Lollipop battery life down to 15% with 1hr16min screen on time.

dan.dar

Reaction score
No games either. Battery monitor says Cell Standby used 9%, Android OS used 9% and Screen used 8%. Before lollipop if I was at work with this type of usage I'd be at around 65% right now. Damn, I shouldn't have upgraded it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Lollipop is considered a major OS update and it's common practice to do a factory reset after installing the update. This ensures that the phone will run smoothly on a clean slate.

There are of course other factors as well; rogue apps, signal quality, background sync, etc. Give those a look-over before you decide to try and factory reset. To me it sounds like a rogue app because of the significant difference.

Gsam is a very helpful battery monitoring app that breaks down what percent that apps are using. You can install that and it should get you started in the right direction to remedy your now bad battery life.

R

RETG

I had an LG G3, did TWO resets when lollipop installed and battery live dropped considerably. My Droid was received yesterday, and before doing anything, other than signing in, it loaded lollipop. I have no experience with the turbo before lollipop, but the phone has dropped to 49% today in about 12 hours. And for the majority of that time it was sitting on a table next to me on Wifi.
Half dozen emails, one text, and strong signals for wifi and voice.
As much as my LG had battery life; it was better than the turbo!
If this is normal for a turbo, I might have to return it.
Want something I don't have to plug in during the day when not even used.
And lollipop is known on some devices to have a battery usage problem.

But I'll give GSAM a try....

Last edited by a moderator:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I didn't do a fdr and no complaint on battery life
Just an fyi: It's not always battery life that is affected and problems don't always show up right away after taking the update. They can take days or even a couple of weeks to rear their ugly head.
As dezy mentioned, it's been standard practice for years to do an FDR simply to start with a clean slate after such a major update.

Of course if you're happy with it as is, that's all that matters. Just throwing it out there.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Ive noticed that my Battery life has degraded over time but i guess it can be the Quick Charger and it running so hot. Used to get a Solid 40hrs up to 49Hrs on normal use, now i can get about 28hrs after about 8 months

Last edited:
R

RETG

This AM...
Unplugged from charger at 5:30. Set on table, till 6:30 and it had dropped to 95% No calls, no emails, no texts. Per GSAM, the largest draws were due to WiFi and signal. Not sure why those two since it is about ten feet from the router and voice signal is very strong in this area.
Spent twenty minutes with Verizon and made some changes. Was asked to hold power button in till boots up, then put on charger, and leave on charger for 30 minutes after fully charged. Did that, and now after 1-hour, it has dropped to 99% and that includes having two calls (unanswered) and one email notification.
Maybe it was settings. Time will tell....

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I haven't noticed a Change in Battery Life since Upgrade for better or worse.
Screenshot_2015-07-03-13-33-16_zps5emp4xx6.png

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Most of you are getting better battery life then I've ever gotten, LP or KK. 12 hours at 49%? I would kill for that. :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Most of you are getting better battery life then I've ever gotten, LP or KK. 12 hours at 49%? I would kill for that. :D
I'm in the same camp as you but I've never gotten great battery life with any phone. It's most likely in my case due to several things.

First, 4G signal both at home and at work. Poor signal will suck the life out of a battery as the towers ping the phone and the phone tries to reach the tower over and over just to maintain a good connection.

Second, signal level is directly proportional to transmission speed, and then speed of communication is directly proportional to power consumption. It takes essentially the same transmission power (milliwatts of transmission power), to send data slower (smaller packets), as it does to send faster, but of course it will take less time at faster speeds and so will ultimately use less power to send the same amount of data with a stronger signal.

Third, I tend to have a lot of things running such as social networking, several email accounts from different providers and a myriad of other tools, such as Android Wear, AppLocker, App Redirect, Chrome to Phone, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Fit, Google Drive (for pic syncing), Google Hangouts, GrooVe IP Lite (VoIP), Instagram, KIK, Meetup, Yahoo Messenger, Omni Swipe, Skype, Snapchat, Tapatalk, TextFree, Tumbler, WhatsApp, Yolify, and YouMail. Most people don't run so much stuff and believe me, I use them.

Forth and certainly high on the list of power sucking is the screen on time (SOT). Right now I'm at 67% with SOT of 1:17, using 24% of power consumed so far. Android system is a close second at 22%, Email at 13%and Google Play Services at 12%...

5c040292823bedc6a268c1c7510e3a36.jpg

You'll see below how power consumption is related to signal strength as well as how system awake time is the second biggest contributor to battery consumption.

672dabe5ab32a1321b153cf4d3b1fc34.jpg

So it's a specific user's profile that I believe has the greatest overall impact to battery consumption.

D._Manley

Reaction score
My power consumption is slightly better with 5.1. Based on essentially the same moderately heavy usage, the best I can tell it's ~25% less. Battery drop was approximately 4% per hour and is now closer to 3%.

JDH

Reaction score
My battery life seems improved, but, it is still early in the cycle.