1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Light Bleeding from Back/Menu/Home Buttons???

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by gmace001, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmace001

gmace001 New Member

I'm noticing that there is a line of light escaping from the buttons on the bottom of the phone onto the screen. If I look at the phone dead on, I can't see it, but if you angle the phone just a little bit, you can see that extra light shining onto the screen. I bought the phone yesterday and took it back today because of it, and they said that the seal had separated inside the screen. Problem is, the new phone does it too.

Anyone else notice this?
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Come on seriously. Not to be an arse but that's just nuts. All the devices do this. Its not hurting anything its light : )

The screen is sealed fine so stop taking them back. Its normal.
  3. cereal killer

Come on seriously. Not to be an arse but that's just nuts. All the devices do this. Its not hurting anything its light : )

The screen is sealed fine so stop taking them back. Its normal.
  4. gmace001

gmace001 New Member

so you see a bright line of light going along the bottom of your screen? I think it's perfectly acceptable for me to ask whether this is normal or a defect, especially given the price tag.
  5. gmace001

gmace001 New Member

This is what I'm seeing, but it's actually a lot brighter than the camera captured. I only ask this because all of the videos I've seen on youtube don't demonstrate this line of light. I've seen hands-on reviews in the dark where you don't see that line, so I'm just a bit concerned.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. jdubbs23

jdubbs23 New Member

Mine looks like that, I think its fine.
  7. cLovis_ll

cLovis_ll New Member

mine has that too but it doesnt really bother me that much..
  8. tablatronix

tablatronix New Member

Mine does that too.

Those lights really suck when you have auto brightness on and try to watch movies and video in the dark. Until there is a hack to turn those lights off or adjust the ambient light sensors sensitivity I find it helpful to turn the brightness all the way down and that allowed them to turn off.
  9. zzyxer

zzyxer New Member

dudeeee! i have the same problem! i just bought my phone last night, but the technie at best buy dropped it on the ground (carpet) and just picked it up and ignored it while working on setting it up for me. i really wanted a different one after that but didnt say anything lol. then i noticed the light bleeding around the screen edges and the screen seems to be a little bit more to the right than the left inside the glass.. i thought it mightve been from that?? please PM me and tell me this is normal... :reddroid:

10. mark729

mark729 New Member

mine does that too. it looks like defective...
    not looking good and annyong me alot whenever watching video.
    [​IMG]
  11. Furobins

Furobins New Member

Soft Key Backlight Leaking

Hey everyone,

I just exchanged my first Droid for another one due to random reboots and call quality issues. My newer one does not have this problem, however I noticed that the white backlighting seems to leak from the bottom. Also, the menu soft key is light much brighter than the other keys. It is somewhat difficult to tell in the pictures, but it is quite obvious in person. I went back to the store and they said this is perfectly normal, which I think is full of crap. I was curious if any one else had this problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  12. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Oh no, you need to plug that light bleed up. Hurry and call Verizon tech support about that. If you let it bleed like that for too long, the screen will get dimmer and eventually go black as ALL the light would have leaked out. Also that light leaking everywhere isn't good for your health or the environment.
  13. cereal killer

merged thread
  14. Wolfwise

Wolfwise New Member

Menu Buttons

Yup mine does it too. Pics look just like my phone. Before the upgrade you could actually get the home screens to turn off with the auto brightness off. Now they stay on inb the dark. Hoping someone writes an app to turn them off manually. I dont think its anything other than a design flaw. Guess the testers never tried the phone in the dark. You get used to it after awhile and there is the hope for an app in the future.
  15. Furobins

Furobins New Member

My apologies, I just found the other thread. Thanks for the move.

Anyways, I am almost certain it's something wrong with a batch of phones. My first phone I purchased definitely did not have this problem. However, the Best Buy rep I was speaking to (I had originally bought it from him also) showed me his own phone, which had the same issue. He also opened up two other new ones, both of which also had it. It may be a quality control issue.

Regardless, yes it is a minor issue, but for those of us who have it, it's worrisome. It's significant enough that it shouldn't happen to an expensive piece of tech we purchased and continue to use on contract.
  16. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I've got it an I have to aggree with CK, it's N-O-R-M-A-L.
  17. Wolfwise

Wolfwise New Member

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any pics of one that does not have the light bleed? I would be interested in seeing this if its true. The only pics I have ever seen are ones with the light coming through and that leads me to belive it is normal and on all the phones.
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I don't know if it's normal or not. I can't see it on my phone.

It seems to me that people will go to all kinds of lengths to findu
    . something wrong with their phone. It isn't just the Droid. I saw this with my Storm too. People it's a phone, but you expect it to be a laptop with a huge processor. And then there's the comment about the supposed high cost of this phone. I'll bet most people didnt pay more then 200.00 after rebate for the Droid.

I think its time for a reality check.
  19. bluedust

bluedust New Member

I was just thinking this, I was busy finding some new icons to put on my Droid while playing some SNES and listening to Howard 101 on Droidlive, and I come here and see some guy *****ing about light leak.. lol, ok.

Some issues I can understand, not being able to call handsfree from bluetooth is huge, and I can't believe they left that out.. really stupid. But light leak? With accompanying detailed pictures? lol

Some people thrive on rage I guess.
  20. Furobins

Furobins New Member

Including yourself. Antagonizing people who have a legitimate issue isn't conducive to anything except your own gratification.

Yes, I'm using my Droid, playing GameBoid, listening to Pandora while checking my mail and navigating to different places. But that doesn't change the fact that there is an issue. No one is raging here, it's a discussion of something that is bothering some users. Your contribution, or lack of one, doesn't help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

droid 3 button bleed

droid 3 has light leakage

htc dna light bleed left button

light bleed buttons

light bleeding droid 3

light button bleed droid 3

light button bleed droid 3 motorola

my phones menu key light is dimmer than the other keys

samsung note soft keys light leakage