don't know what to do. I dnt know if I should take the update 2.3.3 or wait for rooting . I'm lost I'm running out of patience for the root to b available for dinc2 and now that the update is coming I dnt kno Wat to do. Anyone hav suggestions?? Wat do I do? Wait for root or take the gingerbread update ota version ....???

Root is available. It came out last night. Go ahead and root because they have already released a GB ROM based off of the ota upcoming:

[AlphaRevX] Public Beta 2 for dInc2 - xda-developers

darinr80

Reaction score
+1 for rooting. You'll get GB eventually but you will want full control over your phone. I just rooted and uninstalled all the Verizon bloatware.

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I tried to root it n it won't work so I gave up I was so close but it couldn't happen

darinr80

Reaction score
Yeah I had to do it from Linux to get S-Off. Then I had to install the recovery, then I could actually install the update.zip and root it. Now I'm in root bliss. :)

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I want to root so bad but I can't figure it out I followed the steps but it didn't work

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I didnt do anything I downloaded HTC sync then got the Linux x then I put my phone info in n got the key number but Wen I would click on the Linux file I downloaded it wouldn't open. It would give me the choice to open or save. I had already saved it so I tried opening it n it would so anything

rudyutz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a video Tutorial, or can anyone make one. Or make detailed instructions from step one. Any help appreciated.

darinr80

Reaction score
Here is everything I did:

AlphaRev X - Make it your phone[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For those who want to use Ubuntu (it's not that difficult once you get used to it):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Download Ubuntu from the Ubuntu site.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Burn image onto CD/DVD (follow instructions provided at the site. If you have Windows 7, you can simply use the Windows Disk Image Burner program).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Reboot computer. Allow Bootup popup menu (usually F8?).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Select DVD/CD-drive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Wait a bit for things to load. Choose "Try" aka Live CD Mode, no need to install, unless you want Ubuntu.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Connect phone. Download AlphaRevx for Linux. Keep that browser window open.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Extract the downloaded file and make sure it's at the root directory (in Ubuntu, that's Ubuntu/Ubuntu, if I recall correctly).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Search for the Terminal (Windows key pops up the search, I think; otherwise, it's the icon on the top left corner of your screen), run Terminal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. Type in "sudo ./alpharevx".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. It'll provide a key. Go back to the browser window where you downloaded Alpharevx - there's a form to fill out. Type in the key. It'll generate a second key. Type that key into the Terminal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. Make sure it says that everything is successful. It'll ask if you want to flash Clockwork. Type in "Y".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. Once it shows success, reboot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. Go to this page and download the superuser file "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" under "To Root". Follow those instructions shown.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14. You're done.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To install Clockworkmod after AlpharevX[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Get fastboot and adb tool for windows[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Get Fastboot and adb for linux[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Obtain clockworkmod recovery:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]HTC Desire Recovery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]HTC Desire CDMA recovery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]HTC Liberty Recovery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]HTC Wildfire Recovery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]HTC Incredible S (VIVO) recovery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]HTC Incredible 2 (VIVOW) recovery[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Remove[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Extract recovery.img from the archive to the same directory/folder/map as fastboot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Put the phone is Fastboot USB mode (HINT: Android is not up and running - access it from your hboot screen - see how below)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]fastboot flash recovery recovery_name.img <<< from a command line (use root for Linux- sudo ./fastboot yadda)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clockworkmod includes a backup utility (also known as nandroid backups).

It's a good idea to do backups before installing new roms or modifying a current one.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To do backups:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Start clockworkmod recovery (instructions below)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Select backup and restore[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Select backup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To restore a backup:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Start clockworkmod recovery (instructions below)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Select backup and restore[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Select backup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To root:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Copy[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to your sdcard root[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Start clockworkmod recovery (instructions below)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Select "install zip from sdcard"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then select "Choose zip from sdcard"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then select "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then select "Yes - install su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" to confirm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then go back[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Then reboot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You're rooted![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How to start Clockworkmod:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Unplug USB[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Turn the device off[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hold volume down button (HOLD IT) and press power[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hboot will start. Navigate to recovery with the vol down button. Press power to select and enter recovery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How to start Fastboot USB mode:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Unplug USB[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Turn the device off[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hold volume down button (HOLD IT) and press power[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hboot will start.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wait for sdcard scan to complete.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Plug in USB cord connected to the computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Press power ONCE and Fastboot USB mode starts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Flashing custom roms is much like flashing the root files above. Follow the flashing instructions for the custom ROM you select if you choose to do so. NOTE: You do NOT need to root to flash a custom, rooted ROM.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Download the fastboot utility linked in post #1 for your OS.
If you are using Windows (boo) download and install the HTC Android USB Driver for Microsoft PC from the bottom of this page.
Run the command as appropriate for your OS;
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (windows)
./fastboot-mac recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (mac x86)
./fastboot recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img (linux)

[Info] After AlpharevX: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers

rudyutz

Reaction score
Here is everything I did:

AlphaRev X - Make it your phone

[FONT=&quot]For those who want to use Ubuntu (it's not that difficult once you get used to it):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Download Ubuntu from the Ubuntu site.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Burn image onto CD/DVD (follow instructions provided at the site. If you have Windows 7, you can simply use the Windows Disk Image Burner program).[/FONT]

By CD/DVD are you talking abput the kind like the ones you burn music too. Like a CD-R?

rudyutz

Reaction score
I also want to make sure i dont end up with linux. So i click F8 and then select dvd cd drive then click try

darinr80

Reaction score
no problem and it would take me about 10-15 minutes now that I've done it-the longest part is booting from the Linux CD and then typing at the prompt to load recovery