ListPro (Custom Lists) type application?

pwjone1

Reaction score
I have a Droid, and am in the process of moving over form a Windows Mobile phone, mostly I've found Droid Apps equivalent to what I had, but I have not found one yet to replace Listpro. Here's the URL:

Shopping lists, to do lists, grocery lists and checklists for Pocket PC, Palm and Smartphone - easily done with ListPro.

There seem to be various Apps that do lists, but ListPro has some functions I have yet to find on Android:

• Can Create Folders of Lists to organize them, multi-level
  • Can tailor the field definitions for each iitem/list (with a lot of example lists built in as templates)
  • Can easily control what's in a view (filters the checked off ones, or not, under user control)
  • Can sort items, fields, etc.

It also comes with Reference lists, built in, some examples:

• Area Codes
  • Metric Conversions
  • Phone Numbers
  • Airport codes
  • Airline Phone Numbers
  • etc.

Anyone know of anything Android that has this kind of functionality? The first three I list (Folders, Custom fields for Items, View control (hidden when checked, that sort of thing), are the most important.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
LiveList

LiveList

In the search for something with the functions similar to ListPro, but for the Droid, I am trying an App called LiveList. This is a preliminary review.

Pros:

• Relatively easy to Use
  • Does support one level of folders (multiple lists)

Cons:

• Does just one level of Folders for Lists (ListPro does multiple)
  • No menu function to enable display of checked/unchecked items
  • List entries are very simplistic, just one text entry field, no way to edit or add fields or use a template, etc.
  • Managed to get it to hang some of the time, when rotating the phone to use the keyboard to enter item data
  • Managed also to see one instance where an entry in a list was dropped. Not sure why, not repeatable
  • Doesn't seem to be a way to cause it sort entries on the list, or folders
  • Long entries tend to wrap and take up a lot of screen space

So I guess my net would be that LiveList is good for simple, one level, one field (text) type lists, but on the Droid / Android 2.0, has some intermittent bugs here and there, and functionally is nowhere as rich as ListPro.

My search continues...

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
Super List

Super List

Continuing the search for a Droid App similar to or to replace ListPro, I am also playing with Super List

Pros:

• Looks pretty good on the screen
  • Able to sort lists, a definite plus
  • Has synchronization with web option (good for backup, etc.)
  • Help is actually pretty good & useful
  • Has built-in shopping lists (including $ totals, mostly don't need that, but might be useful for some)
  • Has some search capability (handy for finding stuff)

Cons:

• Doesn't seem to let you have list entries with multiple fields (just one text entry)
  • Could not really figure out the customized list entry
  • Does not seem to have folders of tasks (essentially flat, hierarchically)
  • List entries are very simplistic, just one text entry field, on a shopping list the $ is a second field, no way to edit or add fields or use a template, etc.

So the net on Superdroids Super List is that it's not bad, for what it does, shopping list function and synchronization are capabilities that kind of stand out as above and beyond the base list apps, but it kind of lacks the richness of templates and items with fields, templates, editing capabilities, etc., of ListPro.

So the search of a ListPro replacement continues

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
ListPro on Droid

Before someone asks or points this out, the ListPro developers are considering developing for Droid, they have support for multiple platforms as it is, but they have concerns about the time, market share (that one at least should go away pretty soon, given Droid's success), and whether people would pay for Apps in this price range (the old Android dilemma). I replied to their forum/Blog that I certainly would pay for ListPro (and eWallet, although there are some Apps for Droid that are maybe close enough there). Free Apps of course have their advantages, are are often good enough for simple stuff, but if you're a keeper of multiple lists, and I certainly am, with the ability to tailor the fields, control the views with checkboxes and flags, something with the richness of ListPro is worth the money. I easily save it back. But until the ListPro developers bring out a version for Droid, indeed if they ever do that, my search for an alternative continues.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
I use the apps organizer app and luv it

I took a look at Apps Organizer, in the marketplace, and it does sound like a nice list function for Applications. The video at:

Apps Organizer v1.4 Application for Android | Tools

gives pretty good demo. I don't have so many Apps loaded up yet that I need it just yet, but I can see that down the road, it might be useful. I might load it at that point. But it also doesn't do what I'm after , in terms of being a generalized list creator/management app. Sort of like a lot of the List or Organizer functions on the Droid, good for one purpose, I'm really after something more multipurpose.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
Before someone asks or points this out, the ListPro developers are considering developing for Droid, they have support for multiple platforms as it is, but they have concerns about the time, market share (that one at least should go away pretty soon, given Droid's success), and whether people would pay for Apps in this price range (the old Android dilemma). I replied to their forum/Blog that I certainly would pay for ListPro (and eWallet, although there are some Apps for Droid that are maybe close enough there). Free Apps of course have their advantages, are are often good enough for simple stuff, but if you're a keeper of multiple lists, and I certainly am, with the ability to tailor the fields, control the views with checkboxes and flags, something with the richness of ListPro is worth the money. I easily save it back. But until the ListPro developers bring out a version for Droid, indeed if they ever do that, my search for an alternative continues.

Here's the link to the ListPro discussion, over on the Illium BLOG:

Advisory Board Assignment #3: Android! Ilium Software Blog

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
Mobisle Notes (Free)

Mobisle Notes (Free)

Next I've tried Mobisle Notes (free), which was suggested in another newsgroup as a check list function. It basically does that, graphically it's not bad.

tFi.u.cs.png

See also: MobisleApps's Photos - Mobisle Notes | Facebook

and

MobisleNotes (Free) v1.2.0 Application for Android | Productivity

Pros:

• Relatively easy to use
  • Not visually bad at all, gets it mostly right, check boxes, greyed out a bit once checked, etc.
  • Visually works pretty well with the Droid
  • Timestamps the list/entry

Cons:

• Does just one level of Folders for Lists (ListPro does multiple) or Lists of Lists more aptly in this case
  • List entries are very simplistic, just one text entry field, no way to edit or add fields or use a template, etc.
  • Doesn't seem to be a way to cause it sort entries on the list, or folders

In net, pretty quick and easy, one level one text field check box list App, not much else. OK for what it does, but doesn't do much. Of course, that's the free version.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
OI Shopping List

OI Shopping List

One of the applications I tried as a ListPro substitute was OI Shopping List (1.2 level).

shoppinglist-1-0-0-a.png

Details @: OI Shopping list | OpenIntents

Pros:

• Supports Multiple Lists (via pull down, does not list them in folders)
  • Otherwise relatively easy and intuitive to use
  • Sorting of list by:
    • Alphabetical
    • Newest First
    • Oldest First
    • tags alphabetical
    • Most Expensive/Least Expensive
    • Checked to the bottom
  • Has Themes (this one's pretty marginal, but default is OK)
  • Allows Tagging of entries
  • Checked off items can be set to "disappear" or sort to the bottom (actually kind of useful)
  • Two extensions available on Android Marketplace: OI Voice Notes, OI Convert CSV

Cons:

• The entries are relatively fixed and don't have many fields (just description, price, quantity)
  • Search for program updates seems to be for some reason manual
  • Clean up list seems to delete items, not clear if there's any way to get them back (good enough for one-time shopping lists, but not good if you want to use it as a recurring list of some sort)
  • Doesn't seem to have a tag search function (at least that I could find)
  • No details or text field (pretty much everything you type in shows on the list, but if you're for instance price shopping, and want to enter where and $, then the list gets pretty big
  • No template or custom card capability (ala ListPro)
  • No clear checkmarks function (clean deletes them)
  • Lists confined to one level (no multiple or hierarchical folders)

In summary, OI Shopping List is a good, basic, free App, does just what it says it will do, shopping list. Nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing like ListPro, which is much richer functionally.

techguru

Reaction score
I too have been trying to find a replacement for ListPro, and my findings pretty much match yours. One other I tried was Upvise, but the UI was pretty clunky. I really hope Illium decides to release an Android version. I found plenty of decent replacements for eWallet, but nothing touches the functionality of ListPro.

Alan

dreemesicle

Reaction score
I'll be checking this thread often...I'm looking for the same thing. This is my first Smartphone so I'm not familiar with ListPro but after checking the link out, it's amazing and how I wish they would come up with something just as good for the Droid. In the meantime, my search begins :unsure:
I hope your holidays were fantastic!
Tammy*

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
LiveList (updated)

LiveList did an update, fixed a couple of problems, so this is an updated review, 0.2.0 level.

LiveList

Functionally, I would like something equivalent to ListPro, available on Windows Mobile and iPhone, that allows you to create lists. This can be a task list, or a shopping list, and you can define the fields in the list, sort on any field (kind of look at it as columns in the database or spreadsheet). Lists can be put into folders, folders can be put in folders. There are special check and flag fields, and options to control whether or not check'd items continue to be displayed, resetting the checklist (to do again), etc. So mostly I'm comparing LiveList against the "ideal" as it were. So far, no List app for Android has stacked up, so it's all a case of "how close".

LiveList is from Formal Bowler Software:

Formal Bowler Software - Android Development - LiveList

What was added for this version is a priority field, which actually helps a lot, whether it's a ultimately a shopping list, or task list, or whatever. Priorities are shown by a color (red=high, yellow=medium, low=green, non=grey).

AllListsView.png
ItemListView.png

The counts are the number of items left to do in the list. 0=nothing left. Etc. The 2nd. number is the total items on the list.

Pros:
  • Relatively easy to Use
  • Does support one level of folders (multiple lists)
  • Has Priority field (useful, just added, High/Medium/Low, or None)
  • Can sort by priority (also new, useful)
  • Has Check All/Uncheck All functions for lists
  • Allows you to set screen text size

Cons:
  • Does just one level of Folders for Lists (ListPro does multiple)
  • Clear checked items doesn't clear the checkmarks, but deletes the item (it does prompt, but it really should have been delete checked items in the bar)
  • List entries are very simplistic, just one text entry field, no way to edit or add fields or use a template, etc. (examples: Quantity, Price, Notes (text) field that shows only when item is in edit, etc.
  • Doesn't seem to be a way to cause it alphabetically sort entries on the list, or folders
  • Long entries tend to wrap and take up a lot of screen space

So I guess my net would be that LiveList is good for simple, one level, one field (text) type lists. With the extensions, it's better, but it has a ways to go before it matches up with ListPro. But for a very simple list function, this is not bad.

Taurus

Reaction score
I too have been trying to find a replacement for ListPro, and my findings pretty much match yours. One other I tried was Upvise, but the UI was pretty clunky. I really hope Illium decides to release an Android version. I found plenty of decent replacements for eWallet, but nothing touches the functionality of ListPro.

Alan

Could you please list your eWallet replacements? Thanks.

** Found it on another thread, thanks.

Last edited:

drowe

Reaction score
I've been using Note Everything Pro to replace the grocery list I had in listpro. It allows the creation of checklists that can be All, Need, or Done. That lets me move items from All to Need and when I pick them up they are Done. It won't replace listpro, but for my uses it works fine.

I went back to SplashID for my wallet. I used it years ago on my Palm and it is still a good way to keep that information.

Remember, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it :)

David

P_McNeal

Reaction score
I use SplashShopper on my old Palm, so I've also been sweating a solid replacement. The skimpy lists so far are not cutting it.

Thanks for your excellent and succinct reviews; I am now bookmarking this thread. Here's to a useful app appearing soon.

To the other poster, I use SplashID for encrypted wallet info, which has been ported to Android. It hasn't got the best reviews in the market, though, so I've been hesitant to drop any coin on it. On the plus side, it's easily converted via its Desktop client.